Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
Personal experience in Europe renting Avis Mercedes C-class station wagon using CSP
Backed into a pole and cracked a small plastic trim on the bumper. Avis Germany charged my card for the entire repair amount before I left their office. I took photos, and collected all the paperwork I could get. Avis Germany sent me finalized repair documents about 2 weeks later. Chase promptly reimbursed all charges. The process was smooth and easy.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Currently renting a BMW 420d out of Europcar (booked through rentalcars.com)

I declined CDW, having paid for all of it with the CSR.

They tell me that I will be responsible for 41000 Euros if anything happens to the car, since I didn't take their insurance.

Then they offer out of country insurance since I drove it to Austria for 15 Euros a day.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by chicago747
I was thinking of getting a non-owners policy for liability. I recently moved all my insurance to USAA and they quoted me $135/ 6 months.

I called Amex (have a Platinum card) and was told that paying anything towards the rental, including airport fees and taxes, will trigger the Premium coverage. The agent, who seemed extremely informative and confident in her answers, sent me the documentation....just haven't had time to go over it.

This is for a trip to Disney we're taking the sister-in-law + kids on so might just towncar to/from airport. At this point The Mouse has his hands firmly in my wallet...not sure why I'm fretting the car expenses too
USAA has simply the BEST service. If I frequently rented cars I would go this route just for the peace of mind. Currently though, I only rent quarterly and just leave it on my Chase card. Hope I'm making the right decision...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
USAA has simply the BEST service. If I frequently rented cars I would go this route just for the peace of mind. Currently though, I only rent quarterly and just leave it on my Chase card. Hope I'm making the right decision...
Credit cards only provide coverage for loss or damage to the rental car itself; a non-owned-auto liability-insurance policy provides third-party liability coverage, which is what you need in case you cause damage or injury to others with a rental car. Big difference.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
CSR CDW Coverage When Rental Insurance is Required

I have a trip to Mexico soon and will be renting a car there. Apparently, the law requires insurance from the rental agency. But under the CSR CDW rules, I must decline the rental agency's insurance in order to be covered by them.

So in this case, if I get the CDW from the rental agency, am I still covered under the CSR CDW?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by festriaqua
I have a trip to Mexico soon and will be renting a car there. Apparently, the law requires insurance from the rental agency. But under the CSR CDW rules, I must decline the rental agency's insurance in order to be covered by them.

So in this case, if I get the CDW from the rental agency, am I still covered under the CSR CDW?
Straight from the benefits guide:

What if the auto rental company insists that I purchase its car insurance or collision damage waiver?

Call the Benefit Administrator for help.
+1-888-675-1461.

Neil
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by festriaqua

No, that is not true. Mexican law only requires Liability Insurance for all drivers (even though 25% to 35% of the population still drive without it) and not CDW Insurance. So, you should only buy Liability Insurance and decline CDW from the rental car company (in the US, your own liability insurance almost always covers you for rental cars, and in Mexico, liability insurance almost always only covers the private car and not the person). Chase will be providing coverage for the CDW equivalent.

If you buy the CDW from the rental agency and it comes with a high deductible, you will NOT be covered by Chase. If you decline the CDW, then you will be cover by Chase's CDW with No Deductible.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
No, that is not true. Mexican law only requires Liability Insurance for all drivers (even though 25% to 35% of the population still drive without it) and not CDW Insurance. So, you should only buy Liability Insurance and decline CDW from the rental car company (in the US, your own liability insurance almost always covers you for rental cars, and in Mexico, liability insurance almost always only covers the private car and not the person). Chase will be providing coverage for the CDW equivalent.

If you buy the CDW from the rental agency and it comes with a high deductible, you will NOT be covered by Chase. If you decline the CDW, then you will be cover by Chase's CDW with No Deductible.
I'm running into a similar issue where all the rental cars in Praslin (Seychelles) come with CDW and then they have different "excess" levels, which I assume is the out of pocket they charge if you get into an accident. I'll have to call that number and inquire, because none of the car rental companies said they are able to drop or waive the CDW as they run small fleets of cars and have a 3rd party cover all the cars.

