Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: HH Gold
What a difference a week makes. I discovered the changes at Hilton and received this card in the mail. I've downgrade to the no fee Hilton amex and will now be using sapphire for my primary card. The addition of UA was a game changer.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Originally Posted by wco81
So is there a reason to keep both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase OnePass or MilesExplorer cards?

No forex on the Sapphire, same $95 annual fee. Only advantage of the OnePass or MilesExplorer would be the waived baggage fees?
There are more differences between Sapphire Preferred and MP Explorer (OP Plus).

MP Explorer has the following features that are not available on Sapphire Preferred:
1) A 10K annual booster after $25K spending;
2) Primary rental car collision coverage;
3) Two lounge (Red Carpet Club) day passes upon anniversary;
4) Domestic unlimited upgrades on awards tickets are available exclusively to elite members with MP Explorer cards;
5) Starting March 2012, United Anytime Awards will be available exclusively to MP card holders.
6) Priority boarding after elites and before general passengers;
7) Waived check bag fees for you plus two guests on the same reservation on United flights.

Of course, Sapphire Preferred has 2x bonus on travel and dining, 7% annual point bonus, and points can be transferred into miles/points other than United.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by leonard016
There are more differences between Sapphire Preferred and MP Explorer (OP Plus).

MP Explorer has the following features that are not available on Sapphire Preferred:
1) A 10K annual booster after $25K spending;
2) Primary rental car collision coverage;
3) Two lounge (Red Carpet Club) day passes upon anniversary;
4) Domestic unlimited upgrades on awards tickets are available exclusively to elite members with MP Explorer cards;
5) Starting March 2012, United Anytime Awards will be available exclusively to MP card holders.
6) Priority boarding after elites and before general passengers;
7) Waived check bag fees for you plus two guests on the same reservation on United flights.

Of course, Sapphire Preferred has 2x bonus on travel and dining, 7% annual point bonus, and points can be transferred into miles/points other than United.
Hmm, hard to believe Sapphire Preferred doesn't cover CDW? Or does "primary rental car collision coverage" mean something else?

Also, elites don't have check bag fees, right? And are there check bag fees on international flights even if you're not elite?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:32 pm

This is incorrect in at least two important respects:

1) Elites who don't have the card will, like cardholders, have last-seat access to std awards.

2) These awards will not be exclusive to elites or cardholders; general members will be able to book them, too. The difference for GMs will be capacity controls (i.e., no last-seat availability).

This is all spelled out at http://onepassmergerupdates.com/en/o...rogramOverview
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
Originally Posted by loganleelamson
I don't think this warrants another thread, but I was just curious if others have experience in regards to the Chase Freedom card & Sapphire Preferred and "First Spend" bonuses posting.

When I got my Sapphire Preferred I had my points adjusted to a targeted offer I received, so I don't have experience with how quickly points post.

I got targeted for 30K freedom points after first spend. on the back it says points could take from 6-8 weeks to post, but Starwood says 8-12 weeks and they post before the billing cycle closes.

Should I expect after the billing cycle closes or the full 6-8 weeks?
My 20,000 Freedom bonus posted the billing cycle I hit the spending threshold. Am still awaiting the Sapphire Bonus, which did not post in my last billing cycle, even though that is when i hit the spend threshold. If it does not post this billing cycle, I will call.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I just got a letter in the mail saying that my AAA Rewards Visa card is being cancelled, because the relationship between the CSAA and Chase Bank is ending So there goes my perpetual 5% rebates on gasoline as of November 30.

They're going to convert the account to a Chase Sapphire account. If I use Chase Sapphire points to purchase an airline ticket, does it count as a revenue (miles and EQM earning) flight? Or does it count as an award ticket through the airline's loyalty program (typically earns no miles)?

