Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
When you wrote "ONLY", did you mean you only keep a single credit card account open at a time?

That's dangerous for your FICO score......
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
When you wrote "ONLY", did you mean you only keep a single credit card account open at a time?

Exactly. I think I have 10 or 11 active cards right now. Many have a lot more. Miles & points are calling your name, flygirl12. Maybe she doesn't travel too much and wants the cash-back options.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by philemer
Maybe she doesn't travel too much and wants the cash-back options.
Either way........

Maybe she didn't mean it that way.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cannot imagine how one can have a SINGLE CC only. Even if one does not care for miles / points, and only for cash rebates, what happen the card is lost, stolen, especially when you are away from home, dont have enough cash with you... you can be stranded...

You need a back up card at a minimum.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:38 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
Cannot imagine how one can have a SINGLE CC only. Even if one does not care for miles / points, and only for cash rebates, what happen the card is lost, stolen, especially when you are away from home, dont have enough cash with you... you can be stranded...

You need a back up card at a minimum.
wow... I couldn't either. Maybe if you aren't a points addict like 99.99% of us on here. I need to have 10-15 at a minimum
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:35 pm

Okay, I'm not at the 10-15 cards stage (yet...), but I think you need at least 2 cards that are either Visa or Mastercard. Currently, I carry an Amex and a Visa (for where the Amex isn't taken), and then I have one more Visa that I leave at home, just as a backup.

If you don't have an Amex, I can see how you could get away with just two (though there are still the occasional "the machine can't read your card" issues). But I'll add to the chorus here that you do need a backup that you leave at home.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by thomaslw
what makes it powerful is when you couple it with a chase freedom (or even better, add a chase checking to get the trifecta) - the 5% rot and 10 pts per swipe can earn you a mess of UR points, which you can transfer to your csp UR account.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but is there a thread that explains the option to have freedome card and transfer to CSP? i am interested in racking up UR poitns to transfer to airlines ( IE UA)

Last edited by mia; Dec 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
...explains the option to have freedome card and transfer to CSP?
Chase issues two classes of cards which participate in Ultimate rewards.

Standard cards with no annual fee: Freedom, Sapphire and Ink Classic

Premium cards with an annual fee: Sapphire Preferred, JP Morgan Select, JP Morgan Palladium, Ink Plus, Ink Bold

Only the premium cards permit transfers to airlines, hotels or Amtrak programs. However, points from the standard cards can be "combined" with a premium card. Go to ultimaterewards.com, login, and if you have multiple card accounts linked to the same User ID you will see an option to "Combine Points". Otherwise, click: Manage Ultimate Rewards > Combine Points.

Note that the system will permit you to combine with any Ultimate Rewards account, but if you combine with an account in the name of anyone other than yourself or a spouse/domestic partner you risk having the account closed. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-accounts.html
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

One card managed well is better for a FICO score than several overdue cards managed badly.

First of all, I don't know the OP, but some people only need to keep open one card. I have a cousin that really should take that advice!

If a person has a history of credit card debt, credit councilors often recommend cutting up the cards. Keeping one card open to make purchases that don't work as well on a debit card or cash is an option in those cases.

Or I also know people who don't like buying things on credit, even if they pay the balance every month. Finally, I think that when people are just establishing credit keeping one card is good as well. Maybe it could help them get used to paying the balance in full every month.

What I am saying is that there may be circumstances that makes it a wise choice for the OP to only keep one card.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 am

If you are spending $10K a year, check out the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. There is $75 Annual Fee, but that is quickly recouped thanks to the ability to effectively get 6% (5% after load fees) on up to $6K a year at grocery stores, so that's $285 net on $6K spend, or an effective 4.75% cb after deducting the $75 fee.

Remember, you can buy gift cards (Visa/MC or Amex) at grocery stores (where Blue Preferred has 6% cb up to $6K a year). Load fees on the gcs are ~1%, so net cb is 5%. You then use those gcs on all your other spend (gas stations, dept stores, restaurants, online etc etc). For someone with $10K spend a year, this seems like a winner.

Blue Preferred also gives 3% cb at gas stations (but only use that if/when your 6% gc limit is reached) and 1% elsewhere.

Before I head to Costco, I make sure to load up on a few Amex GCs from Safeway (or to OD with my Ink) to earn 5% (or 5x) rather than the 2% I get with my Costco Amex.

You have the option of downgrading to the Blue Cash Everyday that has no AF and lower bonus amounts (3% cb at grocery for example). So once you meet your $6K limit ($1500 per quarter) you can downgrade and even get prorated AF rebate.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:09 pm

Depends on how much your spend annually. If the value of the points are greater than the annual fee, keep it. Else, there are many awesome cards out there with no annual fee. For instance, you could downgrade to the Chase Sapphire.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Hilton/Marriott Gold
I called today to downgrade my chase sapphire preferred card to a chase freedom. After completing the process, the agent told me he would send a return envelope for my composite metal card, and he said they were tracking all the cards and expect their return after cancelling or downgrading. Has anyone gotten this before and had to send them back? I really would like to keep it, I keep all my credit cards as souvenirs after they become inactive. I would be sad to see this one go as this is one of the better ones, if not the best after the amex centurion card which is kind of out of my league..
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SW, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, TYN
Originally Posted by cometcoins
I called today to downgrade my chase sapphire preferred card to a chase freedom. After completing the process, the agent told me he would send a return envelope for my composite metal card, and he said they were tracking all the cards and expect their return after cancelling or downgrading. Has anyone gotten this before and had to send them back? I really would like to keep it, I keep all my credit cards as souvenirs after they become inactive. I would be sad to see this one go as this is one of the better ones, if not the best after the amex centurion card which is kind of out of my league..
I needed to have my CSP card reissued. They insisted that I return the original, which I did in the return envelope they provided.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by donsug
I needed to have my CSP card reissued. They insisted that I return the original, which I did in the return envelope they provided.
Weird. I'm on my 3rd CSP card (other 2 were compromised by fraud charges, presumably from traveling to sketchy places), and they've never asked for me to return one.

I kind of regret that they didn't ask, because those cards were difficult to destroy.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by rocketfodder
Weird. I'm on my 3rd CSP card (other 2 were compromised by fraud charges, presumably from traveling to sketchy places), and they've never asked for me to return one.

I kind of regret that they didn't ask, because those cards were difficult to destroy.
when i downgraded a year ago they did not ask for it back. i had to use a drill press in the machine shop at my office to put holes in it - tough piece of metal that was..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.