Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Skar4000
Also, why has nobody filed a class-action lawsuit about the lost UR?
For a while now, Chase has given 30 days for people to transfer their UR points out upon account closure. That is probably a reason why there are no lawsuits.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Skar4000
My data points:

-Had a checking and 4 Chase credit cards closed in Nov 2013. My fault, did tons of MS with it. But due to a glitch in their IT system (I think), I managed to transfer out the UR points

-Re-applied for the Ink in ~June 2015, after about a year and a half of being banned from them. I got the 60K points and managed to transfer them to UA before being shut down again

-Applied for two personal cards recently and was declined because of an "unsatisfactory relationship".

Any idea why my Ink was approved recently but the two personal cards werent?

Also, why has nobody filed a class-action lawsuit about the lost UR?
This seems to happen sometimes. After being shut down and blacklisted by Chase, I waited 14 or so months and was approved for a Ritz-Carlton CC and earned the 140K bonus. Another MSer I know who had been shut down had this happen too. My two subsequent Chase applications, however, were declined because of a "previous unsatisfactory" business relationship with Chase. My Ritz card remains open, though (I've done no MSing or other activity that would prompt Chase to close it).

Any other data points out there? Would love to get back in and stay in.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:54 am

Of note, although the RCR card is a Chase product I believe it's managed by a different department, so that could have something to do with it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:15 am

Boohoohoo, got axed over the week w/o any notifications or explanation. I'll share my data points so others may learn/benefit:
7 Chase products, none are newly applied in the past 24 months.
  • Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name? NO
  • Did you sell UR points to someone? NO
  • Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months? 15-20
  • Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards? NO
  • Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards? NO
  • Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks? On par if not less than Amex
  • Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) NO
  • If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any? None with MO. Deposited around $5k in cash the past 2 months.
  • Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months? NO
  • Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit? NO
  • Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? 65-70%
  • How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? NONE
  • Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? Checking & Savings

I suspect the cause to be $2k-$3k in MS monthly at office supply stores and/or the $5k cash deposits. To be honest, I won't miss Chase if the out of the blue cancellations w/o explanation is their MO. The only setback I foresee is the cancellation of UA Explorer card as I benefit from that (UA is my main carrier). My checking account is still in tact but I will be closing that soon to cut my relationship with Chase.

As a note, my 100k in UR was still in the account when I discover the cancellation but I was unable to transfer to travel partners. Had to resort to cashback instead

Sayonara, Chase.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Sorry to hear that. I seems like they would've closed your checking account if the cash deposits were an issue and 2k-3k monthly MS doesn't sound like a lot. Have you talked to anyone at Chase since the closures? Any recent negative changes to your credit score?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by barschools
Sorry to hear that. I seems like they would've closed your checking account if the cash deposits were an issue and 2k-3k monthly MS doesn't sound like a lot. Have you talked to anyone at Chase since the closures? Any recent negative changes to your credit score?
Chase CS (Supervisor) were all mums as to the reason why they closed my accounts; only refer to writing the EO in IL. Just happened a few days ago so I don't expect adverse effect to credit score (checked FICO yesterday and still the same)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Originally Posted by speedy_j
Chase CS (Supervisor) were all mums as to the reason why they closed my accounts; only refer to writing the EO in IL. Just happened a few days ago so I don't expect adverse effect to credit score (checked FICO yesterday and still the same)
I was wondering if a recent drop in credit score might have triggered the closures but that obviously wasn't the case. I assume you had business card(s) if you were MSing at OS stores. Maybe they looked into your business and saw something they didn't like. Is it legit? Don't mean to pry, just trying to help figure this out.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by barschools
I was wondering if a recent drop in credit score might have triggered the closures but that obviously wasn't the case. I assume you had business card(s) if you were MSing at OS stores. Maybe they looked into your business and saw something they didn't like. Is it legit? Don't mean to pry, just trying to help figure this out.

Don't try to figure it out, it won't help. I had a similar situation to yours in April. I even talked to the EO and they were brick walls - I even had them review my closure and they stuck with the decision. I may have done even less than you as far as MS/bonus spend goes. Move on. I don't really enjoy dealing with a bank that makes you feel like your walking on eggshells.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by speedy_j
Boohoohoo, got axed over the week w/o any notifications or explanation. I'll share my data points so others may learn/benefit:
7 Chase products, none are newly applied in the past 24 months.
  • Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name? NO
  • Did you sell UR points to someone? NO
  • Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months? 15-20
  • Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards? NO
  • Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards? NO
  • Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks? On par if not less than Amex
  • Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) NO
  • If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any? None with MO. Deposited around $5k in cash the past 2 months.
  • Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months? NO
  • Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit? NO
  • Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? 65-70%
  • How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? NONE
  • Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? Checking & Savings

I suspect the cause to be $2k-$3k in MS monthly at office supply stores and/or the $5k cash deposits. To be honest, I won't miss Chase if the out of the blue cancellations w/o explanation is their MO. The only setback I foresee is the cancellation of UA Explorer card as I benefit from that (UA is my main carrier). My checking account is still in tact but I will be closing that soon to cut my relationship with Chase.

As a note, my 100k in UR was still in the account when I discover the cancellation but I was unable to transfer to travel partners. Had to resort to cashback instead

Sayonara, Chase.
So low MS? Was the $5,000 in deposits the total amount, or was it $10,000 over 2 months? I do about the same amount of MS, so I'm troubled...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:39 pm

i also got axed

All of my Chase cards were closed last week. Three business and five personal cards. Can't say I didn't deserve it. About 7k per month in Staples gift cards between two inks. That was virtually all of my Chase spending. They let me cash in my remaining UR points. They also refunded annual fees- sort of seems like they are saying they are done with me.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by joejoe2
All of my Chase cards were closed last week. Three business and five personal cards. Can't say I didn't deserve it. About 7k per month in Staples gift cards between two inks. That was virtually all of my Chase spending. They let me cash in my remaining UR points. They also refunded annual fees- sort of seems like they are saying they are done with me.
Over how many months was your Staples spend, and how/what did you make the payments with?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Over how many months was your Staples spend, and how/what did you make the payments with?
My Staples spend has been going on for years, almost all in VGC

I made all payments with WM bill pay.

I prefer to do my real spending on 2% cards like the Spark or Arrival

Last edited by joejoe2; Sep 1, 2015 at 7:02 am Reason: Grammet
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by joejoe2
Did you have a Chase checking account?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Slickw
Did you have a Chase checking account?
No
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
Not mentioned in OP: was banned 14 months ago, how long does one typically wait before trying again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.