FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1330475-limited-availability-ua-mp-explorer-up-55k-possible-50-stmt-credit.html)

ZachAJ Apr 23, 2012 11:11 am

Sorry for being such a newbie, but how do you transfer your miles from Chase to United to be able to book tickets? My Chase statement just showed up and shows that I have 50K miles, but it isn't showing up in my United account. Do I have to transfer them manually?

SPLP007 Apr 23, 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by zachaj (Post 18446281)
sorry for being such a newbie, but how do you transfer your miles from chase to united to be able to book tickets? My chase statement just showed up and shows that i have 50k miles, but it isn't showing up in my united account. Do i have to transfer them manually?

assume u got them from a untd credit card,-- wait a few days they will show up on your mileage acct with untd --chase does the transfer automatically

JaguarBest Apr 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman (Post 18437550)
Applied for 30K 2 months ago, have now gotten matched 3 separate times through Chase secure messages for 50K/60K, then 50K/60K + $50 statement, then 55K/65K + $50 statement. Love it!

Don't understand what you are saying. Did you apply for 3 MP Cards and you got approved for all 3?

I applied for the 50K Card and got approved for it, got my 50K points -- applied for it 2 months ago.

Wonder if I can apply now for the 65K + $50 statement credit. Did anybody do this?

smedleyb Apr 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in!

Haven't applied for a card in almost 5 months, but I broke down and applied for the UA card Saturday night. I got a "pending" response but when I called today they said the application was approved Saturday. Nice.

Off to open a Fidelity account for an additional 50K points and hopefully double dip with Delta.

dmattj Apr 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyT (Post 18446035)
Hey just wanted to update y'all that my 50k bonus miles just posted! I might've slipped through the cracks so i still call it a YMMV situation

(previously you said ) "It does sound like they are starting to crack down on this offer though based on some recent posts..."

I've looked through this entire thread and was following the previous Explorer thread and I see nothing of the kind. Where do you see a post that would indicate that UA is "cracking down" on this offer by denying the bonus miles to someone who had a previous UA Visa Miles Plus card? I seem to remember one instance of someone not getting the miles but that was compared to several previous Visa MP holders getting the bonus miles.

I cancelled my UA Visa over 6 months ago but just payed the balance off last month and was waiting for it to disappear from my account page to go for this offer.

Happy Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman (Post 18437550)
Applied for 30K 2 months ago, have now gotten matched 3 separate times through Chase secure messages for 50K/60K, then 50K/60K + $50 statement, then 55K/65K + $50 statement. Love it!

Originally Posted by JaguarBest (Post 18446675)
Don't understand what you are saying. Did you apply for 3 MP Cards and you got approved for all 3?

I applied for the 50K Card and got approved for it, got my 50K points -- applied for it 2 months ago.

Wonder if I can apply now for the 65K + $50 statement credit. Did anybody do this?

The poster did not get 3 cards. He got ONE, the 30K offer. He was able to have Chase MATCHED the better offers for 3 times - each time he got the INCREMENTAL of the bonuses, i.e. 1st match, got the additional bonus to make the total be 50K. 2nd match, got the $50 statement credit. 3rd match, got the 5K for adding AU.

Originally Posted by dmattj (Post 18447703)
(previously you said ) "It does sound like they are starting to crack down on this offer though based on some recent posts..."

I've looked through this entire thread and was following the previous Explorer thread and I see nothing of the kind. Where do you see a post that would indicate that UA is "cracking down" on this offer by denying the bonus miles to someone who had a previous UA Visa Miles Plus card? I seem to remember one instance of someone not getting the miles but that was compared to several previous Visa MP holders getting the bonus miles.

I cancelled my UA Visa over 6 months ago but just payed the balance off last month and was waiting for it to disappear from my account page to go for this offer.

As long as you haven't had an EXPLORER card before, you should be able to get bonus. The Explorer card is a different version from the previous MP Visa. Chase is very good at giving bonus for a different product, or at least make up the difference in bonus.

I am not sure I understand the underlined part of your post. You mean when you canceled your card 6 months ago you still had UNPAID balance which took you 6 months to pay it off?! If so, I am not sure how Chase view this or how the unpaid balance shows up on your credit report.

Canceled account does NOT drop off the online screen whether it has balance or not. There is a Hide/Show account function that is in the Customer Service area. You need to Manually "Hide" the account if you do not want to see it on the screen. It does not make an iota difference in terms of account approval - it is a pure function for online viewing. Chase can see cancelled accounts for as far back as several years in its internal system. In fact any account that is closed within a year, readily shows up on the rep's screen when you call for recon based from my experiences. Recently a rep wanted to move my closed CO card's line to the UA Explorer card before she realized the CO card was closed last year (in exchange for a MR card.)

Happy Apr 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by udaykiran82 (Post 18439560)
How many days will it take for ultimate rewards transfer to united take..as i did it on friday and haven't seen them yet...

