Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Hey everyone,

I have had this chase card for almost 2 yrs now. My father wants to sign up...is there a still active link for the 80k sign up bonus? Wasn't sure if the first post was still valid

Also, can I refer him somehow for the card and get pts or something? Wasn't sure!

Thanks I'm advance!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:43 pm

Anyone able to get it without a SSN?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman
Anyone able to get it without a SSN?

Imagine Yakov Smirnoff... heavy Russian accent.

In Russia, we just tell them our KGB number.. what is a SSN?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
1. Store card (a few) INCREASE your credit. Adding 1 store card to your credit profile is considered diversity
2. Never cancel a card with age(assuming no annual fee). You hurt your credit.

Your advice to him would hurt his credit. In addition most stores over time upgrade you and send you gifts. I started with a $100 Gap/Bananna Store card now it's 10k Gap Visa by my doing nothing. Send me a bday gift each yr, coupons etc. Similar with Nordstoms.

Originally Posted by Happy
You really should cancel those store cards long time ago. They are considered low-grade cards as they are very easy to get (in the old days at the register when the cashier asks you if you want the store card and get 10% off your purchases) and major banks usually view store cards with suspicions especially if a person carries many of such. The fact that each store card has / carries a balance makes the banks even more suspicious as this person is really stretching his finance...

Closing low credit limit store cards probably wont affect your score much. It is time to clean house now you are in your 30's.

Last edited by mia; Dec 5, 2012 at 11:24 am Reason: Personal
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
applied for the card yesterday...not instantly approved...went on last night and seen it in my chase.com account..so i assume i'm approved..will wait for the mail..then to confirm the bonus and additional info
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bitachu
applied for the card yesterday...not instantly approved...went on last night and seen it in my chase.com account..so i assume i'm approved..will wait for the mail..then to confirm the bonus and additional info
I assume you used the link on the first thread? I am interested to see if the 80k bonus works with that link...thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
finally got points to post.

Took 3 statements (or 2 if you don't count the first 5 days they give you when the card shows up)

The benefits came piece by piece, but they all arrived just fine

FWIW, I got PLAT status 1 month before the 80k points posted, so whoever said it is part of the card was correct
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:51 pm

Applied Nov. 27, using link from OP - page 1. Approved immediately.
Received card today - confirmed 80k points. yipee!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Okay, I think I've got the spousal unit talked into this one for us. Which would be our first baby steps into churning for travel.

Note #1: Current PC membership is in my name, and I'm also an unemployed/homemaker homemaker sort not currently bringing in much in the way of income. While I don't have a ton of points compared to y'all, it's enough for a couple of nights, and I'd like for the card bonus to go into my PC account.

Note #2: Credit is excellent (800+) but currently 'encumbered'. We were both victims in an identity theft situation in late October, and spouse has even had someone try to take out a Lowe's card in his name.

I know, and am very glad, that there will be no instant approval of any credit cards right now due to Note #2. We've made sure that can't happen right now. So I guess I need a little hand-holding about to make it work despite Note #1, and a reassurance that Chase doesn't automatically deny people with current fraud flags on their accounts, and will do verification of request by mail like Lowe's did.

Thanks for any help with the baby steps!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
1. Store card (a few) INCREASE your credit. Adding 1 store card to your credit profile is considered diversity
2. Never cancel a card with age(assuming no annual fee). You hurt your credit.

Your advice to him would hurt his credit. In addition most stores over time upgrade you and send you gifts. I started with a $100 Gap/Bananna Store card now it's 10k Gap Visa by my doing nothing. Send me a bday gift each yr, coupons etc. Similar with Nordstoms.
Store cards only helps young folks when they first start to establish their credit history because store cards are very easy to get. There is hardly any income verification for example.

'While in general canceling aged card may hurt your credit score - that only again affect people with thin files, i.e. short credit history.

I canceled a 17 or 18 years old Citi card a few years ago. It has not done a blip on my credit. Since then I have gone thru probably many many cards and collected many many miles and points.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Okay, I think I've got the spousal unit talked into this one for us. Which would be our first baby steps into churning for travel.

Note #1: Current PC membership is in my name, and I'm also an unemployed/homemaker homemaker sort not currently bringing in much in the way of income. While I don't have a ton of points compared to y'all, it's enough for a couple of nights, and I'd like for the card bonus to go into my PC account.

Note #2: Credit is excellent (800+) but currently 'encumbered'. We were both victims in an identity theft situation in late October, and spouse has even had someone try to take out a Lowe's card in his name.

I know, and am very glad, that there will be no instant approval of any credit cards right now due to Note #2. We've made sure that can't happen right now. So I guess I need a little hand-holding about to make it work despite Note #1, and a reassurance that Chase doesn't automatically deny people with current fraud flags on their accounts, and will do verification of request by mail like Lowe's did.

Thanks for any help with the baby steps!
Can't help you on No.1.

About No.2, if your reports are on Fraud Alert, banks would call to verify if you have indeed submitted application. If your reports are frozen, banks would send you a denial letter informing you the reason why cannot approve you because they have no access to your credit reports. In this case you call the bank's reconsideration dept back and unfreeze whichever report you decide to let the bank pull. Then the review process starts.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:41 am

I saw upthread that someone wanted to make the bonus post in 2013 to get the Platinum status to last as long as possible.

You might have heard about this already, but just wanted to clarify that that won't work anymore, because starting Jan. 1, only base points will qualify toward status, and not bonus points like those from credit card signups.

Of course, you still get PLT status as long as you are a cardholder.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: All of them
I'm sure this is answered somewhere, but this thread is a behemoth. Does the annual free night show up somewhere in your PC account or do you just have to remember that you get it once you pay the annual fee?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
You receive an e-mail notifying you of the certificate. So far, I have not found it in my online account.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: Southwest A-list, Hiltonhonors Diamond, Delta, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum,
I applied last week using the link in this thread and was approved for 80k points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.