Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:54 am
RNE

Originally Posted by starbuk
I'm new to hotel cards - if there is a room that costs 50k points per the IHG website, but the view is not what I want, can I somehow use points + cash to upgrade the room or am I essentially stuck with the worst room when booking with points?
Don't assume you will receive the worst room in the house. I have had pretty good luck using points for rooms. That said, don't be reluctant to ask for a better room, if you find the accomodations unacceptable. In any case, you can always ask for a paid upgrade. Let the desk clerk tell you if miles will work, or if only cash will do. Be polite, of course, and be reasonable. You're not going to get the penthouse—unless you pay for it, of course.

RNE, refusing to stay at a hotel that would rent a room to a person like me.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:32 am

Data point: I canceled my card on 10/16 after the annual free night was posted to my IHG account. I held the card for about 3 years and paid the annual fee twice.
Just a few days after cancellation, I saw another 80,000 points, $1,000 spending in 3 months offer under "My Message" section on my IHG account page. I applied the card and got instant approval on 10/30. I will give an update once I get those 80,000 points.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by liaozhongchao
Data point: I canceled my card on 10/16 after the annual free night was posted to my IHG account. I held the card for about 3 years and paid the annual fee twice.
Just a few days after cancellation, I saw another 80,000 points, $1,000 spending in 3 months offer under "My Message" section on my IHG account page. I applied the card and got instant approval on 10/30. I will give an update once I get those 80,000 points.
Please do. I just ditched my IHG card that I paid AF for the 4 or 5 years. So both you and I qualify for another bonus. Though I want to wait a few more months as I want to get the BA card first (would be eligible by Dec) and I am up to the max Chase would give, so most likely no instant approval unless I reduce the lines on Inks. Never know there would be card offer under "My Message". Thanks for posting this.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Don't assume you will receive the worst room in the house. I have had pretty good luck using points for rooms. That said, don't be reluctant to ask for a better room, if you find the accomodations unacceptable. In any case, you can always ask for a paid upgrade. Let the desk clerk tell you if miles will work, or if only cash will do. Be polite, of course, and be reasonable. You're not going to get the penthouse—unless you pay for it, of course.

RNE, refusing to stay at a hotel that would rent a room to a person like me.
We booked an InDiGo one time using a groupon, and they still gave us the hotel suite because we were Platinum from the MC. Groupon is probably worse for them than booking with points, Lol, so you never know!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:22 pm

I wanted to wait a few months as well until I found this offer. It was like that IHG just wouldn't let me go. Two days after being approved, this offer under "My Message" was gone. Guess IHG and Chase communicate with each other really well.

Originally Posted by Happy
Please do. I just ditched my IHG card that I paid AF for the 4 or 5 years. So both you and I qualify for another bonus. Though I want to wait a few more months as I want to get the BA card first (would be eligible by Dec) and I am up to the max Chase would give, so most likely no instant approval unless I reduce the lines on Inks. Never know there would be card offer under "My Message". Thanks for posting this.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by liaozhongchao
I wanted to wait a few months as well until I found this offer. It was like that IHG just wouldn't let me go. Two days after being approved, this offer under "My Message" was gone. Guess IHG and Chase communicate with each other really well.
I saw that offer in my account too. It shows up in 2 places - the place you saw it as well as the bottom of My Offer Status as a banner ad. I need to resist it because I know I would not get an instant approval until I can figure out where I should reduce CL.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 12, 2015 at 9:53 am
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:51 am

Its been 10 days since Chase posted it points to my wife's IHG account the points are not showing up. I sent a email to IHG and they are saying they will process the points within 2 days and they are not seeing anything from there end. I sent a message to Chase and they are saying they sent the points, how do i resolve this issue ?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
[quote removed]

Are you serious? I don't think anyone is going to risk having their account shut down so you can participate in IHG's promo.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 13, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Its been 10 days since Chase posted it points to my wife's IHG account the points are not showing up. I sent a email to IHG and they are saying they will process the points within 2 days and they are not seeing anything from there end. I sent a message to Chase and they are saying they sent the points, how do i resolve this issue ?
Normally IHG does post points in 2 days when they got it from Chase.

You have to keep following up with both sides. Tell Chase IHG has not seen the points on their end.

Just make sure the correct IHG account number is attached to the Chase card.

Similar thing happens to my husband's Marriott biz card. Chase said it has sent the bonus on 11/03, but told to wait 7 biz days. Marriott rep said not to worry the pts there but to wait 3 biz days. That was on 11/10. pts still not in his Marriott account as of today 11/12. Reps at Marriott at least are US-based and the guy gave me his name and extension number because Marriott Reward customer service is NOT a toll free call!.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
[quote removed]

1. Any Mastercard in your name should work.
2. Bigger prizes require "Verification" - meaning that they will probably want a look at "Your" Mastercard and will deny you the prize if you don't have one.
3. I hope everyone on here is sensible enough not to give out part of their CC numbers!

Last edited by philemer; Nov 13, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Let's funnel all discussions of IHG contests here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...mbassador-426/
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:51 pm

I saw that offer in my account too. It shows up in 2 places - the place you saw it as well as the bottom of My Offer Status as a banner ad. I need to resist it because I know I would not get an instant approval until I can figure out where I should reduce CL.
I have the IHG card, so no message for me. My SO does not have the card, but only is offered 60K in the 'messages' offer
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
So IHG has the 80k landing page but when you try to apply, it brings you to the 60k offer page.

My friend applied anyways and spent the $1k and got 60k posted to IHG acct. Called up IHG/CHASE and asked why it was not 80k. CS rep sent a note to marketing if 80k offer was honorable. 1-2 weeks later friend receives letter from marketing approving the extra 20k which showed up on IHG account a few days later.

YMMV
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
So IHG has the 80k landing page but when you try to apply, it brings you to the 60k offer page.

My friend applied anyways and spent the $1k and got 60k posted to IHG acct. Called up IHG/CHASE and asked why it was not 80k. CS rep sent a note to marketing if 80k offer was honorable. 1-2 weeks later friend receives letter from marketing approving the extra 20k which showed up on IHG account a few days later.

YMMV
Was he clicked thru the banner ad saw inside his account, or the publicly viewable 80K offer landing page which we knew redirected to the 60K.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Was he clicked thru the banner ad saw inside his account, or the publicly viewable 80K offer landing page which we knew redirected to the 60K.
It was the publicly viewable 80k offer landing page that we knew redirected to the 60k
The thing was either apply for 60k or wait till whenever the 80k might come back (non-targeted/public) but I told him that waiting will cost you time in obtaining the free annual night (Which I value at 50K) [Sure you pay the $49 AF but well worth it as we all know]

But he called for that addtl 20k and gave it a shot and worked in his favor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.