Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The official Chase description:
Merchants in this category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.

Some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, educational merchants arranging travel, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, excursions, tourist attractions, RV and boat rentals, merchants within hotels and airports, public campgrounds and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. Purchases from gift card merchants or merchants that sell points or miles will not qualify in the travel category.
What counts as Travel?
  • Airline purchases, fees & gift cards
  • AA e-gift certificate
  • Delta eGift Cards
  • UA in-flight bev

Hotels:
  • Marriott GC and hotel charges
  • Airbnb & their GC
  • hotels.com (NOT hotels.com e-gift cert!)
  • Hotel restaurants not charged to room (verified at Renaissance LV)
  • Priceline "opaque" hotel purchases
  • Kruger National Park lodging reservation (booked on sanparks.org official site)

Transit, including parking, trains, ferries, toll roads, etc:
  • Taxi fares: Uber, Lyft, Gett, Way2Ride, London taxi, Fasten (Austin)
  • Transit fees: BART, MTA, FastTrak, Clipper Card (Bay Area), MetroCard, DC Metro (WMATA) SmarTrip farecard and commemorative cards, NJ Transit, Oyster card, Ventra (Chicago), Las Vegas Monorail, Brussels (STIB/MIVB), Incheon Airport Bus tickets, Orca King county(Seattle area), Suica/PASMO (Tokyo IC transit card - Apple pay top up)
  • Parking meters: Atlanta; Chicago; Portland, OR; San Francisco; Atlantic City; Seattle, (Los Angeles but NOT Santa Monica)
  • Public parking garages: San Francisco; Montgomery Co. MD
  • Toll passes: E-Z Pass (MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA), Sunpass prepaid tolls, Washington State GoodToGo tolls, RiverLink tolls, TxTag, IPass (Illinois)
  • Train tickets: trainline (UK train tickets), Eurostar.com, Bahn.com (when using Paypal), Amtrak, italirail.com, Train and bus travel in Scotland at ticket counter.
  • Amtrak dining car purchases (YMMV, recent reports are below):
    • Pacific Surfliner, November 2016 (tmiw): yes, counted as travel with CSR.
      Pacific Surfliner, December 2018 (tmiw): did NOT count as travel (no travel credit), but did count as dining for 3x.
    • San Joaquin, December 2015 (serpens): counted as 3x on CSR, unknown if counted as travel.
    • unknown train/date (StanJazz): counted as dining on Freedom and CSP.
  • Ferries: Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE and NYWaterway (Belford-Pier 11)
  • Shuttles: Jackson Hole WY Airport official shuttle to town
  • Unlimted JR Pass for Japan purchased from japan-rail-pass.com

Misc:
  • MileagePlusX Uber GC [NB MPX eBay did NOT count, so it appears to be only actual travel related items on MPX]
  • Royal Caribbean drink package
  • Cruise bookings
  • Cruise Excursions Booked Prior to Cruise (and fully refundable)
  • MIR Travel Agency
  • undercovertourist.com
  • Rental cars (verified Avis on page 7 of this thread, Hertz)
  • Car Share (Car2Go) (ReachNow)
  • Lahaina Cruise Co. (Hawaii Ocean Project whale watch cruise)
  • Interval International Exchange Fee + Upgrade Fee
  • Aircraft title transfer registration fees with ICAO's International Registry of Mobile Assets (Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol)
  • Viator/TripAdvisor
  • Recreation.gov fees for reserving federal park campsites do not count as "travel"
  • Point.me award search site starter pass

Also, see THIS thread for additional locations.

Print Wikipost

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by serpens
It wasn't a stupid question, it was a reasonable response to an addiction to using TLAs at the expense of clarity--something that is common. (TLA, in case it wasn't clear, means Three Letter Acronym.)
Thank you for your parenthetical comment (which saved me from ANOTHER [arguably] stupid question).
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by roberton
Can anyone confirm whether or not moving companies count as travel with Chase? I would've guessed no, but when I looked up my moving company (Gentle Giant) in AwardWallet's merchant lookup tool, it came up coded as travel. But AwardWallet lists CSR 3x points as "unconfirmed" (i.e., based on the coding, it should get 3x points with the CSR, but they haven't confirmed that).
Same question here. Debating CSR or United Club, anyone?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by DG206
Same question here. Debating CSR or United Club, anyone?
You can look up your specific moving company in the Visa Supplier Locator. https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator...pplier-locator
Old May 13, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Does Travel Bank at United Count for Chase Travel Spend?

Couldn't find this on the thread, but I got an offer today for 8 miles per dollar spent on my United card. Does anyone know if I can just spend $1,500 on Travel Bank and use that for flights later?

Thank you!

Your offer is activated.

Reminder:

From 5/15/21 to 8/15/21, you'll earn 8 total miles on United purchases and 5 total miles for every $1 you spend on other travel purchases and at gas stations on up to $1,500 in total combined purchases with your United MileagePlus® Credit Card.*
Old May 13, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Couldn't find this on the thread, but I got an offer today for 8 miles per dollar spent on my United card. Does anyone know if I can just spend $1,500 on Travel Bank and use that for flights later?

Thank you!

Your offer is activated.

