Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Eagle2000
This thread is for specific A350 discussion.

For discussion regarding the A350-1000 please discuss here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1909549-a350-1000-general-discussion.html

Seating Guide
A350 Seating Guide

Routes to be serviced by A350:
Cathay Pacific full fleet and route guide (search for 35G for A350): Cathay Pacific Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Useful thread: New route speculation for Cathay

Already operating or confirmed (date of commencement)
Amsterdam
Auckland
Barcelona
Brisbane
Brussels
Capetown
Christchurch
Dublin
Frankfurt (March 31, 2019)
London Gatwick
Madrid
Manchester
Melbourne
Newark
Paris
Perth
Rome
San Francisco
Seattle (March 31, 2019)
Toronto (Su,W,F Oct 31 2019)
Tel Aviv
Vancouver
Washington DC
Zurich (March 31, 2019)
​​​​​​

Existing routes, speculated future equipment change to A350
Chicago
Milan
Los Angeles

Speculated future routes
Print Wikipost

A350 general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by kaffir76

... but the meals & service were no different than in Y.
My understanding this is the case for all short intra-asia flights... same food and service as economy. You only get the additional amenities and service on long flights.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Question what are the additional amenities and service?

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
My understanding this is the case for all short intra-asia flights... same food and service as economy. You only get the additional amenities and service on long flights.
Perhaps because SINBKK is only a 2 hour flight but it seemed like the cabin crew were trying to rush thru' meal service in PEY so that they could continue on to serve Y pax. But it was a full flight so I guess they had to rush.

Looking at the pics of the PEY meals for DUS-HKG in this blog , it seems like the only difference is the ceramic dish for one of the main courses while the 2nd meal seems like it's served in the plastic dish used in Y.

http://www.robisintheair.de/review-c...s-airbus-a350/

I guess I'll find out when I take the trip to EWR next spring.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Perhaps because SINBKK is only a 2 hour flight but it seemed like the cabin crew were trying to rush thru' meal service in PEY so that they could continue on to serve Y pax. But it was a full flight so I guess they had to rush.

Looking at the pics of the PEY meals for DUS-HKG in this blog , it seems like the only difference is the ceramic dish for one of the main courses while the 2nd meal seems like it's served in the plastic dish used in Y.

http://www.robisintheair.de/review-c...s-airbus-a350/

I guess I'll find out when I take the trip to EWR next spring.
PEY on long-haul routes definitely has a different menu than Y. The overall presentation is similar to Y and the FAs do the meal service for Y immediately after the PEY service.

If you're seated near the back of the PEY cabin, they will most likely run out of your first choice by the time they get to you (unless you choose an unpopular dish). However, they will allow you to pick an entree from Y instead. I've done this myself a few times.

Of the four recent long-haul PEY flights I've taken with CX, my favorite entree thus far was one I requested from Y (a veggie pasta dish) after they ran out of my first and second choices.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

For the main meal of the flight, PEY main courses are from the business class menu. You also get the extras such as drinks on boarding and amenity kits. The CX website has more information.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:42 am

First A350-1000 out of final assembly

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLcD9kVWsAAAEhn.jpg

Same J and Y+ seats, different seats for Y (HAECO Vector Y+ seat)
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by maortega15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLcD9kVWsAAAEhn.jpg

Same J and Y+ seats, different seats for Y (HAECO Vector Y+ seat)
Thanks! Do you know if the config is confirmed to be 50 30 250?

I sure hope there are 5 and not 4 crew for J class...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Thanks! Do you know if the config is confirmed to be 50 30 250?

I sure hope there are 5 and not 4 crew for J class...
Should be 50 30 254 since the Journey stated that the aircraft is going to have 334 seats in total.

May I know what is the registration for these A350-1041s?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by henryc41
Should be 50 30 254 since the Journey stated that the aircraft is going to have 334 seats in total.

May I know what is the registration for these A350-1041s?
The breakdown per cabin isn't known, people are just guessing 50/30 and working backwards to get to the Y count. It may be right or not. All we know is 334 total.

The registrations are B-LX series, first being B-LXA.
henryc41 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:53 pm

Any idea which routes the A350-1000 will fly?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: CX DM
Seems tobe:
Regional TPE/BKK/SIN
Long Haul LGW
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Aus106080
Cathay pacific apparently wants to try more long thin route.
UA also convert 35 A35K to 45 A359.
We’re seeing this also with the 787. It enabled BA to take a punt on routes it previously didnt have the right aircraft for (Austin, TX, for example), while the CX A359 schedule to MAN is now almost daily, giving travellers far more choice and flexibility for routes into the Far East.

I’m a big fan of the A380, but I think Boeing won the argument as far as the direction of air travel goes, hence we now have the 787 and A359.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Internaut
We’re seeing this also with the 787. It enabled BA to take a punt on routes it previously didnt have the right aircraft for (Austin, TX, for example), while the CX A359 schedule to MAN is now almost daily, giving travellers far more choice and flexibility for routes into the Far East.

I’m a big fan of the A380, but I think Boeing won the argument as far as the direction of air travel goes, hence we now have the 787 and A359.
The Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 are current winners, so is the 777 for higher capacity. But I am not sure that Boeing "won the argument". Their747-8 is no more a winner than the A380.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
The Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 are current winners, so is the 777 for higher capacity. But I am not sure that Boeing "won the argument". Their747-8 is no more a winner than the A380.
True, but development costs for the 747-8 were only $4-$5B USD, whereas the A380 cost $25-$30B USD to develop. Airbus may never recoup those costs at this rate.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by swingaling
Airbus may never recoup those costs at this rate.
....they won't recoup those costs.

Although, the B787 has also been a financial disaster to-date for Boeing, despite the plane's success. There stands a good chance that plane will also be unprofitable when all is said and done (break-even will be somewhere between 1200-1500 deliveries (!!!!), and really depends on what happens with the B787-10). The problem was massive over-promise by Boeing on tech that wasn't ready, and subsequently massive delays. Boeing management spent a decade doing a public victory lap for the B777 vs A380 win (and a win it was) - I've sat front row to some of these boasts / self-back patting in mid-2000s - but it quietly let Airbus go into crisis mode and develop a super plane in the A350. Airbus was humbled by the fateful decision of the A380 and to their credit, they developed a helluva platform in the A350, without all the bragging of Boeing - and huge financial hole Boeing dug for itself with the B787 - about winning the "twins vs quads" VLA argument. While Boeing was busy back-slapping themselves they really screwed up the beginning of the B787 program, and at the same time (perhaps not really discussed here, but quite real) essentially lost the narrowbody aircraft battle to Airbus. Airbus' A320neo and A321 platform have just crushed Boeing lately, with something like 2/3 of narrows order in favor of Airbus. This segment isn't necessarily talked about here because only KA has narrowbodies, but Boeing really blew it here. Tip my cap to Airbus.

Anyyway, keeping this ostensibly about the A350..the biggest different in the A350 vs B787 is going to profitability. The former is going to be a financial home-run. The latter is going to be lucky to break even, despite both planes' operating success. And our beloved CX is damn lucky to have the delivery slots they do for the A359.

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 8, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
True, but development costs for the 747-8 were only $4-$5B USD, whereas the A380 cost $25-$30B USD to develop. Airbus may never recoup those costs at this rate.
You are quite right.
The age of the four-reactors ac seems gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.