Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:36 pm

downgrade chase saphire prefered

1) if downgrade a chase saphire prefered to regular chase saphire, do i still get
perk from regular chase saphire?

2) if no credit line change, does downgrade need a hard pull?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you downgrade to a Sapphire, you only get 2x UR points on dining (not travel). These UR points cannot be transferred to partner programs, unless you have another premium UR-earning card. The Sapphire also lacks the EMV chip and has foreign transaction fees.

There are no hard pulls for product changes.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by jerryy
1) if downgrade a chase saphire prefered to regular chase saphire, do i still get
perk from regular chase saphire?

2) if no credit line change, does downgrade need a hard pull?
Originally Posted by augustus21
If you downgrade to a Sapphire, you only get 2x UR points on dining (not travel). These UR points cannot be transferred to partner programs, unless you have another premium UR-earning card. The Sapphire also lacks the EMV chip and has foreign transaction fees.

There are no hard pulls for product changes.
And no 7% dividend on the regular Sapphire as well.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I already have a Freedom Visa and a Sapphire Visa Sig. Can I downgrade my CSP and ask to have it converted to a Freedom MC? Has anyone had it done?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by agp423
I already have a Freedom Visa and a Sapphire Visa Sig. Can I downgrade my CSP and ask to have it converted to a Freedom MC? Has anyone had it done?
I have done exactly that, but that was a year ago and things may have changed with Chase moving almost exclusively to Visa.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:55 pm

I have a CSP I want to downgrade after the 7% dividend next month. I have the Ink Plus and Amex Gold so not worried about losing UR points or a lot of my travel expenses.

Would I be better off downgrading to CS or Freedom? I use ms a lot so I could max out a couple of the freedom categories but I also eat out a lot so the dining would be good for the CS.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I have one of those elusive CSP MC. I should be able to downgrade to a non-preferred and sign up for the CSP Visa right away (or later on) I presume?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by sound48
I have a CSP I want to downgrade after the 7% dividend next month. I have the Ink Plus and Amex Gold so not worried about losing UR points or a lot of my travel expenses.

Would I be better off downgrading to CS or Freedom? I use ms a lot so I could max out a couple of the freedom categories but I also eat out a lot so the dining would be good for the CS.
Totally depends on your spending patterns. Not knowing the full picture, I would downgrade to the CS and wait for a 20k-35k Freedom sign-up bonus and get it then.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
I have one of those elusive CSP MC. I should be able to downgrade to a non-preferred and sign up for the CSP Visa right away (or later on) I presume?
It has worked in the past for me and others, but YMMV.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
Totally depends on your spending patterns. Not knowing the full picture, I would downgrade to the CS and wait for a 20k-35k Freedom sign-up bonus and get it then.
I've gone through a lot of applications lately and have had to go through Chase reconsideration so am planning on taking it easy with them for awhile. I do a lot of ms, travel a lot for work so eat out a lot, max out Ink Plus 5x and 2x categories and Amex gold gas and grocery categories and have a Fidelity, Venture and Arrival for any other categories if I need cash back or to cover other travel expenses.

Don't have any no fee Chase cards, so was thinking CS or Freedom would be a downgrade to help with aaoa and have a Chase card I could keep forever.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:35 pm

If you spend more than $15,000/year on dining, go with the CS. As you probably know, the 5x Freedom categories are capped at $1,500 per quarter, so if you're maxing out Ink Plus 5x and 2x, $1,500 is probably peanuts to you.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
I would downgrade, as all Chase MC products will eventually be transitioned to Visa.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:31 pm

I am in the same boat with the CSP MC and wanting to get the 40k visa before the mc is automatically changed to a visa.

Does anyone know if we downgrade to the non preferred and it is a visa , not mc, will this hamper our chance of getting the bonus for the CSP visa? Or not because it is a different product? For me, downgrading is preferable to canceling because I have a lot of auto pays that post monthly on the card. But if there is a chance I won't get the sign up bonus I will cancel and switch them to another card.

Last edited by felicity5; Jan 21, 2014 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:37 pm

Does the 7% dividend include the 40k UR bonus?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by felicity5
I am in the same boat with the CSP MC and wanting to get the 40k visa before the mc is automatically changed to a visa.

Does anyone know if we downgrade to the non preferred and it is a visa , not mc, will this hamper our chance of getting the bonus for the CSP visa? Or not because it is a different product? For me, downgrading is preferable to canceling because I have a lot of auto pays that post monthly on the card. But if there is a chance I won't get the sign up bonus I will cancel and switch them to another card.
There is a chance you won't get the sign-up bonus again even if you do switch to another card. I've read of people doing just that and being able to get a second bonus, but YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.