FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:15 am
speedy_j

Boohoohoo, got axed over the week w/o any notifications or explanation. I'll share my data points so others may learn/benefit:
7 Chase products, none are newly applied in the past 24 months.
  • Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name? NO
  • Did you sell UR points to someone? NO
  • Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months? 15-20
  • Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards? NO
  • Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards? NO
  • Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks? On par if not less than Amex
  • Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) NO
  • If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any? None with MO. Deposited around $5k in cash the past 2 months.
  • Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months? NO
  • Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit? NO
  • Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? 65-70%
  • How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? NONE
  • Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? Checking & Savings

I suspect the cause to be $2k-$3k in MS monthly at office supply stores and/or the $5k cash deposits. To be honest, I won't miss Chase if the out of the blue cancellations w/o explanation is their MO. The only setback I foresee is the cancellation of UA Explorer card as I benefit from that (UA is my main carrier). My checking account is still in tact but I will be closing that soon to cut my relationship with Chase.

As a note, my 100k in UR was still in the account when I discover the cancellation but I was unable to transfer to travel partners. Had to resort to cashback instead

Sayonara, Chase.