Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom: $150 (15K UR) + $25 (2.5K UR) for AU after $500 spend in 3 mo.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
As of Oct 2019, offer is as follows:

• $200 (20K UR points) for $500 spend in first 3 months.
  • No annual fees.
  • This is the best available offer since the past few years.
  • Public Application Link

What can I do with Chase Freedom Ultimate Rewards (UR) points?

• Transfer them to a Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Chase Ink Business UR points at 1:1. If you own one of those cards, this is probably the best option for you.
  • Redeem for cash back (statement credit or to a checking account), 1 cent per UR point. So, the 20K UR points for signing up will get you $200 cash back. This is generally the default option if you do not own a Sapphire or Ink card.
  • Redeem them for various gift cards, or shop with points at Amazon.com (usually same value as cash back, eg. $25 for 2500 UR).
  • Book flights/hotels/car rental/activities through Ultimate Rewards, and pay in full or in part using points (1 cent per UR).

More info here: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/09/maxi...hase-trifecta/

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom: $150 (15K UR) + $25 (2.5K UR) for AU after $500 spend in 3 mo.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:37 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
yeah I dont get the over excitement about EMV on the Freedom either. seems kinda silly, and the last thing I'd be excited about. cause for the ppl here, I assume they all play our fav CC game -- and so should already have a far superior free FTF product WiTH EMV already that they can use abroad.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by FTRox87
yeah I dont get the over excitement about EMV on the Freedom either. seems kinda silly, and the last thing I'd be excited about. cause for the ppl here, I assume they all play our fav CC game -- and so should already have a far superior free FTF product WiTH EMV already that they can use abroad.
To me, the biggest reason to clamor for EMV in the USA is that the more Americans pushing their banks/CUs for EMV credit cards, the more cards will be released in EMV. Amex, BoA, and Citi have gone almost completely EMV. If those 3 went from 95% to 100% and Chase moved to 100%, we'd have the largest issuers in the US as all-EMV. This is an important step.
That may be the impetus getting other issuers to finally go to all-EMV.

With an impending liability shift, if most cards are EMV, merchants would have a harder time justifying not upgrading to an EMV-capable terminal OR turning on EMV if they have one already.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
and what exactly would be the point of that? ... there is no 'push' or impetus needed for EMV, the conversion will happen by Oct 2015 lest the offenders want liability hassles. merchants will upgrade, theres no pre-req for 'if cards are EMV, only then merchants will switch' ... btw mag strip cards will work and be accepted well into the near future as well (on those very same, new terminals) for various reasons. so once again 'if cards are EMV...' serves no purpose.

its not as if thy are straddlers or its an optional choice. plus EMV cards that dont have free FTF basically serve no purpose. cant use em in the US at very many places and it'd be silly to use em abroad unless it was the last resort.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
and what exactly would be the point of that? ... there is no 'push' or impetus needed for EMV, the conversion will happen by Oct 2015 lest the offenders want liability hassles. merchants will upgrade, theres no pre-req for 'if cards are EMV, only then merchants will switch' ... btw mag strip cards will work and be accepted well into the near future as well (on those very same, new terminals) for various reasons. so once again 'if cards are EMV...' serves no purpose.

its not as if thy are straddlers or its an optional choice. plus EMV cards that dont have free FTF basically serve no purpose. cant use em in the US at very many places and it'd be silly to use em abroad unless it was the last resort.
Keep in mind that there are a lot of non-US cards that have FTF as well, yet they all are EMV enabled.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You seem woefully unaware of the reality. Many places won't be ready by October 15. And EMV is needed NOW, not by October 2015. EMV prevents (to an almost complete degree) card skimming. That's not something we can afford to wait for, regardless of travel. In addition, as more cards become EMV, more non-FTF cards become EMV.

