Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:13 pm

here is why I think chase punished you

your credit( credit report) is almost brand new,
You opened four chase card in just 6 months and the card activities are abnormal large MSs. you didn't have regular purchases.

stay away from greedy card card bloggers people!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:18 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by f0xx
Check your TU and EX for soft pulls.
Sounds to me like they were watching you then pulled the plug.

You'll find the dates of when they were checking up on you.

You'll be looking for something like this.
but what specific info in those soft pulls on TU or EX would cause them to close all of OPs accounts?!

he said he had no debts, never carried a balance so he wasnt necessarily irresponsible with his credit usage -- not sure about credit utl/ratio.

he didnt do much MS atleast not a continued pattern, apart from after initially getting approved for a new card. does Chase have a limit of how many personal card one can have at the same time like AMEX does?

I dont see what other risk factors could have played into an abrupt closure. sucks for OP tho.

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven

You opened four chase card in just 6 months and the card activities are abnormal large MSs. you didn't have regular purchases.
minimal MS withstanding, even if OP got 4 new Chase cards in 6mo, how is that his fault? Chase obv saw something worhty in his CR to approve him. not sure if it was instant approval or if he had to lobby recon and how hard. but thats like reverse double jeorpardy, cant punish the OP for having too many new accounts after approving him for those said accounts initially.

and he said he basically did regular spend after getting the sign up bonus so not sure where you're getting "didn't have regular purchases..." from.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by f0xx
Check your TU and EX for soft pulls.
Sounds to me like they were watching you then pulled the plug.

You'll find the dates of when they were checking up on you.

You'll be looking for something like this.
To edh101985: Did you check your credit report and see thing like this?
Have you opened any credit cards since you opened Chase cards?
Your credit history is 1 year 7 months. How many credit cards do you have?

Last edited by happy9zz; Jun 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:45 pm

I have 8 cards total. The last card I opened was by British Airways card, and this was a few weeks ago. What is the best website to use to see that for free besides annualcreditreport.com? I cant access it. I already looked at it sometime earlier this year and I cant see it again. One BOA card, 2 AMEX, and 1 citi card.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:32 pm

Chances are your spending habits (MS to meet requirements then very little) and short income history made you an easy target for removal as unprofitable consumer.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven

stay away from greedy card card bloggers people!
The amount of Chase cards opened in such little time might have thrown a huge red flag. A user on another forum opened 5 and his was closed down. He had to contact the EO to reinstate his cards.

Originally Posted by FTRox87
but what specific info in those soft pulls on TU or EX would cause them to close all of OPs accounts?!

he said he had no debts, never carried a balance so he wasnt necessarily irresponsible with his credit usage -- not sure about credit utl/ratio.

he didnt do much MS atleast not a continued pattern, apart from after initially getting approved for a new card. does Chase have a limit of how many personal card one can have at the same time like AMEX does?

I dont see what other risk factors could have played into an abrupt closure. sucks for OP tho.
Those SPECIFIC SP's mean that Chase Card Services (Similar to AMEX FR dept.) pulled his information for an Account Review. An analyst obviously didn't like what he/she saw and yanked his whole profile from under him.

You don't have to have debts or carry a balance. People seem to forget that card companies can do what they want, when they want.

I wouldn't be surprised if OP doesn't have multiple on his CR.

minimal MS withstanding, even if OP got 4 new Chase cards in 6mo, how is that his fault? Chase obv saw something worhty in his CR to approve him. not sure if it was instant approval or if he had to lobby recon and how hard. but thats like reverse double jeorpardy, cant punish the OP for having too many new accounts after approving him for those said accounts initially.

and he said he basically did regular spend after getting the sign up bonus so not sure where you're getting "didn't have regular purchases..." from.
Just because one department is alright with you having cards, doesn't mean their risk department will think the same thing. Like I said, it isn't a cut and dry operation.

Someone obviously flagged his account for adverse action because of something they saw.

Originally Posted by edh101985
I have 8 cards total. The last card I opened was by British Airways card, and this was a few weeks ago. What is the best website to use to see that for free besides annualcreditreport.com? I cant access it. I already looked at it sometime earlier this year and I cant see it again. One BOA card, 2 AMEX, and 1 citi card.
There is "backdoors".

Originally Posted by hamhead
Chances are your spending habits (MS to meet requirements then very little) and short income history made you an easy target for removal as unprofitable consumer.
This.

Someone got spooked over at Chase.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:29 pm

If you guys want to see an example,

Well I just found out this morning that most of my Chase CCs were closed after a periodical review.
After some reading online, it seems that 4 Chase apps within a 12 month period seems to be the main cause. Several people on other forums had the same issue after putting in 4 chase apps within a year.
This is coming from a user that has a Chase Private banker.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...t/true#M819740
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
thats crazy and Chase seems to be kinda disorganized if that is the case. why approve 5 cards in the span of 8 months then if they are only comfortable with 4 apps in 12 months?

not to mention OP closed one of his card so he only has 4 active cards.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list
did you happen to get one of those letters asking you to confirm your SS#? I threw mine away and 2 month later they closed my accounts. called, sent them signed letter in and week later they re-activated accounts
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:59 am

I've been approved for 5 in the last 12 months. Never had a problem. Obviously they aren't going to crack down on everyone though.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I've been approved for 5 in the last 12 months. Never had a problem. Obviously they aren't going to crack down on everyone though.
If they don't like what they see.... They will.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:59 pm

yeah Chase is all over the place... this guy says he got 6 personal, 2 biz Chase cards. he's also AU on 2 of his wife's Chase cards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22965762-post492.html
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:15 pm

yeah Chase is all over the place... this guy says he got 6 personal, 2 biz Chase cards. he's also AU on 2 of his wife's Chase cards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22965762-post492.html
Depends on how long that established relationship was too.
In the terms of enharu, it was quite strange. They closed EVERYTHING out on him IIRC except for his Business cards.

It wasn't the first time I've read about Chase doing this.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by hamhead
Hardly. They just opened the accounts in anticipation of further revenue. They don't approve a lot of accounts just to close them suddenly.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:27 pm

Got the letter...

To many accounts
Not enough credit information on file
To many request for credit or/reviews of credit

How long till I can apply for one again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.