Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The official Chase description:
Merchants in this category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.

Some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, educational merchants arranging travel, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, excursions, tourist attractions, RV and boat rentals, merchants within hotels and airports, public campgrounds and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. Purchases from gift card merchants or merchants that sell points or miles will not qualify in the travel category.
What counts as Travel?
  • Airline purchases, fees & gift cards
  • AA e-gift certificate
  • Delta eGift Cards
  • UA in-flight bev

Hotels:
  • Marriott GC and hotel charges
  • Airbnb & their GC
  • hotels.com (NOT hotels.com e-gift cert!)
  • Hotel restaurants not charged to room (verified at Renaissance LV)
  • Priceline "opaque" hotel purchases
  • Kruger National Park lodging reservation (booked on sanparks.org official site)

Transit, including parking, trains, ferries, toll roads, etc:
  • Taxi fares: Uber, Lyft, Gett, Way2Ride, London taxi, Fasten (Austin)
  • Transit fees: BART, MTA, FastTrak, Clipper Card (Bay Area), MetroCard, DC Metro (WMATA) SmarTrip farecard and commemorative cards, NJ Transit, Oyster card, Ventra (Chicago), Las Vegas Monorail, Brussels (STIB/MIVB), Incheon Airport Bus tickets, Orca King county(Seattle area), Suica/PASMO (Tokyo IC transit card - Apple pay top up)
  • Parking meters: Atlanta; Chicago; Portland, OR; San Francisco; Atlantic City; Seattle, (Los Angeles but NOT Santa Monica)
  • Public parking garages: San Francisco; Montgomery Co. MD
  • Toll passes: E-Z Pass (MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA), Sunpass prepaid tolls, Washington State GoodToGo tolls, RiverLink tolls, TxTag, IPass (Illinois)
  • Train tickets: trainline (UK train tickets), Eurostar.com, Bahn.com (when using Paypal), Amtrak, italirail.com, Train and bus travel in Scotland at ticket counter.
  • Amtrak dining car purchases (YMMV, recent reports are below):
    • Pacific Surfliner, November 2016 (tmiw): yes, counted as travel with CSR.
      Pacific Surfliner, December 2018 (tmiw): did NOT count as travel (no travel credit), but did count as dining for 3x.
    • San Joaquin, December 2015 (serpens): counted as 3x on CSR, unknown if counted as travel.
    • unknown train/date (StanJazz): counted as dining on Freedom and CSP.
  • Ferries: Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE and NYWaterway (Belford-Pier 11)
  • Shuttles: Jackson Hole WY Airport official shuttle to town
  • Unlimted JR Pass for Japan purchased from japan-rail-pass.com

Misc:
  • MileagePlusX Uber GC [NB MPX eBay did NOT count, so it appears to be only actual travel related items on MPX]
  • Royal Caribbean drink package
  • Cruise bookings
  • Cruise Excursions Booked Prior to Cruise (and fully refundable)
  • MIR Travel Agency
  • undercovertourist.com
  • Rental cars (verified Avis on page 7 of this thread, Hertz)
  • Car Share (Car2Go) (ReachNow)
  • Lahaina Cruise Co. (Hawaii Ocean Project whale watch cruise)
  • Interval International Exchange Fee + Upgrade Fee
  • Aircraft title transfer registration fees with ICAO's International Registry of Mobile Assets (Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol)
  • Viator/TripAdvisor
  • Recreation.gov fees for reserving federal park campsites do not count as "travel"
  • Point.me award search site starter pass

Also, see THIS thread for additional locations.

Print Wikipost

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schnit
It all depends on how you redeem your points

If you redeem for travel directly it can make a big difference. Most people on here use it for transfer partners, where you don't get the extra benefit. I personally use most of mine for cruises so it can make a big difference
I used it once to book a cruise then it came Covid. The refund process was so so so bad going thru Chase travel portal, that the 1.5x was not worth it at all, let alone it is only a 0.25 difference comparing to the CSP.

On top of that you dont earn anything when you booked with points. You only save some out of pocket cash.

Do you know if you book your cruise with United Cruises, the portal by UA, you will get 4x UA miles back and more when you have an UA card? And if you book better cabin better line, the earning could be up to 10x UA miles plus additional bonus of 10 to 15K UA miles? You also can deal with a particular agent versus dealing with anyone each time you call Chase travel portal about your booking.

United Cruises portal is SO EASY to search and you could book online but dealing with an agent that you could establish a relationship going forward, is so much better than using Chase portal.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 16, 2023 at 12:16 am
Old Aug 16, 2023, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I used it once to book a cruise then it came Covid. The refund process was so so so bad going thru Chase travel portal, that the 1.5x was not worth it at all, let alone it is only a 0.25 difference comparing to the CSP.

On top of that you dont earn anything when you booked with points. You only save some out of pocket cash.

Do you know if you book your cruise with United Cruises, the portal by UA, you will get 4x UA miles back and more when you have an UA card? And if you book better cabin better line, the earning could be up to 10x UA miles plus additional bonus of 10 to 15K UA miles? You also can deal with a particular agent versus dealing with anyone each time you call Chase travel portal about your booking.

United Cruises portal is SO EASY to search and you could book online but dealing with an agent that you could establish a relationship going forward, is so much better than using Chase portal.
I've done both. In both instances agents gave me their direct extensions but never did I actually reach the same person again
willoL likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by neony77
Does anyone know loading united travel bank counts as travel for CSR? Thanks!
Update - I tried this and got the travel credit, so this works!
friedablass likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:16 pm

Buying gift cards with CSR

Guys - can somebody verify my calculations below? Buying discounted gift cards for travel like airbnb vs booking an actual reservation with airbnb. I'm assuming Chase cards would tag gift cards for 1x point per $1 spent right?
Airbnb $500 gift card for $450 - 450 UR earned
Airbnb actual reservation for $500 - 1500 UR earned

Net difference in UR is 1050 and if you value them at 1.5 points, it's $16 so you gain 50-16 or $34 which isn't a big saving and if you don't use it right away, inflation is going to eat that up too

Another reason not to buy gift cards - you lose all travel protection/cancelation features you gain with CSR

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:24 pm

Sounds about right to me, if you value them at 1.5

I have never purchased AirBNB giftcards to know how they code, but Grubhub I know does not count as restaurants. I imagine most big websites like that are similar
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:27 pm

Are there any gift you folks have purchased that actually count as the underlying product?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:28 pm

Marriott Gift Cards do code as Marriott, so you get the bonus. Its helpful during the occasional sales during COVID, havent seen one recently
Old Dec 1, 2023, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - can somebody verify my calculations below? Buying discounted gift cards for travel like airbnb vs booking an actual reservation with airbnb. I'm assuming Chase cards would tag gift cards for 1x point per $1 spent right?
I've merged your question into an existing thread. Search back thru this thread for specific examples of which gift cards count as travel. There are reports that confirm AirBnb electronic gift cards are only 1x.

I've found very few, if any, travel vendor electronic gift cards count as travel. Quite a few food chain in-app gift card purchases will count as restaurants (Starbucks, Panera, etc.) so that can be something useful.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 1:31 pm

Anyone know what gift cards count as travel on Ritz? I know it is more limited than the Reserve card, but curious if I can get United Travel Bank reimbursed.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:06 pm

I booked two reward flights through Avios.com for Aer Lingus and did not receive the CSR travel credit for the cash portion of my fare. Was kind of surprised by this, though it doesn't really matter because I'll get the $300. eventually.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:46 pm

I can't seem to find it here in the thread, but any DPs for Clear counting as travel and triggering the $300 credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.