Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by joscofra
I've been following this thread since May and would like some advice on timing.
I definitely want the Ink+, and despite concerns that no matter what I do I will be denied I want to make a best attempt.

last 24 months:
1/15: Chase BA - had to close 5/15 to open Freedom
2/15: Barclay Aviator
2/15: AmEx PRG
3/15: Citi PS AA
5/15: CSP (called recon after pending and they approved quickly)
5/15: Freedom (had to call recon 3x and they finally relented after proposing to close BA)
also in there is a silly Synchrony Amazon card that I inadvertently got.

So as you can see, not very good odds, but I'm willing to risk an HP. I'll apply for the AmEx biz gold if I'm denied.

Q: I'm thinking to apply after Aug 25 (last card was approved May 15) online with no recon calls no matter what. Should I wait longer? Would a month or 2 waiting make any difference? If I apply for the AmEx I would need to get it by Dec to put property taxes on it - am aiming for the 75K bonus for 10K spend. Ideally I could do both if the Ink is approved by Sep.

any thoughts? thanks.
Last year I waited two months and 27 days between Chase business card applications and was denied. I waited four more months and was approved for the Ink Plus and the CSP on the same day.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:47 am
RNE

I'm willing to risk an HP.
Good. Hard pulls are nothing substantial or longlasting. Folks with robust FICOs should fear them not.

Q: I'm thinking to apply after Aug 25 (last card was approved May 15) online with no recon calls no matter what. Should I wait longer?
If you can wait a year longer, yeah.

Would a month or 2 waiting make any difference?
Probably not. Your card gestalt is indicative of a rewards chaser. Just saying.

If I apply for the AmEx I would need to get it by Dec to put property taxes on it - am aiming for the 75K bonus for 10K spend. Ideally I could do both if the Ink is approved by Sep.
Dunno.

any thoughts? thanks.
Despite my foregoing doom and gloom, if I were you, I'd apply on August 25 as planned. You might beat the odds.

RNE, pointing out: had I gone with the odds, I never would have met or married TSMRSRNE.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by RNE
If you can wait a year longer, yeah.
I could wait if I get the AmEx now. I just want to make sure I don't run out of avios since I need a 9000 pt RT every month. Would rather not have to pay, although it I had TY pts it wouldn't be a big deal with the 1.6 deal on AA.

Originally Posted by RNE
Your card gestalt is indicative of a rewards chaser. Just saying.
guilty as charged. though I don't do any MS and so justify it to myself. Big bad banks, y'know.

Originally Posted by RNE
Despite my foregoing doom and gloom, if I were you, I'd apply on August 25 as planned. You might beat the odds.
thanks for your opinion, no real harm in trying, right? If it doesn't work, I'll just wait the year or so...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been following this thread since May and would like some advice on timing.
I definitely want the Ink+, and despite concerns that no matter what I do I will be denied I want to make a best attempt.

last 24 months:
1/15: Chase BA - had to close 5/15 to open Freedom
2/15: Barclay Aviator
2/15: AmEx PRG
3/15: Citi PS AA
5/15: CSP (called recon after pending and they approved quickly)
5/15: Freedom (had to call recon 3x and they finally relented after proposing to close BA)
also in there is a silly Synchrony Amazon card that I inadvertently got.

So as you can see, not very good odds, but I'm willing to risk an HP. I'll apply for the AmEx biz gold if I'm denied.

Q: I'm thinking to apply after Aug 25 (last card was approved May 15) online with no recon calls no matter what. Should I wait longer? Would a month or 2 waiting make any difference? If I apply for the AmEx I would need to get it by Dec to put property taxes on it - am aiming for the 75K bonus for 10K spend. Ideally I could do both if the Ink is approved by Sep.