Originally Posted by allanfan (Post 18439949)
Normally it's instant.

Originally Posted by udaykiran82 (Post 18440180)
Thanks allanfan..let me check with chase..

udaykiran82, have you found out what is going on?

I just did a test transfer to husband's account before doing a big transfer. It is NOT instant as with Hyatt's GoldPassport program I did before.

I am not sure this is Chase issue or UA issue as since 3/3/12 there are tons of glitches with the merged program. Lots of people complained on UA forum that their earned miles, both EQM and RDM are not posted on time. COdbaUA actually deliberately designs this way but now the CEO acknowledges it has been a mistake... I wonder if anyone got an Instant transfer after 3/3/12?

EDIT:

Post 206, on 4/15 the poster transferred 1000 to his Dad's account and it showed up
Instantly...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18399970-post206.html

Looks like if it does not show up by tomorrow, a call to Chase is in order.

udaykiran82 Apr 23, 2012 5:12 pm

I sent a SM and they said the order is in open status so it may take 1-2days and it will be 2 days tomorrow and if it doesn't happen by then will mail them tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 18448543)
udaykiran82, have you found out what is going on?

I just did a test transfer to husband's account before doing a big transfer. It is NOT instant as with Hyatt's GoldPassport program I did before.

I am not sure this is Chase issue or UA issue as since 3/3/12 there are tons of glitches with the merged program. Lots of people complained on UA forum that their earned miles, both EQM and RDM are not posted on time. COdbaUA actually deliberately designs this way but now the CEO acknowledges it has been a mistake... I wonder if anyone got an Instant transfer after 3/3/12?

EDIT:

Post 206, on 4/15 the poster transferred 1000 to his Dad's account and it showed up
Instantly...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18399970-post206.html

Looks like if it does not show up by tomorrow, a call to Chase is in order.

Happy Apr 23, 2012 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by udaykiran82 (Post 18448696)
I sent a SM and they said the order is in open status so it may take 1-2days and it will be 2 days tomorrow and if it doesn't happen by then will mail them tomorrow.

I sent an SM and also called just now.

The rep said it showed completed in her system. She did say UR has had some system issues on the weekend, and today also. It was down for a few hours just before I called.

I now see the line item showed up in United side, but the total balance does NOT. That is strange, unless UA system does a batch processing overnight for balances. It is still weird because with BA or Hyatt, the transfer immediately is reflected in the balance, i.e. with Hyatt I transfer exactly the amount I need to book a stay and it is immediately available for booking. Right now, the transferred UR pts showed up as 1,000 coming from UR but is not reflected in the total balance of the account.

dmattj Apr 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 18447869)
part of your post. You mean when you canceled your card 6 months ago you still had UNPAID balance which took you 6 months to pay it off?! If so, I am not sure how Chase view this or how the unpaid balance shows up on your credit report.

I simply made payments the same as if I still had the card, paying more than the minimum payment each month, then payed off the balance. Never thought of that as a bad thing. Doesn't seem to have had any negative effect on my score. Just shows up as a customer closed account on the report.

Happy Apr 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by dmattj (Post 18448819)
I simply made payments the same as if I still had the card, paying more than the minimum payment each month, then payed off the balance. Never thought of that as a bad thing. Doesn't seem to have had any negative effect on my score. Just shows up as a customer closed account on the report.

So you are incurring finance charge every month until you paid off your balance... with the reward card's high double digit finance charge rate, the value of miles gained may not be bigger than the finance charge involved. (even taken into account of the initial bonus when a mile probably realistically worth 0.015 to 0.030 in most cases if one does not fool oneself on the highly inflated retail price of premium cabin longhaul.)

But then may be you are among the bank's best customers since the most money the bank makes is from the fees and finance charges.

mrredskin Apr 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by dmattj (Post 18448819)

it's not bad for Chase since they're making bank off of you.

we're not going to tell you how to manage your money, but this "game" is only worthwhile if you pay off your balance every month. if you can't do that, stick to low-interest, 1% cash back cards

dmattj Apr 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 18448924)
it's not bad for Chase since they're making bank off of you.

we're not going to tell you how to manage your money, but this "game" is only worthwhile if you pay off your balance every month. if you can't do that, stick to low-interest, 1% cash back cards

I totally agree about paying off the balance, wasn't my normal practice. Also wasn't a huge amount. For me, I get huge value out of the miles as I use them exclusively to fly to SK, Canada, a ticket that runs between $800-1000 easy RT. I would have to pay a lot in interest to equal the 18 or so RTs I've used miles for the past 5 years.

ZachAJ Apr 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi everyone,

For anyone who is curious, my miles did automatically transfer....eventually. It seems to take 48-72 hours from when they showed up in my Chase online statement for my MileagePlus Explorer card to be in my United account.

Time to book my trip to Europe - Thanks for the help!
Zach

traveltuna Apr 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Got this card about a month ago... good on-going bonuses if you play their game.