Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by Jaxxx
Does the 7% dividend include the 40k UR bonus?
It's not supposed to, but it happens. I got the 7% dividend on my sign-up bonus last year. I'll find out in a couple of weeks if I got it again for my second CSP sign-up bonus.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by bribro
There is a chance you won't get the sign-up bonus again even if you do switch to another card. I've read of people doing just that and being able to get a second bonus, but YMMV.
Thanks for your reply.
I made a poor choice of words as I realize there is always a chance I won't get the bonus . I guess my actual question is whether downgrading to a chase Saphire visa would automatically disqualify me from getting the bonus on a chase Saphire preferred visa? As that would be having two chase sapphires at the same time which I believe the wiki said you can'd do.correct? If so, could I downgrade to the Freedom even if I already have one or should I just cancel to have a better shot at the bonus?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by felicity5
Thanks for your reply.
I made a poor choice of words as I realize there is always a chance I won't get the bonus . I guess my actual question is whether downgrading to a chase Saphire visa would automatically disqualify me from getting the bonus on a chase Saphire preferred visa? As that would be having two chase sapphires at the same time which I believe the wiki said you can'd do.correct? If so, could I downgrade to the Freedom even if I already have one or should I just cancel to have a better shot at the bonus?
It would not automatically disqualify you, since I've read of people getting a 2nd CSP bonus after PCing their first CSP to a CS. However, I've also read reports of people getting shot down for a 2nd bonus because they had an active CS, so PCing the CSP to a Freedom is probably the best practice. Additionally, if you do get approved for a 2nd CSP, your CS will be completely useless, whereas having a 2nd Freedom card effectively doubles your 5% cap.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:39 pm

It would not automatically disqualify you, since I've read of people getting a 2nd CSP bonus after PCing their first CSP to a CS. However, I've also read reports of people getting shot down for a 2nd bonus because they had an active CS, so PCing the CSP to a Freedom is probably the best practice. Additionally, if you do get approved for a 2nd CSP, your CS will be completely useless, whereas having a 2nd Freedom card effectively doubles your 5% cap.
Good point, thanks very much.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:43 am

CSP annual fee approaching, cancel? advice?

Hi all:

I am about to get my first annual fee charged for my Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa.

I'm looking for some advice on the right words to say when I call up to "cancel." I don't actually want to cancel. I just want them to offer the fee being waived again - or offer me more UR points that make up for having to pay the fee.

Some extra info: I have 2 other Chase cards. So if I did have to cancel, I wouldn't lose my UR points.

A few questions:
  1. What words should I use when I call so that they may offer to waive my annual fee again?
  2. If they make me an offer, what kind of offer should I accept (e.g., extra miles) to make it worth paying the annual fee?
  3. What if I choose to get the Chase Freedom card in place of the CSP? How good is CF in comparison to CSP?

Any thoughts or advice on this process are appreciated! And thanks in advance, you guys have helped me make a lot of decisions over the past year that have all been great advice!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:37 pm

I usually just ask to be transferred to the retention department right away. Then say something like "I'm considering closing the card, as I am dismayed by the recent devaluations in the UR travel partner programs. Do you have any offers to offset the annual fee? I already have 7 Chase cards with an annual fee."

PS: Your chances of getting a CSP retention offer are pretty much zero.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:46 pm

I usually just ask to be transferred to the retention department right away. Then say something like "I'm considering closing the card, as I am dismayed by the recent devaluations in the UR travel partner programs. Do you have any offers to offset the annual fee? I already have 7 Chase cards with an annual fee."

PS: Your chances of getting a CSP retention offer are pretty much zero.
Thanks, I'll try that. If they don't give me a retention offer, any advice on what to do? Is it worth it to keep it?

I'm thinking it might be better to cancel, have them transfer my credit to another Chase card, and then get the Chase Freedom the next time I churn...
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by tortoisemiler
Thanks, I'll try that. If they don't give me a retention offer, any advice on what to do? Is it worth it to keep it?
It depends on your situation. If you have another premium UR card (Ink Bold, Ink Plus, JPM Select, or JPM Palladium) that allows you to transfer URs to travel partners, you'd probably be best off downgrading your CSP to either a Freedom or non-Preferred Sapphire (unless you spend $70k+ on food/travel per year).

Originally Posted by tortoisemiler
I'm thinking it might be better to cancel, have them transfer my credit to another Chase card, and then get the Chase Freedom the next time I churn...
Not sure it's worth even using an HP for 10k UR. I'd rather downgrade that CSP to a Freedom and use the HP on a better sign-up bonus (e.g. Southwest 50k, United 50k, BA 50k).
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Avoid loosing Ultimate Reward (UR) Points

I am surprised this topic is not discussed in more detail on this thread.

I currently have a Chase Ink, Chase Preferred Sapphire (CSP) & Chase Freedom.

I move all my Freedom & Ink UR points to my CSP.

My $95 annual fee for my Ink is due, and I am thinking about canceling this card. Again, I have moved all of my Ink UR points to my CSP.

If I cancel my Ink card, are my UR points safe in my CSP UR account?

I found the following by Million Mile Secrets:
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/1...-miles-points/

From what I have read, as long as you transfer your UR points from the Chase credit card you are canceling to another active Chase credit card with an active UR account you should be fine, can you please confirm?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:16 pm

Yes, you can store your URs on any UR card. That includes the Freedom, you just can't transfer the URs out directly from that card so in your case I'd save a step and store them on your CSP.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Your chances of getting a CSP retention offer are pretty much zero.
...as I discovered today. No promotions or bonuses offered, and no way to waive $95 af. It was one of the briefest--and one of the most disappointing--conversations with a CC CSR I have ever had.

Considering the recent United deval, is there any compelling case why I should retain the card if my wallet is already fairly full?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
...as I discovered today. No promotions or bonuses offered, and no way to waive $95 af. It was one of the briefest--and one of the most disappointing--conversations with a CC CSR I have ever had.

Considering the recent United deval, is there any compelling case why I should retain the card if my wallet is already fairly full?
If you still like UA econ awards, Hyatt, BA for short hauls, and Southwest. I think (& most would agree) those are the only good transfer partners.

If you have ink bold/plus or any individual co-branded cards then maybe you won't need the CSP
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
If you still like UA econ awards, Hyatt, BA for short hauls, and Southwest. I think (& most would agree) those are the only good transfer partners.

If you have ink bold/plus or any individual co-branded cards then maybe you won't need the CSP
Or if your spending pattern does not justify it either. Cancelled mine and my wife's almost 2 years ago and don't regret it one bit. Plenty of other options.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
Or if your spending pattern does not justify it either. Cancelled mine and my wife's almost 2 years ago and don't regret it one bit. Plenty of other options.
Yep, that too. Always reason #1.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ThereYaGo

Thanks. CSP had been my catch-all (aka "none-of-the-above") CC for expenses where I wasn't getting any bonuses or promos. I recently got the BarclayCard Arrival, and CSP now seems redundant. (And I have an Ink Bold, too, to cover sudden needs to bulk up Ink's transfer partners.)

Looks like cancelling CSP and avoiding the af is a good option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.