any thoughts? thanks.
What are your credit limits on your existing Chase cards? Do you need them to stay that high? Can you lower them in the meantime (ASAP, so it's as long as possible before your Aug 25 application attempt)? The most success is had with "instant" approvals, and lowering your credit limit ahead of time might help with increasing the chances of that (though your track record for "instant" approvals so far doesn't seem so good based on what you wrote).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:40 pm

total CL over the 3 cards is $26K. I thought about lowering that, but I don't want to right now since I'm in the middle of making min spend on 2 of them - don't want utilization to be >50%. If I decide to wait until next year to apply then I'll probably lower the Freedom limit later this year, but I don't think I have time for it to make a positive difference if I apply for the Ink+ in the next couple of months. Not sure what Chase's max CL for me would be. Hopefully I haven't hit it yet, although them making me close the BA card indicates I might be there or close...

edit: should also say that I have another 3 cards that are much older - BoA from 1999, Chase Amazon from 2009, and Cap1 Quicksilver from 2011. That's what I meant about the 3 Chase cards, not the closed BA one...

edit #2: well I took another look at my accounts and I could actually lower the Freedom limit now by 7K. So the question is should I/shouldn't I? Could maybe apply a few months later and save the AmEx for fall 2016...hmm...

Last edited by joscofra; Jul 29, 2015 at 2:08 pm Reason: new thought
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:43 pm

Help Needed/Advice on Chase Applications CSP/Freedom For A College Student

I am looking for advice on how to apply for the CSP/Freedom cards. I first started researching Churning/MS back in May and got too excited about how awesome the CSP card is I applied, but got denied. Reason stated income too low. I did not think that calling back for a reconsideration would help until it was too late. Now I know I can add my scholarships and other forms of income not on the books when I can them. Since I am a full time student I only rack in ~11k on the books per year.

I am 20 now, and I started my credit when I was 16 pretty good history for someone my age. When I applied for the CSP my credit score was 740-770, but a month after I bought a car and did not go to the bank first to pre approve so they kept running my score lower and lower with credit apps to the banks. My score was 747 when they came back so still not too bad, but I also applied for two credit cards from the bank I actually use (CL of 28k total). I believe I am around 720+ now which I am sure is going up. I wanted to wait 6-12 months before applying for these to get my credit score back up and stand a better chance. With Chase’s new rules on applications with the 5 CC limit in the past 2 years I technically have applied for 3/5 even though I was approved for only 2.

I plan on applying for the CSP before the Freedom as it is harder to get. I have since then opened a checking account with Chase and will soon be opening up a savings as well to help myself be a better candidate, but I still use my primary bank instead of Chase because it is so much more convenient (which I can use as a persuasion point to Chase since they are right across the street).

Some things to help me for next time even if I get denied and call back the reconsideration line:

Salary: 11k/yr plus an extra 1-2k/yr from other jobs off paper, ~40-50k in scholarships and awards = 50-60k

How I want to give them my business instead of my bank I am currently at. They are right across the street from each other.

I also plan on moving to Texas within the Decade. I am going to be studying Anesthesia and the plan is to open up my own practice. Coincidently Chase has the biggest footprint in Texas and would be awesome to be connected with them. Again with the “I want to give you my business” approach.

I would try to play it off as I am not interested in the rewards part, but talk about how they have a 5k bonus for an AU and can then talk about how that would then combine Salary into household income.

I am also a dual citizen and will be traveling so if they ask why I want this card specifically I can say that it has no foreign transaction fee which is what I am looking for, plus it is a Visa which is more widely accepted abroad (especially my country of the Philippines) compared to my AMEX.

Any suggestions/feedback/comments helping me get approved would be greatly appreciated. Like I said above, I believe I will apply again for the CSP first and then the freedom. Would it be beneficial to do it both at the same time and only take one credit hit? Would it be better to apply for it in branch? Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by gil123
I had gotten pending on the Marriott app (with half as many cards as you) and called in before I get any letter and their answer was too many cards open and closed in the past two years (I had done about 5-6 per year, mixed Chase and other banks). I offered to move around my ample CL from other cards and they declined. So I would say, don't call in- but I would also speculate it probably won't make any difference if you do because end result will be the same. The CR just kept repeating too many cards opened in past two years. I think the whole CL thing is a red herring and won't save you once they decide you are a "reward seeker". Only other metric I can think of that may have worked against me is utilization. I wasn't putting much spend on my existing Chase cards. Maybe good for my FICO but not sure whether Chase looks at that and if so whether that helps put the nail in the coffin.

