Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now closed.
Please continue the discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-shut-downs-credit-card-account-closures-data-tales-speculation-2019-a.html

================================================== ================================================== ===============================

This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account: Official: No UR points to another person's airline or hotel account
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL: FB Gold, A3 *G, DL GM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silv, IHG Plat Ambassador

Seems due to Ultimate Rewards transfers from my family members has resulted in Chase canceling my Sapphire Preferred Card. All of my other cards remain open but I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do (if anything) and just a warning that apparently transferring points to another person's account could result in account termination.

The agent made it clear that they would NOT reconsider reopening the account, and that they stated in the T&Cs that I could only transfer to and from my spouse and no one else. Unclear whether my points will be forfeited, but I have transferred them out to Hyatt & United and hope they won't be confiscated.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:25 pm

Wow -- I did not even know that was part of the T&C. I thought it was totally permitted. Seems to me that this thread is an important one, since I presume I'm not the only one who didn't understand this. Admittedly, it's everyone's responsibility to know the terms, but when you go to transfer points, it certainly doesn't mention any restriction. Sure enough, though, the T&C do indeed seem to suggest it's not permitted:

• You may transfer Ultimate Rewards points to any other eligible credit card or debit card with Ultimate Rewards earning points, and rebates earned to a credit card earning in rebates. “Rewards” in this section means points or rebates, as applicable.
• To determine if you are earning in points or rebates, see the “Ultimate Rewards” section of your credit card statement.
Transfers may only be used to combine rewards belonging to the same individual or business in the Program; or for the purpose of enabling spouses or domestic partners to combine rewards earned in their respective names.
• If either the transferee’s or your credit card account(s) or checking account(s), as applicable, are in default at the time of the transfer, Chase will not make the transfer.
• Once rewards are transferred, they cannot be credited back.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lkar
Wow -- I did not even know that was part of the T&C. I thought it was totally permitted. Seems to me that this thread is an important one, since I presume I'm not the only one who didn't understand this. Admittedly, it's everyone's responsibility to know the terms, but when you go to transfer points, it certainly doesn't mention any restriction.
+1
I had no idea you couldn't do this. I was planning on doing UR transfers to my mom and sister this weekend.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My wife does not have my last name, and we are married have been for many years...We do live at the same address....
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Most reasonable people would include "wife" in the category of spouse or domestic partner, yes?

Originally Posted by satman40
My wife does not have my last name, and we are married have been for many years...We do live at the same address....
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by peachfront
Most reasonable people would include "wife" in the category of spouse or domestic partner, yes?
I think the post says more along the lines of, "how does Chase know who's a spouse and who just lives at my address?"
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by cswarthout
Seems due to Ultimate Rewards transfers from my family members has resulted in Chase canceling my Sapphire Preferred Card. All of my other cards remain open but I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do (if anything) and just a warning that apparently transferring points to another person's account could result in account termination.

The agent made it clear that they would NOT reconsider reopening the account, and that they stated in the T&Cs that I could only transfer to and from my spouse and no one else. Unclear whether my points will be forfeited, but I have transferred them out to Hyatt & United and hope they won't be confiscated.
My friend just had his SP shutdown by chase. Chase left other cards of his active. It seems like chase is opening the floodgate with SP users now. However, my friend was guilty as charged.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
I think the post says more along the lines of, "how does Chase know who's a spouse and who just lives at my address?"
OP indicated, ..."transfers from my family members..."

Apparently Chase will not entertain the Big Love defense.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PresskittJon
OP indicated, ..."transfers from my family members..."

Apparently Chase will not entertain the Big Love defense.
Post in question was not made by OP.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
The OP's comment was about UR to UR account. I have a question for UR to airline or hotel program.

Can one transfer UR points to someone else's airline or hotel account without facing the risk of shutdown?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I had no trouble in the past transferring points, but when I tried last week, I was told the policy was now being enforced.

But how could Chase shut down an account for things they had actually facilitated? You can't transfer points without calling Chase.

This is a bit like asking a cop if you can park in a certain space, he says yes, then he gives you a ticket for parking illegally.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
I had no trouble in the past transferring points, but when I tried last week, I was told the policy was now being enforced.

But how could Chase shut down an account for things they had actually facilitated? You can't transfer points without calling Chase.

This is a bit like asking a cop if you can park in a certain space, he says yes, then he gives you a ticket for parking illegally.
Transfers can easily be done online.

But those could still be checked internally for matching addresses by the system before allowing you to proceed.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by satz
The OP's comment was about UR to UR account. I have a question for UR to airline or hotel program.

Can one transfer UR points to someone else's airline or hotel account without facing the risk of shutdown?
My read of the T&C are that it is permitted, and I know people do it all the time, but you should read the terms yourself and make your own conclusion. Sounds like Chase is starting to get aggressive.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
My read of the T&C are that it is permitted, and I know people do it all the time, but you should read the terms yourself and make your own conclusion. Sounds like Chase is starting to get aggressive.
So are they getting aggressive with UR-->outside program (United, Hyatt, etc.) transfers or just UR-->UR?

Reading all these threads makes me think the latter.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by PresskittJon
So are they getting aggressive with UR-->outside program (United, Hyatt, etc.) transfers or just UR-->UR?

Reading all these threads makes me think the latter.
Dunno. OP is just talkng about the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.