Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by STS-134
Neither of the cards has 3x on dining. Both cards have 2x on dining, but only the Preferred has 2x on travel, no foreign transaction fees, a 7% points dividend, 1.25 cents per point when redeeming for travel on Ultimate Rewards, and ability to transfer points to partner travel programs like United MileagePlus.
One Friday a month in 2013 the CSP has 3x dining.

I also need to decide in early fall whether to downgrade CSP or Ink Bold. I think it makes more sense for me to downgrade Bold as my side businesses don't have revenue of $25,000 (Ink Classic 5x limit) so they can't have expenses over $25,000. I think other than lounge access the other benefits are redundant.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:59 pm

Replying to the OP Question: Keep.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
I got CSP last feb and I paid the annual fee this year. This April, I applied for mastercard version and got pending. I made a phone call and representative told me I can't have visa and mastercard. I downgrade CSP visa to freedom card and got mastercard approved.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, SW, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, TYN
Downgrade SP to either Sapphire or Freedom?

My Sapphire Preferred is up for AF. My spouse has a separate SP CC, and all my purchases have been on her card and go into her UR account.

It doesn't seem necessary for me continue to pay for the preferred card. I am considering applying for a regular Sapphire or Freedom card, both of which are no fee and accrue UR points.

The question I have is whether UR points earned on those 2 cards can eventually be transferred to my wife's UR account.

Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:34 pm

Any UR points earned with any of the Chase UR credit cards (Freedom, Ink, Sapphire, Sapphire preferred) can be transferred to your wife's SP UR account.

In my experience, my Sapphire Preferred could not be converted into a Freedom card, and could only downgrade to the regular Sapphire card.

Later after a few months, I was able to convert my Sapphire card into a Freedom Mastercard.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tomsam
I would suggest thinking a bit farther than just this annual fee. You mention you have an Ink Bold which is what you plan to use to transfer to UR partners. So it sounds like your plan is to downgrade the CSP and keep the Bold, even paying the $95 annual fee for the Bold if required? That is certainly one option.

I have the CSP, Ink Plus and Ink Bold today. My long-term plan plan is to keep the CSP as my card to transfer to UR partners, and downgrade Ink Plus/Bold to regular Ink (dropping the other if needed to get another Chase card). This gives me the 5x UR for telecomm, office supply stores, but I get to keep the broader travel bonus categories of the CSP and the 7% annual div.
I was actually considering downgrading the Ink Bold and applying for the Ink Plus a year later to keep the points active without paying a fee. Is this a bad idea?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whatmakes
I was actually considering downgrading the Ink Bold and applying for the Ink Plus a year later to keep the points active without paying a fee. Is this a bad idea?
Not a bad idea at all. Many people cycle through the CSP, Plus and Bold to be the vehicle to transfer UR points to partners, taking advantage of the first fee-free year.

But at some point you'll have to rationalize if you want to keep any of them over the long term happily paying the annual fee (and in that case which one, or more, to keep), or you're just in it for the sign-up bonus and will move to fee-free or cancel when the annual fee becomes due.

This really depends on each individual person and their spend habits, so the original question really needs to be answered by you. All this thread will provide is a sample of data points on what other people are doing but remember their situations are different.

I will keep the CSP paying the annual fee because the 2x UR points on my international restaurant spend will in itself almost cover the $95 annual fee with no foreign exchange fees.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by tomsam
Not a bad idea at all. Many people cycle through the CSP, Plus and Bold to be the vehicle to transfer UR points to partners, taking advantage of the first fee-free year.

But at some point you'll have to rationalize if you want to keep any of them over the long term happily paying the annual fee (and in that case which one, or more, to keep), or you're just in it for the sign-up bonus and will move to fee-free or cancel when the annual fee becomes due.

This really depends on each individual person and their spend habits, so the original question really needs to be answered by you. All this thread will provide is a sample of data points on what other people are doing but remember their situations are different.

I will keep the CSP paying the annual fee because the 2x UR points on my international restaurant spend will in itself almost cover the $95 annual fee with no foreign exchange fees.
See, normally I would put all of my spending on this card, but lately I haven't been putting a lot of spending on this card because of the other cards I have. For instance, I get 3x points on airfare with AmEx, and I get 2x points on hotels with the Ink Bold - which I still need to make my $5,000 limit to get 5,000 points.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:49 am

So for those of you on the edge of your seats, I think I've made my decision..

I am going to downgrade the card for now. I will avoid paying the fee and will lose the 2x on travel. I have other cards that give me extra points for travel so I can use those for now.

I can upgrade the card back at any time and pay the annual fee.

The only downside is I will lose out on that 7% rebate at the end of the year. By my estimates, I earned ~24,000 points so far, so 7% of that would be 1680. Not a huge chunk of points, but nothing to sneeze at either.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I've decided to downgrade my CSP and keep my Ink Bold (and Palladium). I chose to keep the Ink Bold over the CSP because the Ink Bold tends to get retention offers that net out the AF, while I haven't seen a single report of a CSP retention offer in several months.

Additionally, I get 2x on travel through Palladium anyway so the only thing I'm really missing by not having CSP is the 7% dividend, and I don't spend more than $33,928 per year in dining on my CSP to make the financials work.

If I don't get a retention offer on the Ink Bold, I'll probably cancel that as well though.

Originally Posted by highops
One Friday a month in 2013 the CSP has 3x dining.
The regular Sapphire gets 3x on First Friday dining as well.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:57 am

If you downgrade a CSP to CS, will any travel charges the post between your last statement and the day of the downgrade still get 2x? I'm wondering if they give you a final CSP statement on the day you downgrade, or just switch things over to CS and keep the same statement cycle.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by bribro
If you downgrade a CSP to CS, will any travel charges the post between your last statement and the day of the downgrade still get 2x? I'm wondering if they give you a final CSP statement on the day you downgrade, or just switch things over to CS and keep the same statement cycle.
That's a good point. Maybe I should wait until my next cycle ends before I downgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:04 pm

Here's another thought. If I downgrade my sapphire now, but upgrade it BACK before the end of the year, will I still get that 7% rebate on ALL points earned?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:29 pm

That's a good point. Maybe I should wait until my next cycle ends before I downgrade.
Just don't wait more than 60 days, since that's the cut off to get your AF reimbursed in full.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:30 pm

Here's another thought. If I downgrade my sapphire now, but upgrade it BACK before the end of the year, will I still get that 7% rebate on ALL points earned?
I would guess no, but don't know 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.