Reminder:

From 5/15/21 to 8/15/21, you'll earn 8 total miles on United purchases and 5 total miles for every $1 you spend on other travel purchases and at gas stations on up to $1,500 in total combined purchases with your United MileagePlus® Credit Card.*
I can't tell you what will happen with Chase, but I can tell you that it did count as airline spending on my AmEx Aspire at the end of last year.
Old May 13, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I can't tell you what will happen with Chase, but I can tell you that it did count as airline spending on my AmEx Aspire at the end of last year.
I did that as well with 2 Golds, Aspire, etc. My concern is that Chase and United are partners and I'm hoping to stack this (8 points on United spend) with the Travel Bank promo I got for $30/month where I spend $300 on the card. I could cover $1200 of the $1500 limit by spending $300 in May, June, July and August and for $1200 in spend I'd get $120 in Travel Bank cash plus 9,600 United miles. Really good return on that spending, given I value United miles at about 1.3 cents each, so close to $225 in value on $1,200 in spend.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
I did that as well with 2 Golds, Aspire, etc. My concern is that Chase and United are partners and I'm hoping to stack this (8 points on United spend) with the Travel Bank promo I got for $30/month where I spend $300 on the card. I could cover $1200 of the $1500 limit by spending $300 in May, June, July and August and for $1200 in spend I'd get $120 in Travel Bank cash plus 9,600 United miles. Really good return on that spending, given I value United miles at about 1.3 cents each, so close to $225 in value on $1,200 in spend.
My advice would be to make a small travel bank purchase and see what happens.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
My advice would be to make a small travel bank purchase and see what happens.
I'm going to, but the terms say the TB cash will show up in 8-12 weeks. Thinking I'll just roll the dice though. I can easily spend the TB balance, just not sure if I'll get the bonus.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
pay for andBeyond booking with CSR - get 3X?

I am close to making a deposit on a safari with andBeyond for 2022. They are offering a 3% discount if I pay cash, but I kinda figured on paying with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, as long as I get 3X points for the booking. Does anyone have experience booking an andBeyond safari with the CSR?

The trip insurance offered by the CSR is another consideration, but it tops out at $20K for two people, so I would probably supplement with other travel insurance. Not sure how that would work out yet. Any advice on that would be appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:04 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
CSR provides:
  • Cancellation coverage $10K per person
  • No Trip Interruption
  • Travel Delay (6 hours – weather only)
  • Baggage Delay - $500 ($100 a day for 5 days)
  • Lost Baggage - $3K
  • Medical $2500 with a $50 deductible (states life threatening)
  • Evacuation $100K
  • No preexisting coverage
  • Car Collison $75K
by comparison, Travelex Travel Select offers:
  • Cancellation coverage - 100% of trip cost (up to the amount of coverage you purchase)
  • Trip Interruption - 150% of cancellation protection purchased
  • Travel Delay (5 hours – $250 a day up to $750)
  • Baggage Delay - $200 (kicks in at 12 hours of delay)
  • Lost Baggage - $1000
  • Medical $50,000 with zero deductible
  • Evacuation $500,000
  • Preexisting coverage if policy purchased within 15 days of first deposit on trip
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:43 am

As I understand it, evacuation means getting you to the nearest competent hospital in case of emergency rather than, for example, getting you to a hospital near home (unless that would be medically necessary), and providing related medical care.

Chase appears to offer trip interruption coverage: Travel Benefits (chase.com) and Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance (chase.com)
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:23 am

AndBeyond recommended GlobalRescue for travel insurance. Anyone use them? It seems you have to pay an enrollment fee and then you choose your add-on insurance. Seems like this will be very expensive, and probably overkill for our safari.

Anyone know if it's possible to combine the CC insurance and a separate policy? Since CSR would cover $20K for the two of us, I'm thinking I could save $$ by just buying a separate policy to cover the remaining $12K.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:40 am

I looked at Travelex. The main benefit I see is an additional $12,000 of cancellation coverage at a cost of $2,700 or more, which does not seem a good value to me. Cancellation seems to require the travelers or close relatives to be very sick or dead, although Travelex also covers specified work or weather requirements. Not being able to travel due to covid entry restrictions or not wanting to travel do not appear to be covered by anyone.

I would think the CSR covers just about everything else Travelex covers. Travelex would pay more for evacuation, but I find it hard to believe getting to a hospital costs more than $100,000. From what I can tell the terms of Travelex and CSR are the same, other than the coverage amounts and some specific cases, but I have not studied the details. I had previously looked at AIG Travelguard, which seemed similar to Travelex.

I have not seen any excess coverage separate policies.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong on any of this, since I'm considering similar issues. I'd strongly recommending reading the exact terms of the policies and considering costs, benefits and probabilities.
mangoMan likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:07 am

I paid my deposit with &Beyond with my CSR and I can confirm I did get 3X points. To me this is worth at least 4.5% which beats the 3% discount &Beyond offered for a cash payment. Plus I get the CSR travel insurance.

I have not yet purchased a separate travel policy, and I may just content myself with the $20K the CSR offers.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think the experts in the Chase card forum would be more knowledgable about this so I am sending this thread there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.