Some of you guys are funny. You want so much to believe (as did I) that it couldn't happen to you and that you can continue to work the system no matter what that you discount any reports to the contrary.

Will be interested in how desertdwelleraz does so please report back but I think you are probably toast too.
Update: Just called automated application status line and got the message that I would hear something in "2 weeks". I believe that it typically says "7-10 days" in the case of denials, so I am still holding out hope and not calling recon. I am 2 days out from the application at this point.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
total CL over the 3 cards is $26K. I thought about lowering that, but I don't want to right now since I'm in the middle of making min spend on 2 of them - don't want utilization to be >50%. If I decide to wait until next year to apply then I'll probably lower the Freedom limit later this year, but I don't think I have time for it to make a positive difference if I apply for the Ink+ in the next couple of months. Not sure what Chase's max CL for me would be. Hopefully I haven't hit it yet, although them making me close the BA card indicates I might be there or close...

edit: should also say that I have another 3 cards that are much older - BoA from 1999, Chase Amazon from 2009, and Cap1 Quicksilver from 2011. That's what I meant about the 3 Chase cards, not the closed BA one...

edit #2: well I took another look at my accounts and I could actually lower the Freedom limit now by 7K. So the question is should I/shouldn't I? Could maybe apply a few months later and save the AmEx for fall 2016...hmm...
In my honest opinion Chase requiring you to close a card to open a new one means you've hit their max limit. I would not hesitate to lower your credit limit on the Freedom because we don't know how early is early enough, so the earlier the better. (If you read my post a few pages back I lowered my CL just an hour before my application, and even though it shows on my Chase.com account as lowered it didn't show in their system when I applied, and even when I called they stated my max limit and quoted for me the previous CL number before I did the decrease).

That being said, it may be at least a month if not longer until it registers in their system. It could be 24 hours but there are no real data points I'm aware of. I would lower it either way because if it doesn't help you for this card it will help you for a future application with Chase anyways. In the past lowering your CL was a bad idea because you could always use that CL as a "bargaining chip" to transfer from 1 card in order to open another, and for that reason people recommending maintaining your limits, even when closing accounts.

Unfortunately now with this "new policy", having to call a representative which in the past would have just required a moving around of credit is no longer a good path to take because they are applying more stringent criteria and are less likely to approve you.

YMMV.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
I would not hesitate to lower your credit limit on the Freedom because we don't know how early is early enough, so the earlier the better.
yes, you are probably right. I should do this and then maybe wait until late Nov/early Dec to apply for the Ink. If it's denied there's still time to apply for the AmEx biz gold for prop tax season, and if approved against all odds, that can then easily wait until next fall. I should probably get an Everyday to replace the PRG when AF hits anyway.

thanks for your pov!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Anyone get a call from Chase at 302-427-3930? Tried my Cell and Office but didn't leave a message. Tired calling the number and it is a recording referring me to the number on the back of my card.

Seemed very odd to me and is just a little over two weeks since my Ink app. Didn't get an instant approval and the automated line initially said I'd get an answer in 2 weeks. Now the message is a little different and says 30 days.

Have been avoiding calling the recon line. Don't expect any trouble getting approved, just didn't want the hassle or the grilling so many have recounted. Long standing Chase customer (12+ years), 800+ FICO, only 2 cards in the last two years, sole proprietor, high household and side business income.

Does the change in automated message mean a decision has been made (+ or -)?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DeaconY
Anyone get a call from Chase at 302-427-3930? Tried my Cell and Office but didn't leave a message. Tired calling the number and it is a recording referring me to the number on the back of my card.

Seemed very odd to me and is just a little over two weeks since my Ink app. Didn't get an instant approval and the automated line initially said I'd get an answer in 2 weeks. Now the message is a little different and says 30 days.

Have been avoiding calling the recon line. Don't expect any trouble getting approved, just didn't want the hassle or the grilling so many have recounted. Long standing Chase customer (12+ years), 800+ FICO, only 2 cards in the last two years, sole proprietor, high household and side business income.

Does the change in automated message mean a decision has been made (+ or -)?
It probably means they are waiting on you to provide them more information about the business which is why the app is being delayed because they haven't been able to reach you.