In addition, the quicker we get to Chip&Signature in the USA, the quicker (hopefully) the banks realize how much preferable PIN is to signature, and we get real Chip&PIN cards in the USA.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by beltway
It's better than that, even. The MC & Visa are considered separate products for churning purposes. While Chase normally won't let you hold both simultaneously, you need not wait two years between them. The poster above is conflating two different rules (for churning a single product vs. applying for MC & Visa versions of a card).
Even better, it would allow you to have two Freedom cards, effectively doubling the $1,500/quarter cap on 5x categories.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
Even better, it would allow you to have two Freedom cards, effectively doubling the $1,500/quarter cap on 5x categories.
Hmm I don't think this would work. OP said that chase mailed him saying they will soon turn his MC into a VISA. In which case it is best to cancel it now so he can pick up the signup bonus again. If they ship him the new version then he won't be able to apply. Unless you are saying that he should keep it open, apply now before he is shipped the visa version, and then have 2 feedom visas?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by llbad
Unless you are saying that he should keep it open, apply now before he is shipped the visa version, and then have 2 feedom visas?
That's what I'm saying.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Keep in mind that there are a lot of non-US cards that have FTF as well, yet they all are EMV enabled.
that isnt an issue if those non-US cards have native EMV.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Many places won't be ready by October 15. And EMV is needed NOW, not by October 2015.

In addition, the quicker we get to Chip&Signature in the USA, the quicker (hopefully) the banks realize how much preferable PIN is to signature, and we get real Chip&PIN cards in the USA.
so if most places wont be ready by Oct '15, whats the point of having an EMV card right now... you're talking in circles and arguing a point that is only theoretically valid but not useful or practical.... and no EMV is not needed now because you cant even use it in many places around the US.

all my cards that have no-FTF are already EMV... and sure Chip&PIN will be great when it comes, but theres no rush or need in the interim. esp for the Freedom of all cards
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
When did the offer go down?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
When did the offer go down?
IIRC, this is technically an increase.

As I recall, the latest public 20K offer expired on 6/30, after which the offer dropped to 10K. In the last few days, this new 17.5K offer showed up.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Huh?

so if most places wont be ready by Oct '15, whats the point of having an EMV card right now... you're talking in circles and arguing a point that is only theoretically valid but not useful or practical.... and no EMV is not needed now because you cant even use it in many places around the US.

all my cards that have no-FTF are already EMV... and sure Chip&PIN will be great when it comes, but theres no rush or need in the interim. esp for the Freedom of all cards
What's the harm in having it on there if it's not going to be used in the US right now?

BTW, I have run into a few non-Walmart places already that required the card to be inserted.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
I have both VS and MC and Chase sent a letter informing me that MC will now convert to VS. Interesting to see what happens now that I have 2 Visa.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Man, I really missed out. The 20,000 offer came around a few weeks after I got my freedom card and now this. I only got 10,000 signup bonus... oh well.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh?

I can answer you again, saying the exact same thing, and hopefully you will understand this time, as I already clearly explained this.

As of now, we're not going to be EMV by October 15. What will help push us to being EMV by then is by a large number of customers showing a clear interest in EMV. That will help speed the banks up. Which is important because:
  1. EMV improves card security
  2. A push to EMV means more non-FTF cards will also become EMV, allowing us to use our favorite non-FTF cards abroad, and not be forced to only use what has EMV
  3. The sooner we adopt EMV, the sooner people become used to the idea of "chip" instead of "magnetic stripe." That helps speed up the process (should it come, like in the UK and Australia,) of moving from Chip&Signature to Chip&PIN which prevents fraudulent card lost/stolen use.
  4. For use in America, there are already stores that have deployed EMV. If I concentrate shopping there, already I can reduce the likelihood of card fraud with an EMV card

There's no circular point. There's I want the banks to only offer EMV cards and places with EMV terminals (a high percentage where I shop) to turn on EMV now. Especially if they start doing this now instead of waiting until October 15, they can work out bugs like Walmart has done.

I'm happy for you. Not all my non-FTF cards have a chip. There's definitely a need to rush as it's ridiculous how far behind the USA is from the rest of the modern world (except Israel who's possibly worse off now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.