Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The official Chase description:
Merchants in this category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.

Some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, educational merchants arranging travel, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, excursions, tourist attractions, RV and boat rentals, merchants within hotels and airports, public campgrounds and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. Purchases from gift card merchants or merchants that sell points or miles will not qualify in the travel category.
What counts as Travel?
  • Airline purchases, fees & gift cards
  • AA e-gift certificate
  • Delta eGift Cards
  • UA in-flight bev

Hotels:
  • Marriott GC and hotel charges
  • Airbnb & their GC
  • hotels.com (NOT hotels.com e-gift cert!)
  • Hotel restaurants not charged to room (verified at Renaissance LV)
  • Priceline "opaque" hotel purchases
  • Kruger National Park lodging reservation (booked on sanparks.org official site)

Transit, including parking, trains, ferries, toll roads, etc:
  • Taxi fares: Uber, Lyft, Gett, Way2Ride, London taxi, Fasten (Austin)
  • Transit fees: BART, MTA, FastTrak, Clipper Card (Bay Area), MetroCard, DC Metro (WMATA) SmarTrip farecard and commemorative cards, NJ Transit, Oyster card, Ventra (Chicago), Las Vegas Monorail, Brussels (STIB/MIVB), Incheon Airport Bus tickets, Orca King county(Seattle area), Suica/PASMO (Tokyo IC transit card - Apple pay top up)
  • Parking meters: Atlanta; Chicago; Portland, OR; San Francisco; Atlantic City; Seattle, (Los Angeles but NOT Santa Monica)
  • Public parking garages: San Francisco; Montgomery Co. MD
  • Toll passes: E-Z Pass (MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA), Sunpass prepaid tolls, Washington State GoodToGo tolls, RiverLink tolls, TxTag, IPass (Illinois)
  • Train tickets: trainline (UK train tickets), Eurostar.com, Bahn.com (when using Paypal), Amtrak, italirail.com, Train and bus travel in Scotland at ticket counter.
  • Amtrak dining car purchases (YMMV, recent reports are below):
    • Pacific Surfliner, November 2016 (tmiw): yes, counted as travel with CSR.
      Pacific Surfliner, December 2018 (tmiw): did NOT count as travel (no travel credit), but did count as dining for 3x.
    • San Joaquin, December 2015 (serpens): counted as 3x on CSR, unknown if counted as travel.
    • unknown train/date (StanJazz): counted as dining on Freedom and CSP.
  • Ferries: Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE and NYWaterway (Belford-Pier 11)
  • Shuttles: Jackson Hole WY Airport official shuttle to town
  • Unlimted JR Pass for Japan purchased from japan-rail-pass.com

Misc:
  • MileagePlusX Uber GC [NB MPX eBay did NOT count, so it appears to be only actual travel related items on MPX]
  • Royal Caribbean drink package
  • Cruise bookings
  • Cruise Excursions Booked Prior to Cruise (and fully refundable)
  • MIR Travel Agency
  • undercovertourist.com
  • Rental cars (verified Avis on page 7 of this thread, Hertz)
  • Car Share (Car2Go) (ReachNow)
  • Lahaina Cruise Co. (Hawaii Ocean Project whale watch cruise)
  • Interval International Exchange Fee + Upgrade Fee
  • Aircraft title transfer registration fees with ICAO's International Registry of Mobile Assets (Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol)
  • Viator/TripAdvisor
  • Recreation.gov fees for reserving federal park campsites do not count as "travel"
  • Point.me award search site starter pass

Also, see THIS thread for additional locations.

Print Wikipost

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by friedablass
I have been getting 3x on uber since I have the CSR. Then they started giving free Lyft Pink and 10x points on Lyft ride through March 2025 so I try to use that when it makes sense. You can get 5x on CSP with Lyft and other Chase cards also have increased earnings on Lyft.

https://www.lyft.com/chase
It's too bad Lyft doesn't have the equivalent of UberEats
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
That specifically leaves out rideshares, subways, tours, and museums.
“Travel” for the purposes of the CSR’s 3X and CSP’s 2X points includes what Chase calls “Local transit and commuting”. Rideshares are explicitly named as part of this category, and subways also qualify. I can personally attest to receiving 3X points for recent travel on Chicago’s ‘L’ and NYC’s subway.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:15 am

deleted
SpaethCo likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:52 am

Chase Sapphire Preferred.
I am going to have to see if I can find a detailed list of what Chase defines as a travel category.
The travel categories are exactly the same between Sapphire Reserve and Sapphire Preferred, the only difference is that Reserve earns 3x while Preferred earns 2x on the travel category.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Rare
“Travel” for the purposes of the CSR’s 3X and CSP’s 2X points includes what Chase calls “Local transit and commuting”. Rideshares are explicitly named as part of this category, and subways also qualify. I can personally attest to receiving 3X points for recent travel on Chicago’s ‘L’ and NYC’s subway.
I can also confirm getting 3X on CSR for France's SNCF transit tickets.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:56 pm

Preferred did get 3x on groceries, I have never heard of CSR getting anything other than 1x on groceries.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:08 pm

Looks like I was right, but it is online only now, not in store.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred offers 3x points on online grocery stores (the Chase Sapphire Reservedoesn’t offer any additional bonus points on these purchases):
  • The online grocery (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs) category includes purchases for grocery pickup and delivery that are placed online with grocery stores, specialty food stores or delivery service merchants that classify as grocery store merchants (excluding membership and subscription fees)
  • Meal kit delivery services are included
  • Some merchants that sell grocery items are not included in this category; for example, larger stores that sell a wide variety of goods and groceries like Walmart and Target, wholesale clubs such as Costco and BJs, liquor stores and merchants that specialize in only a few grocery items
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Preferred did get 3x on groceries, I have never heard of CSR getting anything other than 1x on groceries.
During the pandemic Chase temporarily offered 3X on groceries for the CSR. I received an email with that offer on 11/2/2020:

"Earn 3x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from Nov. 1, 2020 to Apr. 30, 2021, including
pickup and eligible grocery store delivery services.* It's automatic—no activation required."

