Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by desertdwelleraz
Just got pending on a Marriott app. Is the general wisdom right now to resist calling recon and just wait for the process to run its course or should I just go ahead and call? I have had really good luck with recon in the past (never unsuccessful), and I typically never get instant approvals with Chase. I have opened way more than 5 accounts total in the last 2 years though, so if that is a factor, I may very well be toast.

If they just want me to move some credit around, would they let me know that or would it come as a denial that I would ultimately have to try recon for anyway?

I have low 800s scores and a good income. I currently have 5 personal and 2 biz Chase cards and a good relationship with them. Did not lower any current limits before applying, but I do have a couple that have plenty of room to decrease.
Update: At day 5 now since application, the automated message has changed from "2 weeks" to "we will notify you in writing of our decision within 30 days". Is this good or bad in anyone else's experience? Does it likely mean they just need information from me for verification and then it will be approved? I am not sure if there is value in continuing to hold out or if I should go ahead and call and talk with someone in verification instead of recon. Thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:13 pm

Thanks for the advice and info, Knowledgeispower and Brewer20. I just called the automated line, and it says I've been approved. Did not expect anything to happen that fast without talking to a human, but I'll take it!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by mareh
I applied for a Hyatt Card yesterday, and didn't get instant approval. [...]
I've gotten 3 new cards in the past year, and 3 in the year before that, so I agree that it might be difficult to get co-branded cards from Chase now too.
I just called the automated line, and it says I've been approved.
Funny, the Cargo Cultists in this thread keep insisting that the 5/24 policy applies to co-branded cards. Clearly, your data point -- and all data points inconsistent with their ruminations -- is a travesty.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by desertdwelleraz
Update: At day 5 now since application, the automated message has changed from "2 weeks" to "we will notify you in writing of our decision within 30 days". Is this good or bad in anyone else's experience? Does it likely mean they just need information from me for verification and then it will be approved? I am not sure if there is value in continuing to hold out or if I should go ahead and call and talk with someone in verification instead of recon. Thoughts?
I'm waiting to find out about a similar situation. I've definetely applied for more than 5 cards in the past 24 months. I applied for the United MP Exp Business card and got the pending message as well with an automated line saying "....2 weeks...."
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by RNE
Huh? The wiki should contain statements that are found to be true—not ones yet to be found "untrue."

How about this? "Starting in May 2015, Chase began denying applications for its own branded cards (e.g., Sapphire Preferred, Freedom) and possibly cobranded cards (United, Hyatt, IHG, etc) if the applicant's credit report shows too many opened cards. This amount may be 5 credit cards in the past 24 months.

Will the Cabal allow even theses modest and entirely reasonable modifications? No. Every attempt to make changes is summarily undone. It is not a wiki. It's a manifesto!
Don't forget the uncertainty of business cards. Chase business cards might not count to that number if they are actually registered to a business rather than a sole proprietorship.

I'm not sure we've seen an uptick in denials for cobranded cards though. While people applying for Freedom/Sapphire/Slate have been given language about '5 cards' I haven't seen a single denial quoting this reason for a cobranded card.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I wouldn't be surprised if the number of closed cards in recent times plays as much a part as the opened ones.

Canceling cards soon after bonuses are credited, in some cases 3 months from card approval, canceling by SM, etc., bragging on blogs about it etc., lowering CLs prior to new apps, etc., etc., can't help but hurt approvals.

And I call IMMEDIATELY if it says to, so far its been to verify identity.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mhdena
I wouldn't be surprised if the number of closed cards in recent times plays as much a part as the opened ones. Canceling cards soon after bonuses are credited, in some cases 3 months from card approval, canceling by SM, etc., bragging on blogs about it etc., lowering CLs prior to new apps, etc., etc., can't help but hurt approvals.
Winner of the coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!

RNE, congratulating you.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:32 pm

Thanks for the advice and info, Knowledgeispower and Brewer20. I just called the automated line, and it says I've been approved. Did not expect anything to happen that fast without talking to a human, but I'll take it!
^
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Congrats!!

Originally Posted by beltway
Funny, the Cargo Cultists in this thread keep insisting that the 5/24 policy applies to co-branded cards. Clearly, your data point -- and all data points inconsistent with their ruminations -- is a travesty.
No one is insisting the "5/24" policy applies to the co-branded cards. All we are saying is co-branded cards haven't been 100% as easy as they used to be. In the past you could apply for a co-branded card with many recent card open without a problem. Now there is a possibility it will be denied for many recent accounts, but what triggers that denial isn't determined (it doesn't seem to be a hard rule and is probably a number of factors including but not limited to your total credit line with Chase and probably your banking history with them).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:41 am
RNE

Ummm, did you forget anyone in that list of thank yous?

RNE, channeling the late, erstwhile Jacob Rodney Cohen to say, "I don't get no respect!"
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:06 am

Risk in applying when chances of rejection are fair-to-good?

What are the risks/downsides in being rejected for a co-branded card?

I suspect that I'm near my limit with Chase. I opened 7 cards in 2014 (inc. 2 with Chase -- CSP and BA) and 5 more in 2015 (inc United business & Marriott). For the most recent acceptance (UA business), the approval took 10 days -- far longer than any card previously. (As background, I've got excellent FICOs, currently have 4 Chase cards, and tend to put a smattering of charges on each card most months.)

Next on my list is Hyatt now that they've become semi-churnable. If I apply for one this fall and get declined, would that rejection negatively impact my re-applying for the same card in 2016?

Just to be clear: I'm not so much looking for speculation as to whether the application would be successful -- I'm interested in understanding the effects and downsides of a rejected application, beyond the obvious hard pull.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:36 am
RNE

Originally Posted by wideman
Next on my list is Hyatt now that they've become semi-churnable. If I apply for one this fall and get declined, would that rejection negatively impact my re-applying for the same card in 2016?

Just to be clear: I'm not so much looking for speculation as to whether the application would be successful -- I'm interested in understanding the effects and downsides of a rejected application, beyond the obvious hard pull.
That, my sagacious friend, is the salient question—one nobody is asking because they're too busy debating how many credit cards can dance on the head of a pin. Unfortunately, nobody can know your answer. I suspect not even Chase itself knows.

RNE, with a cloudy crystal ball.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Ummm, did you forget anyone in that list of thank yous?

RNE, channeling the late, erstwhile Jacob Rodney Cohen to say, "I don't get no respect!"
Okay, thank you, RNE. @:-)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Yet the wiki prominently perpetuates that myth about co-branded cards: "but not United, Hyatt, IHG, etc." No mitigation whatsoever in that paragraph.
That paragraph is only about denials for 5 (or so) cards in the past 24 (or so) months.

Please make up your mind, are there multiple reasons churners get turned down or only one? But did all of them start in May, or only one?

Some of us are trying to separate the multiple reasons for denials. Statements which lump them all together (without explaining that there can be multiple reasons for denials) are not helpful IMHO.

And those multiple reasons have to be parsed carefully in datapoints. Not all datapoints have enough information to figure out the real reason for denial. I have seen no datapoints yet which clearly demonstrated that 5 (or so) cards opened at any banks in the past 24 (or so) months was the sole reason for denial for a partner card so far.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 1, 2015 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You keep ignoring that distinction when it's convenient to you bashing what other people say here, but then in other posts you bring up that distinction when it's convenient to illustrate a point you're trying to make.
It's simple, really. The members of the Chase Cargo Cult have two fundamental beliefs:
  • There is no 5/24 rule.
  • The 5/24 rule applies both to Chase UR cards and co-branded cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.