Oh, and what network is the Chase Sapphire a part of? Is it Visa, or Mastercard?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
I just got a letter in the mail saying that my AAA Rewards Visa card is being cancelled, because the relationship between the CSAA and Chase Bank is ending So there goes my perpetual 5% rebates on gasoline as of November 30.

They're going to convert the account to a Chase Sapphire account. If I use Chase Sapphire points to purchase an airline ticket, does it count as a revenue (miles and EQM earning) flight? Or does it count as an award ticket through the airline's loyalty program (typically earns no miles)?

Oh, and what network is the Chase Sapphire a part of? Is it Visa, or Mastercard?
There is both a Visa and a Mastercard version of the Sapphire Preferred. Using points will still earn you miles on your flight and EQM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:47 pm

Can anyone confirm that charges from Priceline will earn the Sapphire Preferred's 2x UR for travel?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Montacute
Can anyone confirm that charges from Priceline will earn the Sapphire Preferred's 2x UR for travel?
Yes and you'll get 1 extra point per dollar if you follow the link from the UR mall.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Hmm, hard to believe Sapphire Preferred doesn't cover CDW? Or does "primary rental car collision coverage" mean something else?
Most credit cards have rental car CDW, but they are secondary - your personal collision coverage kicks in first. Only a few cards provide Primary CDW and unfortunately Sapphire Preferred is not one of them.

Originally Posted by beltway
This is incorrect in at least two important respects:

1) Elites who don't have the card will, like cardholders, have last-seat access to std awards.

2) These awards will not be exclusive to elites or cardholders; general members will be able to book them, too. The difference for GMs will be capacity controls (i.e., no last-seat availability).
beltway, thanks for pointing this out. #1 is clear - my mistake. #2 is a bit confusing. It seems that the true Standard (Anytime) Awards which has no capacity control and blackout dates are exclusive to card members and elites. General members will get Standard Awards with possible reduction in availability. However the availability is still much better than Saver Awards with which only a certain number of seats are available. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
By comparison, Expedia terms:
Quote:
Customers will not be credited until trip has commenced.
So in other words when booking through UR with Expedia do you get 3 X the full ticket amount?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:38 pm

General members will get Standard Awards with possible reduction in availability. However the availability is still much better than Saver Awards with which only a certain number of seats are available. Am I understanding this correctly?
That seems like a fair assumption, although I don't know that we have any hard data to go by.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card issued in the US is a Visa Signature Card, it says so on the back. There is also a Mastercard version floating around.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by birdseye
The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card issued in the US is a Visa Signature Card, it says so on the back. There is also a Mastercard version floating around.
I applied last week and got the approval today. I called the Chase service rep and asked her whether the Sapphire Preferred is a Visa or a Mastercard and she informed me that the one I am getting is a Visa Signature. She did mention that it does come in Mastercard network. So I asked her what the guidelines are for them to determine which network to make the card in and she said she did not know enough to answer that question and wanted to transfer me to a different division. I said No Thank You and hung up because I wanted it in Visa Signature anyways... but now I'm getting curious. How do they determine whether to issue the card a Visa or Mastercard? Does it depend on where you're located? i.e. Like birdeye said maybe in the US they only issue it under Visa network and in S.America or some other country they offer it in the Mastercard network?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by kkamakasi
I applied last week and got the approval today. I called the Chase service rep and asked her whether the Sapphire Preferred is a Visa or a Mastercard and she informed me that the one I am getting is a Visa Signature. She did mention that it does come in Mastercard network. So I asked her what the guidelines are for them to determine which network to make the card in and she said she did not know enough to answer that question and wanted to transfer me to a different division. I said No Thank You and hung up because I wanted it in Visa Signature anyways... but now I'm getting curious. How do they determine whether to issue the card a Visa or Mastercard? Does it depend on where you're located? i.e. Like birdeye said maybe in the US they only issue it under Visa network and in S.America or some other country they offer it in the Mastercard network?
If you apply for the Visa you get the Visa and if you apply for the MasterCard you get the MC. It's that simple!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.