FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1395555-what-counts-travel-sapphire-ink-consolidated.html)

shannona Oct 8, 2012 8:40 pm

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Can somebody tell me or point me to info on what counts as travel on the Chase Sapphire card? For instance, I'm planning to buy Annual Passes to Disney World and I'm not sure if that will count.

guv1976 Oct 8, 2012 9:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

From the UR Terms and Conditions:

"You will earn an additional 1 point for each $1 of Net Purchases made at merchants that classify their merchant location for Visa/Mastercard in any of the following categories: dining establishments ..., airlines, airports, car rental agencies ..., cruise ships, hotels and motels, timeshares, local and commuter transportation ..., travel agencies." (Parenthetical explanations of categories omitted.)

Ragnarok Oct 8, 2012 11:09 pm

It is actually pretty wide, I even have had parking charges earning the extra point.

srdshelly Oct 9, 2012 4:37 am

It is pretty broad, but I doubt that an amusement park is coded as "travel". You might just call Chase and ask specifically about Disney World. One of the very best things about Chase is that when you call a human being is on the line within seconds.

shannona Oct 9, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks for the replies.

redtop43 Oct 9, 2012 11:12 am

Taxis earn double also.

I doubt Disney will though. Much more like a theater or movie ticket than "travel."

Mary2e Oct 9, 2012 11:25 am

Originally Posted by shannona (Post 19461381)
Can somebody tell me or point me to info on what counts as travel on the Chase Sapphire card? For instance, I'm planning to buy Annual Passes to Disney World and I'm not sure if that will count.

I have found that anything charged at Disneyworld counts as travel - at least on my UA Presidential Plus card.

To be extra safe, since those annual passes are expensive, just charge them to your room.

amolkold Oct 9, 2012 3:26 pm

The only "travel" thing you don't get 2x on is gas :(

frank_10b Oct 9, 2012 5:48 pm

i have noticed that lots of foreign transactions that are restaurants and travel do not receive the bonus
what can be done about this?

amolkold Oct 9, 2012 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b (Post 19467232)
i have noticed that lots of foreign transactions that are restaurants and travel do not receive the bonus
what can be done about this?

If the merchant name is very very obvious (has "Hotel" or "Restaurant" in the name), then I call in to Chase. I've gotten customer service points out of that.

frank_10b Oct 9, 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 19467533)
If the merchant name is very very obvious (has "Hotel" or "Restaurant" in the name), then I call in to Chase. I've gotten customer service points out of that.

not always so easy in asia, seems like this happens a lot with foreign trans

JaysonW Oct 9, 2012 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 19466429)
The only "travel" thing you don't get 2x on is gas :(

...which drives me absolutely crazy. Even the lesser card, Chase Freedom, gives its cardholders 5 points/$ in two quarters per year, but us CSP cardholders get the lousy regular 1pt/$ for buying gas.

FlyingDoctorwu Feb 23, 2013 6:57 am

Is Homeaway/VRBO considered a travel category by Chase

Hey all:
looking to book a vacation rental house via Homeaway/VRBO and I have the option to use their site for payment via CC. Just curious if anyone has had an experience using a Chase Sapphire card via this site and if it triggers the travel bonus. if not then I'll use my SPG card

thanks

FDW

wrxmom Feb 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Unfortunately it's not.

PainCorp Feb 23, 2013 10:16 pm

This should have gone in one of the many existing Chase Sapphire threads.