Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by whatmakes
Here's another thought. If I downgrade my sapphire now, but upgrade it BACK before the end of the year, will I still get that 7% rebate on ALL points earned?
I think within terms it is NO, but Chase has been known to have glitches
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by bribro
If you downgrade a CSP to CS, will any travel charges the post between your last statement and the day of the downgrade still get 2x? I'm wondering if they give you a final CSP statement on the day you downgrade, or just switch things over to CS and keep the same statement cycle.
So here's how it apparently works (according to two EO CSRs). After you request to downgrade/PC a CSP, you continue using your existing card until you receive your new card. Any charges made using your CSP card in the interim period will be under the CSP reward structure. As soon as you receive the new card and activate it, the old CSP card is deactivated and the reward program switches over.

I was actually hoping the reward program switch was retroactive to the statement date since I am switching from a CSP to a Freedom and had a lot of restaurant purchases. Oh well.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, but I'll chime in anyways. I got the CSP in November 2011, and in December 2012 I downgraded to the standard Sapphire in order to avoid (refund) the annual fee. In April, I called to upgrade to the CSP again, and was willing to pay the annual fee, in order to be able to transfer some UR points. The customer service rep said I was eligible for the first year free, even though I've already had the card. I immediately jumped - so now I'm on my second year of the CSP free.

My apologies if this is already known.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, but I'll chime in anyways. I got the CSP in November 2011, and in December 2012 I downgraded to the standard Sapphire in order to avoid (refund) the annual fee. In April, I called to upgrade to the CSP again, and was willing to pay the annual fee, in order to be able to transfer some UR points. The customer service rep said I was eligible for the first year free, even though I've already had the card. I immediately jumped - so now I'm on my second year of the CSP free.

My apologies if this is already known.
That's awesome. Wonder how long the time frame is to get the first year free.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:19 am

That's awesome. Wonder how long the time frame is to get the first year free.
Yeah, it worked out very well. Like I said in my OP, I waited from ~December to ~April, so the safe bet would be to wait at least 90 days, though who knows what it actually is.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:57 am

Yeah, it worked out very well. Like I said in my OP, I waited from ~December to ~April, so the safe bet would be to wait at least 90 days, though who knows what it actually is.
I wonder if it was the length of time OR the fact that you cancelled it one year and renewed it the next. Hmmm..

Do you think you will downgrade it again when your "first" year free is up again?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:06 am

I wonder if it was the length of time OR the fact that you cancelled it one year and renewed it the next. Hmmm..

Do you think you will downgrade it again when your "first" year free is up again?
Oh, I didn't even think of the fact that it was 2012 when I downgraded and then upgraded in 2013. Easily could have been that...

I'll have to re-evaluate come December, but I'll probably go back down to the Sapphire, and then upgrade to the CSP, by either paying (or not!) if I need to transfer points.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:18 pm

Oh, I didn't even think of the fact that it was 2012 when I downgraded and then upgraded in 2013. Easily could have been that...

I'll have to re-evaluate come December, but I'll probably go back down to the Sapphire, and then upgrade to the CSP, by either paying (or not!) if I need to transfer points.
I like your idea of upgrading it to use the points. Smart!

Did you ever have the chase inks (the business cards)?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:46 pm

I like your idea of upgrading it to use the points. Smart!

Did you ever have the chase inks (the business cards)?
I applied for one of the Ink's a few months ago but was rejected after reconsideration due to a lot of recent credit pulls (which is fair - I have around 20 CC's, all within a year or two, at this point) and because I didn't really have much of a story behind what my business is. Maybe that's because it was non-existent.

Anyway, I reapplied yesterday using my recently-founded non-profit as the business. It's currently under consideration, and I'll give the recon line a call tomorrow when it opens to see if I can manage my way into some free points.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:30 pm

I applied for one of the Ink's a few months ago but was rejected after reconsideration due to a lot of recent credit pulls (which is fair - I have around 20 CC's, all within a year or two, at this point) and because I didn't really have much of a story behind what my business is. Maybe that's because it was non-existent.

Anyway, I reapplied yesterday using my recently-founded non-profit as the business. It's currently under consideration, and I'll give the recon line a call tomorrow when it opens to see if I can manage my way into some free points.
give us notice what happens, good luck!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:52 pm

I got the Visa switched to the MC last week, and the card came in the mail. I got a refund on the annual fee. Now, how long do you guys recommend waiting before I cancel the MC and then how long to wait until I can reapply for the Preferred Visa?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: Work in progress.
I sent them a SM to downgrade my card, and got offered a choice between the Chase Freedom MasterCard Platinum card and the Chase Freedom MasterCard World card.

What's the difference?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by jatink129
I sent them a SM to downgrade my card, and got offered a choice between the Chase Freedom MasterCard Platinum card and the Chase Freedom MasterCard World card.

What's the difference?
They are very similar. World is just one tier higher than the platinum. See here: http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card.html
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Just curious, why would anyone opt not to take a higher credit card tier? The only reason I can think of is to not stick merchants with higher fees.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
They are very similar. World is just one tier higher than the platinum. See here: http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card.html
Thank you.
The CSR replied to my SM as well. I'll post it here for anyone else who might have the same question.

Benefits of Chase Freedom MasterCard Platinum card:
--------------------------

Lost/Stolen card reporting: Yes
Emergency card and cash: Yes
Auto Rental Collusion Damage Waiver (secondary): Yes
MasterRental Insurance Coverage: Platinum
Travel Assistance Service: Yes
Extended Protection: Yes
Purchase Protection: $250/claim, $50,000 lifetime
(maximum)
Price Protection: Yes
Return Protection: $250/claim, maximum $1,000 per year
Master Road Assist Roadside: Yes
Mastercard Global Service: Yes
Travel Accident Insurance: Not Available
Lost Luggage: Not Available
Travel and Emergency Assistance Service: Not Available
Trip Cancellation: Not Available
Personal Identity Theft: Not Available
No Preset Spending Limit: Not Available

Benefits of Chase Freedom MasterCard Worldcard:
--------------------------

Lost/Stolen card reporting: Yes
Emergency card and cash: Yes
Auto Rental Collusion Damage Waiver (secondary): Not
Available
MasterRental Insurance Coverage: World
Travel Assistance Service: Not Available
Extended Protection: Yes
Purchase Protection: $250/claim, $50,000 lifetime
(maximum)
Price Protection: Yes
Return Protection: $250/claim, maximum $1,000 per year
Master Road Assist Roadside: Not Available
Mastercard Global Service: Yes
Travel Accident Insurance: $250,000
Lost Luggage: Yes
Travel and Emergency Assistance Service: Yes
Trip Cancellation: Yes
Personal Identity Theft: Yes
No Preset Spending Limit: Yes

Originally Posted by bribro
Just curious, why would anyone opt not to take a higher credit card tier? The only reason I can think of is to not stick merchants with higher fees.
Because A. with all the self-invented tiers that credit cards have, I wanted to be sure which was the one that was higher up. I thought Platinum was the higher one, but obviously I was wrong.

And B. Because as I've posted, I wanted to know if there were any differences in benefits. Which there are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.