I would recommend you call because if you really only had 2 cards in the last 2 years and a 12+ year relationship with Chase you have absolutely nothing to fear. You probably will be approved they may just need to verify some information.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
Yes but it is usually combination of things that include churning cards and MS.
Of course; I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I don't think that someone that exclusively uses cards for bonus categories will have any sort of trouble without other aggravating factors.

I was just replying to the claim that:

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't yet recall a datapoint which said "you've been using our cards a lot, but you never use any card in a situation where it earns the least points".
And my point is just that it can be a part of the picture when a human is interrogating your profile.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by CRNA
I am looking for advice on how to apply for the CSP/Freedom cards. I first started researching Churning/MS back in May and got too excited about how awesome the CSP card is I applied, but got denied. Reason stated income too low. I did not think that calling back for a reconsideration would help until it was too late. Now I know I can add my scholarships and other forms of income not on the books when I can them. Since I am a full time student I only rack in ~11k on the books per year.

I am 20 now, and I started my credit when I was 16 pretty good history for someone my age. When I applied for the CSP my credit score was 740-770, but a month after I bought a car and did not go to the bank first to pre approve so they kept running my score lower and lower with credit apps to the banks. My score was 747 when they came back so still not too bad, but I also applied for two credit cards from the bank I actually use (CL of 28k total). I believe I am around 720+ now which I am sure is going up. I wanted to wait 6-12 months before applying for these to get my credit score back up and stand a better chance. With Chase’s new rules on applications with the 5 CC limit in the past 2 years I technically have applied for 3/5 even though I was approved for only 2.

I plan on applying for the CSP before the Freedom as it is harder to get. I have since then opened a checking account with Chase and will soon be opening up a savings as well to help myself be a better candidate, but I still use my primary bank instead of Chase because it is so much more convenient (which I can use as a persuasion point to Chase since they are right across the street).

Some things to help me for next time even if I get denied and call back the reconsideration line:

Salary: 11k/yr plus an extra 1-2k/yr from other jobs off paper, ~40-50k in scholarships and awards = 50-60k

How I want to give them my business instead of my bank I am currently at. They are right across the street from each other.

I also plan on moving to Texas within the Decade. I am going to be studying Anesthesia and the plan is to open up my own practice. Coincidently Chase has the biggest footprint in Texas and would be awesome to be connected with them. Again with the “I want to give you my business” approach.

I would try to play it off as I am not interested in the rewards part, but talk about how they have a 5k bonus for an AU and can then talk about how that would then combine Salary into household income.

I am also a dual citizen and will be traveling so if they ask why I want this card specifically I can say that it has no foreign transaction fee which is what I am looking for, plus it is a Visa which is more widely accepted abroad (especially my country of the Philippines) compared to my AMEX.

Any suggestions/feedback/comments helping me get approved would be greatly appreciated. Like I said above, I believe I will apply again for the CSP first and then the freedom. Would it be beneficial to do it both at the same time and only take one credit hit? Would it be better to apply for it in branch? Thanks
My suggestion is wait until you get a full time job. The CSP is considered a premium card and thus they look at income and other things not just strictly credit scores. Example car payments and length of credit history. Get the Freedom card and use the 5X spends to build up a point total and then get a CSP later. It seems all the banks are getting tougher on CC approvals.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:36 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Chase soliciting credit increase

Chase is emailing & snail-mailing me weekly to increase the limit on my Freedom card (had awhile) with no credit check. Card limit is only $4,900 so I'm guessing there is some financial benefit for Chase to move me into a VISA Sig card?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, AMEX Pl, Hil Diam, Bon Plat
I have an old UA CC, Mileageplus from 15 years ago and stopped using about 4 years ago. I recently closed another MileagePlus Explorer (I believe it was Continental when I opened it). I kept the Mileageplus card for the history and overall CL purposes.

My understanding is typically it takes about 24 months after you cancel to get a new card for a sign-up bonus. Do I need to cancel this old MileagePlus card in order for me to open another one (2yrs from now) to get the bonus? Or will this cc make no differnce? Thanks in advance.

I posted this on the MS side. But it might be more applicable here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.