Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
According to the experts at FlyerTalk, Chase became one of the world’s biggest banks by disliking cash and disliking checks.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
The gospel has long been, if you want to preserve your credit card relationships with Chase, don't have deposit accounts with Chase.

Can you explain why in a way I can understand? Chase is opening branches here and making all kinds of enticing offers to open an account.
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Charles4515
Can you explain why in a way I can understand? Chase is opening branches here and making all kinds of enticing offers to open an account.
Their point, such that it is, boils down to "Having a Chase checking account raises one’s risk of a CC shutdown, just like people who take baths have a higher risk of drowning than people who don’t take baths." It's silly, but there’s no talking them out of it.

Last edited by joe_miami; Jun 24, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase seems to be a little itchy to shut down deposit accounts - they may give them more scrutiny than credit card accounts. When a customer gets a deposit account shutdown, the customer's credit cards often go with it.

Overall, Chase has many unique credit cards, but, as far as I know, no unique deposit accounts. So, to play it safe, I avoid them for that which I can get elsewhere (checking account) and I use them for that which I can only get with them (Hyatt credit card).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by josephstern
The gospel has long been, if you want to preserve your credit card relationships with Chase, don't have deposit accounts with Chase.

We'll never know the specific reason here, but this recent experience suggests this thinking has merit.
Doesn't having a deposit account help with getting approved Just For You offers that bypass 5/24? I was only able to get some new Chase cards recently after switching back to them as my main checking account.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Doesn't having a deposit account help with getting approved Just For You offers that bypass 5/24? I was only able to get some new Chase cards recently after switching back to them as my main checking account.
Not necessarily, I recently got a few Just For You offers that bypass 5/24 and have no deposit accounts.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Where do you find such offers?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by UA Fan
They are obviously targeted.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA Fan
In your Chase.com account, click on the menu and there should be an "Offers" link. (I've been a Chase customer for years and have never seen a "Just for You" CC offer. They're always for bank accounts or car loans.)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by brc01
Not necessarily, I recently got a few Just For You offers that bypass 5/24 and have no deposit accounts.
What exactly is recent?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:19 pm
Suspended

A huge batch were issued just last week or the week before.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:20 pm

Yep, about a week and a half ago was when I noticed.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:05 am
RNE

Obviously, Chase wants worthy customers to have banking accounts as well as credit card accounts with it. In such case, there's a chance (admittedly slight) that some aberration in the bank accounts could trigger a credit card shutdown. Some (like me, for instance) feel that slight risk is nevertheless too great. Too much of my wretched life revolves around UR points. Thus, I avoid Chase bank accounts like the plague. However, others find the risk tolerable and go merrily on to Chase banking.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:22 pm

curious, anyone get shut down for adding an AU and transferring to AU's transfer account(like UA)?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by BuBu4
curious, anyone get shut down for adding an AU and transferring to AU's transfer account(like UA)?
Doing so could certainly draw attention to your account as that is the exact process of selling UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.