Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For more current information on Chase-to-Chase UR transfers, see the wiki & discussion at 11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts.
Print Wikipost

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Just adding a data point that doesn't make sense to me.

My wife and I have a joint Chase account with checking, savings and investments. She has her own login info and what not.

I have my own CSR.
She has her own CSR.
I have a FU she's an AU on.

Wheb I initially tried to move her UR points, I input my CSR's card number. The system rejected it with a random error message and wouldn't let the transfer through.

When I specified the FU number instead, the transfer worked properly.

So it's possible there's a stricter check going on now. We have the same address etc.
I have long resorted to that the transfer only goes smoothly WHEN one spouse is the primary and the other is the AU. That is what I mentioned a few posts up back in November.

Now you have learned it that since both of you have the same FU card, the transfer going thru FU is smooth. Everything else does not go.

Banking products dont seem matter at all.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:29 pm

Just adding a data point that doesn't make sense to me.

My wife and I have a joint Chase account with checking, savings and investments. She has her own login info and what not.

I have my own CSR.
She has her own CSR.
I have a FU she's an AU on.

Wheb I initially tried to move her UR points, I input my CSR's card number. The system rejected it with a random error message and wouldn't let the transfer through.

When I specified the FU number instead, the transfer worked properly.

So it's possible there's a stricter check going on now. We have the same address etc.
My wife has only one chase card: CSR under her name and account
I have 5 chase cards including my own CSR.

I transferred her 100K+ UR points to my CSR using just my name and CSR card number no problem at all. Points show up immediately. This was less than a week ago.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by Need
My wife has only one chase card: CSR under her name and account
I have 5 chase cards including my own CSR.

I transferred her 100K+ UR points to my CSR using just my name and CSR card number no problem at all. Points show up immediately. This was less than a week ago.
Do you have the same last name? Maybe that's the issue for me as we don't.

Makes no sense since they know we're married, CPC, blah de blah.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:17 am

Chase Freedom issue

Hi all, I recently converted my Freedom Unlimited card to the regular Freedom with the 5% rotating categories. I tried to transfer some points to my Reserve account, but got an "unexpected error." I called and spoke to 2 different reps as well as a supervisor, but no one seemed to know the cause. I asked if it could be because they gave me the points early due to product conversion because my statement has not closed yet (should close in 2 days), but they said it was unlikely. Another possibility is that I've been transferring points from another family member's linked Freedom account to mine for the past few months. I tried un-linking this and then attempted a transfer from my Freedom to my Reserve, but it was still a no go. Then, I re-linked it (family member's account to mine) and it worked. I'm guessing the website automatically blocks transfers from more than one Freedom product (including linked accounts) to the Preferred/Reserve. Any thoughts ?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by steve4
I tried to transfer some points to my Reserve account, but got an "unexpected error." [...] Another possibility is that I've been transferring points from another family member's linked Freedom account to mine for the past few months. I tried un-linking this and then attempted a transfer from my Freedom to my Reserve, but it was still a no go.
From post 101:
Originally Posted by beltway
In my limited experience, it's possible to transfer UR to another user (my spouse) exactly one time after linking to that other user's account. Thereafter, I get the expected "unexpected error." So now I unlink after each transfer and then wait 24 hours before trying to link my UR account to another user's.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
From post 101:
And yet in my experience it's possible to transfer points from each of my accounts to my spouse's account every month with no de/re-linking. I did go through a period of errors, in (estimate) 2015, but it's been smooth thereafter.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia
And yet in my experience it's possible to transfer points from each of my accounts to my spouse's account every month with no de/re-linking. I did go through a period of errors, in (estimate) 2015, but it's been smooth thereafter.
Yes, same here. I didn't need to de/re-link to transfer points from the family member's Freedom 5% card to my CSR account every month. I only get this unexpected error after trying to transfer points from my newly converted Freedom to my Reserve account. Prior to this there was no problem transferring points from my Freedom Unlimited to CSR which makes me believe this error is due to not allowing multiple Freedom 5% card account transfers to the same Sapphire Reserve. I will wait until my Freedom statement closes in a few days and see if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, same here. I didn't need to de/re-link to transfer points from the family member's Freedom 5% card to my CSR account every month.
Then Chase hates me extra, because I was still having this problem as of September(ish) 2016, the last time I did a transfer. Glad to hear the situation has improved for some people.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:34 pm

I know how to link and un-link household member accounts, but is there a way to un-link your own Chase card from your Ultimate Rewards account and then re-link after 24 hours ? I'm thinking that if I still get this unexpected error issue after my Freedom account closes, I'll just consolidate its credit limit with my CSR and close the account altogether since the other family member's Freedom and Freedom Unlimited Cards are already linked to my account and multiple point transfers have worked in the past.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:05 pm

Update: Still cannot transfer points from my Freedom to CSR, called and converted it back to Freedom Unlimited and will use family member's Freedom card for future transfers as I did in the past.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Update: Still cannot transfer points from my Freedom to CSR, called and converted it back to Freedom Unlimited and will use family member's Freedom card for future transfers as I did in the past.
Could you do the point combining over the phone with a rep?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:49 pm

Could you do the point combining over the phone with a rep?
Nope, tried a bunch of times with different reps as well as a supervisor.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:44 am

Final update: Card was converted back to Freedom Unlimited and the transfer to CSR was successful. Looks like the system didn't allow conversion when it was a regular Freedom account for unknown reasons.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
i cant for the life of me transfer from my ink to my freedom unlimited (downgraded to from CSP) or my CSR. Ive unlinked multiple times and had 0 success and always get the unexpected error
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:10 am

In my UR portal, it allows me to add a household member (we live in the same house) to my account. Does this mean, once added, i can transfer the points to them without the risk of being shutdown?

I don't have a business card and is a private client banker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.