Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Will the rental company sell you just liability coverage for the same $5/day? That might be the better deal, since there is no $1,000 deductible with the Chase loss/damage coverage.
Unfortunately they bundle the liability+collision, so I'll be stuck with the $1000 bill if something goes wrong. Better than not having any liability coverage I guess. Sheesh, renting a car abroad is more complicated than I thought!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Third Party Liability

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Unfortunately they bundle the liability+collision, so I'll be stuck with the $1000 bill if something goes wrong. Better than not having any liability coverage I guess. Sheesh, renting a car abroad is more complicated than I thought!
In every country where I have rented a car, the rental agency included government mandated liability insurance. But it is often hard to find out what the limits are. I poked around the Hertz website for Sweden (where I just rented and have a copy of an Avis contract) and Anguilla. In short my Avis contract said "...covered for any damaged caused..." Hertz has Sweden TPL language "... limited coverage up to 5M USD...". So I had pretty high limits in front of my personal umbrella policy. I was good to go.

For Anguilla "Basic insurance includes limited coverage on bodily injury to persons other than the driver up to USD 100,000.00 for medical expenses per person and up to USD 300,000.00 for medical expenses per accident, and on property damage up to USD 50,000.00 per accident to anything other than the Hertz vehicle." Those limits are a little lower than my personal auto policy, so I would have a gap before my umbrella would kick in.

Your experience may differ.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Liability coverage also applies if you damage property, such as another car. CDW only covers damage to the rental car.
Originally Posted by smf_ltn
In every country where I have rented a car, the rental agency included government mandated liability insurance. But it is often hard to find out what the limits are. I poked around the Hertz website for Sweden (where I just rented and have a copy of an Avis contract) and Anguilla. In short my Avis contract said "...covered for any damaged caused..." Hertz has Sweden TPL language "... limited coverage up to 5M USD...". So I had pretty high limits in front of my personal umbrella policy. I was good to go.

For Anguilla "Basic insurance includes limited coverage on bodily injury to persons other than the driver up to USD 100,000.00 for medical expenses per person and up to USD 300,000.00 for medical expenses per accident, and on property damage up to USD 50,000.00 per accident to anything other than the Hertz vehicle." Those limits are a little lower than my personal auto policy, so I would have a gap before my umbrella would kick in.

Your experience may differ.
Interesting - where did you find that info? Thanks for sharing! Yeah, those limits are also lower than our personal auto policies. Oh well, fingers crossed!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Liability & CDW ?

DW and SIL will be renting a car in Hawaii this weekend. Both of their cards have only secondary coverage. I assume their own auto policy would cover all damages less their deductible? Then would their credit card cover anything?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
DW and SIL will be renting a car in Hawaii this weekend. Both of their cards have only secondary coverage. I assume their own auto policy would cover all damages less their deductible? Then would their credit card cover anything?
Typically, credit-card secondary coverage would pay up to the amount of the deductible; one's personal auto insurance would cover the rest of the damage, if the damage exceeded the amount of the deductible.
​​​​​​
But if only one credit card is used to initiate the rental, then only that card's benefits would apply.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by guv1976
Typically, credit-card secondary coverage would pay up to the amount of the deductible; one's personal auto insurance would cover the rest of the damage, if the damage exceeded the amount of the deductible.
​​​​​​
But if only one credit card is used to initiate the rental, then only that card's benefits would apply.
I thought you could only use 1 card per rental? Is it possible to use 2? Thx
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
I thought you could only use 1 card per rental? Is it possible to use 2? Thx
I think that you can only use one card to initiate the rental, but do some agencies require that additional drivers also show a valid credit card at pick-up? Not sure.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Interesting - where did you find that info? Thanks for sharing! Yeah, those limits are also lower than our personal auto policies. Oh well, fingers crossed!
Go to Hertz website and begin a reservation at your destination of choice. Enter location, date, time and click continue. Click on "Rental Qualifications and Requirements". Click on "Insurance & Waivers" then "Third Party Liability". A pop-up box with country relevant information,
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
With the benefits cutbacks, is there any meaningful difference between the Flex MC vs old Freedom Visa secondary car rental CDW?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:13 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
My experience with a Chase Ink claim for Thailand has been a nightmare. they use this company called Card Benefits Services.

Months have passed and every few weeks they send me an email stating the results of my claim that I’m missing one of the documents I’ve already sent multiple times. Every single time it’s a different document that they already have, it’s crazy. So I send it again, and they’ll revert and say they need another document which they asked for before and I’ve already sent. I documented everything perfectly as required. Their hold times are insane and their representatives tell me the same thing: “I’m not sure why they’re asking for the same documents again.”

It’s almost like they just don’t want to pay the claim and are hoping years of asking for the same documents and I’ll just give up.

is there any recourse? Any escalation path with Chase?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by b8b
My experience with a Chase Ink claim for Thailand has been a nightmare. they use this company called Card Benefits Services.

Months have passed and every few weeks they send me an email stating the results of my claim that I’m missing one of the documents I’ve already sent multiple times. Every single time it’s a different document that they already have, it’s crazy. So I send it again, and they’ll revert and say they need another document which they asked for before and I’ve already sent. I documented everything perfectly as required. Their hold times are insane and their representatives tell me the same thing: “I’m not sure why they’re asking for the same documents again.”

It’s almost like they just don’t want to pay the claim and are hoping years of asking for the same documents and I’ll just give up.

is there any recourse? Any escalation path with Chase?
If you are at a point where 100% of the required documents are submitted I suggest the following. After the representative tells you "I'm not sure why they're asking for the same documents again" I suggest you ask the following follow up questions:
1. I don't know either. Can you please look into why this is happening?
2. Can you please review the case notes to determine if there is an issue with the documents I have already submitted (illegible scan, missing pages, language barrier, etc.)?
3. Please let me speak to a supervisor to escalate this matter as we are going in circles here.

Might get somewhere with Chase if you complain to their upper management, but at the end it will just be to a higher person at "Card Benefit Services." Somewhere in Chase is a "liasion" to assist with this type of thing but I have no idea how you can get in touch with them.

Also suggest keeping the rental car agency appraised of your case number with Card Benefit Services and all communication.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:04 am
RNE

Originally Posted by b8b
I’ve already sent multiple times. Every single time it’s a different document that they already have, it’s crazy. So I send it again, and they’ll revert and say they need another document which they asked for before and I’ve already sent.
I had a problem like this once. Here's how I resolved it. After re-sending and re-sending individual documents as each was requested, I instead sent every document, not just the one requested. That worked. Good luck.
mia likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 12:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RNE
I had a problem like this once. Here's how I resolved it. After re-sending and re-sending individual documents as each was requested, I instead sent every document, not just the one requested.
Thanks. That would not have occurred to me. Now that you suggested it, I imagine a scenario where a reviewer receives a document and without looking at anything that has been received, thinks, "I need blah-blah; send a notification to the customer." The same thing happens with your solution, but the blah-blah is right there, and processing continues.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks. That would not have occurred to me. Now that you suggested it, I imagine a scenario where a reviewer receives a document and without looking at anything that has been received, thinks, "I need blah-blah; send a notification to the customer." The same thing happens with your solution, but the blah-blah is right there, and processing continues.

Thanks again.
probably because every time it is being reviewed , it is by a different person. and each of them is too lazy to check previous correspondence. the above suggestion is a good one.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:38 pm

does CSP coverage cover nail in tire?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.