Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 12:41 am

Other than the calculator, did they publish the list of the cities for each category? Especially for long haul - Type 1 and 2?
Old May 25, 2018, 12:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by xuukgo
Other than the calculator, did they publish the list of the cities for each category? Especially for long haul - Type 1 and 2?
It's distance based
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29788449-post49.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29788320-post24.html

It's going to take some time for me to get my head around the new definition of turnaround point but for a 2-segment return routing (which is about 90% of my bookings), I believe it will simply be the longer of the two.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:53 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I haven't really digested this fully, but I think basically Type 2 is any city that is of the same distance, but is an American city:

There are two levels (Haul Long Type 1 & Haul Long Type 2) of mileage requirements for all long-haul awards (except the oneworld Multi-Carrier Award). Haul Long Type 1 applies when the mileage distance of either inbound or outbound itinerary falls between 5001 and 7500 miles and none of its origin, destination or turnaround points include a city in the Americas. If a city in the Americas is just acting as a transfer point or en-route stopover (not an origin, destination or turnaround point), Haul Long Type 1 still applies. Haul Long Type 2 applies when the mileage distance of either inbound or outbound itinerary falls between 5001 and 7500 miles and the origin, destination or turnaround point includes any city in the Americas.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
When I first read the marketing I thought Cathay is finally going to take care of their FFP flyers - i.e. offering status bonus miles. But I was wrong. It's revenue-based bonus miles and little at that. Since I bought mostly I fare anyway, I thought it's better than nothing. Then I look at the numbers, and the increase is horrible compare to the redemption devaluation. So basically they've screwed everyone by making it more expensive to redeem (except a few routes), and then token increase on higher fares. I guess it's a more clever way to screw loyal Cathay flyers this time rather than just shove it in our faces like the first round of FFP devalutions. Cathay is learning to cut but just not make it that obvious.

Made me regret my recent purchase of family trip from PEK to HKG to YVR to JFK to HKG to PVG all C class. Now all these miles flown will be worth much less than before. Should of used up my Asiamiles for full redemption before the devaluation.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: CX Gold
Yes, it's in the new award chart
basically
long haul - Type 1 Europe (or anywhere other than US/Canada)
long haul - Type 2 US/Canada
Old May 25, 2018, 1:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
It's revenue-based bonus miles and little at that.
Let's erase this myth - this is not revenue based earning. Revenue based earning is where your exact dollar spend will determine how many miles you get.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
I haven't really digested this fully, but I think basically Type 2 is any city that is of the same distance, but is an American city:
I interpret it like that too. Takes some unwiring in my brain as my brain has been hardwired to treat YVR/LAX as the same zone as LHR/CDG for so long.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by percysmith
I interpret it like that too. Takes some unwiring in my brain as my brain has been hardwired to treat YVR/LAX as the same zone as LHR/CDG for so long.
Type 2 is if itinerary involves anywhere in Americas except purely for transfer.
Originally Posted by Flight Awards Redemption – General Conditions
7. There are two levels (Haul Long Type 1 & Haul Long Type 2) of mileage requirements for all long-haul awards (except the oneworld Multi-Carrier Award). Haul Long Type 1 applies when the mileage distance of either inbound or outbound itinerary falls between 5001 and 7500 miles and none of its origin, destination or turnaround points include a city in the Americas. If a city in the Americas is just acting as a transfer point or en-route stopover (not an origin, destination or turnaround point), Haul Long Type 1 still applies. Haul Long Type 2 applies when the mileage distance of either inbound or outbound itinerary falls between 5001 and 7500 miles and the origin, destination or turnaround point includes any city in the Americas.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Made me regret my recent purchase of family trip from PEK to HKG to YVR to JFK to HKG to PVG all C class. Now all these miles flown will be worth much less than before. Should of used up my Asiamiles for full redemption before the devaluation.
Well exPEK/PVG to NA are quite cheap...plus PVG/PEK miles almost doubled....HKG-YVR also increased by 1000miles one way. JFK-HKG in C Class is now 1,676 miles more.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by watery
Type 2 is if itinerary involves anywhere in Americas except purely for transfer.
US and Canada west coast only. East coast is Ultra-Long

I've a teammate with YYZ family. He's hurting, now that YYZ is now grouped with JFK in Ultra-Long.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Not sure if the Type 2 concept applies to partner charts, but if so, routings like NRT-YVR-JFK or YVR-JFK-LHR will be Type 2 as well.
Isn't YYZ always in the zone of >7500 miles before and after?
Old May 25, 2018, 3:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by percysmith
US and Canada west coast only. East coast is Ultra-Long

I've a teammate with YYZ family. He's hurting, now that YYZ is now grouped with JFK in Ultra-Long.
Not sure if the Type 2 concept applies to partner charts, but if so, routings like NRT-YVR-JFK or YVR-JFK-LHR will be Type 2 as well.
Isn't YYZ always in the zone of >7500 miles before and after?
YYZ has always been in the max band, no need to feel hurt, unlike LAX people who get double-burned! (see my IG for those that follow me for some advanced thoughts )
As for partners, this chart is solely for CX and KA! We won't know until 6.22 for partners.

Yeah but again since this chart is just for CX KA, I can't really see an itinerary where a US (West Coast to be more precise?) city is only a transfer but not a destination/origin.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

I wonder what happens when the redemption is CX/KA + 1 partner? CX table if CX is MSC? Or CX table no matter what? Or another table?
Old May 25, 2018, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
although cx do things rather clumsily, i think those terms are written so that partners would fit in there too
just like a discounted earn rate for MPO club points, now you need more miles.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
The devaluation isn't as big as most feared, in fact there are some like KIX and SIN that are now "cheaper" to redeem in economy. However what concerns me more now that I need to pay 25K more miles for lets say MNL-HKG-JFK RT Business class which is now at 170K, while AS could get it for 100K miles....
It really depends on the availability at the time you want to book. Past few times I redeemed I could see seat availability on BA (OneWorld), and on MCP, but no seats released to AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.