If memory serves right, that nicely aligned with PYB at the time
Rare and friedablass like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Yes, and at a rate of 1.5 (as opposed to the 1.25 they're giving now).
Rare and notquiteaff like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:15 pm

During the pandemic Chase temporarily offered 3X on groceries for the CSR. I received an email with that offer on 11/2/2020:

"Earn 3x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from Nov. 1, 2020 to Apr. 30, 2021, including
pickup and eligible grocery store delivery services.* It's automatic—no activation required."

And in May-June 2020, when almost no one was traveling, they gave 5x on groceries. Between those bonuses, and the 1.5x Pay Yourself Back, it was a fantastic deal. Much of our food was free for that year!

I am trying to justify getting the Reserve. The only value proposition for me would be the SUB at this point, but based on my excel, the reserve does not provide a better ROI than other cards that I have, so it will only be a SUB that drives me to get the card, if I can.
It sounds like you've done the math and come to that conclusion. I won't try to change your mind, but I will say that for me the CSR (paired with the CF and CFU) still seems to be the best card.

When it first came out, I based my calculation on the $55 net additional annual fee. I could more than make up for that with the extra point for travel expenses. But when the net fee increased to $155, I started looking for alternatives.

However, some of the extra perks bring that down a bit. There's $5/month DoorDash credit, so I go and pick up some free Chipotle every other month or so. That's $60/year. (And DoorDash frequently runs promotions for as much as 30-50% off.) If you have Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, or NEXUS, that's another $10-20/year. (Though it sounds like you already have that covered by another card.) That brings the net down to $85 or less. With other benefits like occasional Priority Pass use, travel insurance claims, and Pay Yourself Back, I've gotten a lot of value out of this card. I'm still keeping my eyes open for something better, but for now I'm keeping the CSR.

I just wish I could have a CSP and CSR at the same time.
I'm curious, why? I had both for a short time; I had a CSP before the CSR existed. After getting the CSR, I PC'd the CSP to a CFU because I couldn't think of a reason to have both. What advantages do you see?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Rare
And in May-June 2020, when almost no one was traveling, they gave 5x on groceries. Between those bonuses, and the 1.5x Pay Yourself Back, it was a fantastic deal. Much of our food was free for that year!
now that you mention it… yes, I recall.

It sounds like you've done the math and come to that conclusion. I won't try to change your mind, but I will say that for me the CSR (paired with the CF and CFU) still seems to be the best card.

When it first came out, I based my calculation on the $55 net additional annual fee. I could more than make up for that with the extra point for travel expenses. But when the net fee increased to $155, I started looking for alternatives.

However, some of the extra perks bring that down a bit.

I'm curious, why? I had both for a short time; I had a CSP before the CSR existed. After getting the CSR, I PC'd the CSP to a CFU because I couldn't think of a reason to have both. What advantages do you see?
I started out with the CSP, too, and after I got the CSR, I, too, downgraded the CSP to a CFU.

Many people seem to find that the CSP is the better choice for them. I easily recoup the difference in effective annual fee with the priority dining credits. This year alone I have received $380 worth of dining credits for myself and my wife. I could discount that somewhat to account for alternative dining choices I might have made without the credit, but I am pretty sure it still makes up for the difference in AF. And then there are obviously other advantages that lead me to keep the CSR. My wife has the CSP, but we put most of our travel spend on my cards.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:34 am

Does anyone know loading united travel bank counts as travel for CSR? Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by neony77
Does anyone know loading united travel bank counts as travel for CSR? Thanks!
This was asked in May 2021 and the poster said they were going to test it but doesn't seem like they followed up to confirm if it does or doesn't work. If you are going to be able to use TB funds anyway, I would test it with the lowest amount (I believe $50) and see what happens. Should only take a couple of days for you to see if you get the credit.

I had the same question awhile back if Uber cash reloads work. I took the risk and loaded $25. It worked so I did the rest of my $300 travel as Uber cash reload since for me it was the easiest way to get exactly to $300 and we use Uber/Uber Eats (which shares the funds from the Uber cash balance) all the time so no issue using the funds in no time.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:25 pm

I got an email saying they brought the grocery back, but checking that email, it ended in April. So nothing now.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:56 pm

now that you mention it… yes, I recall.

I started out with the CSP, too, and after I got the CSR, I, too, downgraded the CSP to a CFU.

Many people seem to find that the CSP is the better choice for them. I easily recoup the difference in effective annual fee with the priority dining credits. This year alone I have received $380 worth of dining credits for myself and my wife. I could discount that somewhat to account for alternative dining choices I might have made without the credit, but I am pretty sure it still makes up for the difference in AF. And then there are obviously other advantages that lead me to keep the CSR. My wife has the CSP, but we put most of our travel spend on my cards.
Priority dining credits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.