Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by gnomey
has anyone rented from Zagreb Airport (Croatia) or Croatia in general before? did the car rental companies there force a huge security hold (a few thousands up to car value) on your card? or worse, refuse to rent to you unless you purchase insurance?

currently looking at alamo/enterprise/national

all rentals, when booked on US-based websites (.com) have no CDW etc included, the only item included is SLI, which is required by law
I rented from Hertz in Zagreb (non-airport location) in 2019 using my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. I do not recall whether they placed a security hold, but they definitely rented to me without requiring supplemental insurance. This rental was the only time I've had to claim against Chase's CDW benefit, as sometime during my rental, my parked car was hit leaving damage behind. When I returned the car (in Split), the agent was able to quote damages on the spot. I submitted rental agreements, charge for damage, photos, etc. to the claims administrator and had an ACH deposit in 6-8 weeks.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by lbbzman
I rented from Hertz in Zagreb (non-airport location) in 2019 using my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. I do not recall whether they placed a security hold, but they definitely rented to me without requiring supplemental insurance. This rental was the only time I've had to claim against Chase's CDW benefit, as sometime during my rental, my parked car was hit leaving damage behind. When I returned the car (in Split), the agent was able to quote damages on the spot. I submitted rental agreements, charge for damage, photos, etc. to the claims administrator and had an ACH deposit in 6-8 weeks.
thank you for sharing your experience. i think i will stick with my booiking then.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:05 pm

I recently used a Chase card, the United Quest specifically, for a car rental in Costa Rica. CR has very strict laws about car insurance; there's a basic mandatory insurance charge you must pay and additional insurance you can decline ONLY IF you can show that you're covered already. All I had to do was show a printout of the relevant page from the Chase site confirming insurance, and Alamo CR accepted it, no question. Over three weeks of rental this saved us several hundred dollars. Of course I didn't have a claim so can't speak to that.

Last edited by chicagoal; Mar 13, 2024 at 4:23 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:17 am

I have a CSR but I'm using ultimate rewards for the whole reservation. Will I still be covered for car insurance like CDW that the reserve covers you for?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sam007
I have a CSR but I'm using ultimate rewards for the whole reservation. Will I still be covered for car insurance like CDW that the reserve covers you for?
yes - as long as you use the card for a portion - doesn’t matter if you use UR or cash (or a mix). Should be covered.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes - as long as you use the card for a portion - doesn’t matter if you use UR or cash (or a mix). Should be covered.
not sure I understand, can I use UR for the whole reservation or do you suggest using UR + $1 of the chase reserve?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The terms of the CDW benefit are different than the terms for other Chase travel insurance.

How Do You Use the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver?
1. Use Your Account to initiate and complete Your entire car rental transaction.
Definitions
Account – Your credit card Account issued by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and/or its affiliates
See this post which points to another paragraph which clarifies that paying with Ultimate Rewards points qualifies as using your Account: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36138088-post746.html

Last edited by mia; Apr 5, 2024 at 11:25 am
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:49 pm

Folks - I know this has been discussed on this thread before but not recently. I have a CSR but I'm using ultimate rewards for the whole car reservation. Will I still be covered for car insurance like CDW that the reserve covers you for?
Also, does chase cover a driver like a spouse even if they aren't an authorized user?

Last edited by sam007; Apr 4, 2024 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
has anyone rented from Zagreb Airport (Croatia) or Croatia in general before? did the car rental companies there force a huge security hold (a few thousands up to car value) on your card? or worse, refuse to rent to you unless you purchase insurance?

currently looking at alamo/enterprise/national

all rentals, when booked on US-based websites (.com) have no CDW etc included, the only item included is SLI, which is required by law
happy to report that there is no shenanigans. rental folks even tell me upfront that only any car damage above 5 cm counts.

900 euros was held on card bc i decline everything. 900 euros was released to me upon car return. everything chillax
Rare likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
not sure I understand, can I use UR for the whole reservation or do you suggest using UR + $1 of the chase reserve?
All UR is fine. I’m saying it doesn’t matter.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:49 am

Folks - I know this has been discussed on this thread before but not recently. I have a CSR but I'm using ultimate rewards for the whole car reservation. Will I still be covered for car insurance like CDW that the reserve covers you for?
This is covered in the Guide to Benefits for the card, page 3: "You are covered when Your name is embossed on an eligible card issued in the United States, and You use Your credit card Account and/ or rewards programs associated with Your Account to initiate and complete Your entire car rental transaction."

Also, does chase cover a driver like a spouse even if they aren't an authorized user?
Again quoting from the Guide to Benefits (the very next sentence): "Only You, as the primary renter of the vehicle, and any additional drivers permitted by the Rental Car Agreement are covered."

Some rental car companies permit spouses to drive the car even if the spouse is not explicitly listed as an additional driver. You'll need to check the terms of the company you're using.
SPN Lifer and mia like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:29 pm

I have both - Ink business cash and reserve - which would will you use for car rental in the carribean - does one have better policies than the other with CDW, theft protection, etc

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2024, 6:05 am

I have both - Ink business cash and reserve - which would will you use for car rental in the carribean - does one have better policies than the other with CDW, theft protection, etc

Thanks
Anybody? Starting the car rental tomorrow - thanks
Old Apr 13, 2024, 11:32 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I have both - Ink business cash and reserve - which would will you use for car rental in the carribean
Is it a business rental? If something happens and you have a large claim against the Ink, how will you discuss the business nature of the rental if the insurance processor wants that information?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I used the Chase Sapphire Reserve to rent a car from Hertz in Chiang Mai Thailand around Christmas. I declined their CDW and was charge a $275 deposit which would have been done regardless of whether I took their insurance or not.

While out driving one day I clipped an oddly positioned sharp curb which promptly ripped the tire open and cracked the wheel. The local Hertz agency came out and replaced the tire and wheel for me so I could continue to use the vehicle for the remainder of my trip. Upon returning the vehicle I was presented with a bill for the destroyed tire and wheel. I used my CSR to pay the $230 for the damages and the Hertz agent promptly charged back my $275 deposit.

When I got back home I had other things going on and it took me about six weeks to get around to filing a claim with Chase. Instead of calling anyone I simply used their online system, closely followed the instructions, and made sure to upload everything they asked for or I thought relevant. I even went so far to mark-up my screenshots of my CSR statement and do the currency conversions from THB to USD so that whomever looked at my claim could easily make the connection to the receipts I had from Thailand that were in THB and the charges on my CSR in USD.

Upon completion of submitting my online claim I was told a claims examiner would be in contact with me within ten days. Seven days later I received an email that they found in my favor and that I would have the charge for the damages credited to my CSR within a couple of days. Two days later I received the credit and the claim was closed.

I never had to speak with anyone and it only cost me about 30 minutes of scanning, marking up and uploading documents. To say I'm pleased with how seamless and painless getting my CDW claim with Chase resolved was is an understatement.

Last edited by AndWhatsYourPoint; Apr 13, 2024 at 4:44 pm Reason: Typo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.