**Update

I called the 800 number and the Chase benefits rep said that if it is required by the local government or is for some reason included in the base cost of the rental that the coverage from Chase becomes secondary. If there is an excess (I assume this is their term for deductible), Chase will cover that.

For my trip to the Seychelles, the car comes with CDW with a 1,500 euro excess. So in that case Chase would cover the 1,500 euro if there was an accident.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Sep 25, 2017 at 8:32 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm running into a similar issue where all the rental cars in Praslin (Seychelles) come with CDW and then they have different "excess" levels, which I assume is the out of pocket they charge if you get into an accident. I'll have to call that number and inquire, because none of the car rental companies said they are able to drop or waive the CDW as they run small fleets of cars and have a 3rd party cover all the cars.

**Update

I called the 800 number and the Chase benefits rep said that if it is required by the local government or is for some reason included in the base cost of the rental that the coverage from Chase becomes secondary. If there is an excess (I assume this is their term for deductible), Chase will cover that.

For my trip to the Seychelles, the car comes with CDW with a 1,500 euro excess. So in that case Chase would cover the 1,500 euro if there was an accident.
That was what I was told for rentals in countries where the CDW is MANDATORY, i.e. included in the rental rate and one could not opt out. Chase cards would cover the "excess", provided you do NOT buy any additional coverage to reduce the excess. Just take the one included in the base rental car rate and the card would cover the excess in case you need to file a claim. But if you buy additional coverage to reduce the excess, you forfeit the card benefits.

You will know if the CDW is mandatory or not when you reserve the car on, say, Avis US website. If it is mandatory the opt out box is grayed out.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I know New Zealand is apparently mandatory.

I recently rented out of Munich and there it isn't mandatory but some will set a huge excess.

Europcar set it at 41,000 Euros for a BMW 420d.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
My current situation is I rented from Green Motion in Iceland, chipped the windshield and was forced to pay at the rental counter. Chase insists on being provided a Cost Matrix (all other paperwork has been provided) and Green Motion does not return emails, answer the phone, or allow messages to be left.

I’ve disputed the $750 charge with Chase now but it has yet to be taken off my statement. Not sure how to proceed.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Personal experience with Hertz:

In July, I used Hertz Points for a Car Rental in Salt Lake City and used my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for the associated taxes. I had an accident that broke the driver's side mirror and dented the door. I started a claim online before returning the car, so I already had a claim number. Filled out the accident report when returning the car.

I then had to download some info to the Chase site- this included my pick up receipt and return receipt showing the charges charged to my credit card and a copy of my credit card statement showing the charges.

All costs were paid directly by Chase.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
What is LLDW, and did you have the option to decline it? Where did the rental occur?

Last edited by Anon4512; Nov 9, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Anon4512
Limited loss damage waiver purchased from national car rental, covers damages up to 3,000 dollars to the rental car. Otherwise renter is responsible for remaining coverage.

I asked to decline all coverage, and the guy only offered me the Limited loss damage waiver (LLDW), instead of taking it all off completely (leaving me with the impression this was the lowest coverage possible). The rental occured in Philadelphia, PA. Now, I fear this will prevent me from using my Chase Sapphire CDW, as I attempt to pay over 15,000 dollars worth of damage. Any insight?
My insight is that your fear is well founded.
Happy likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker
Personal experience with Hertz:

In July, I used Hertz Points for a Car Rental in Salt Lake City and used my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for the associated taxes. I had an accident that broke the driver's side mirror and dented the door. I started a claim online before returning the car, so I already had a claim number. Filled out the accident report when returning the car.

I then had to download some info to the Chase site- this included my pick up receipt and return receipt showing the charges charged to my credit card and a copy of my credit card statement showing the charges.

All costs were paid directly by Chase.
Thank you for sharing the DP. Very useful in particular the part you started a claim before returning the car so you already had a claim number to put on the accident report when returning the car.

Very important to give the claim number to the rental car company when filing accident report.

We learned the importance from a bad experience years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.