Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

A Fix for the New "Elevated" Award Booking Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Fix for the New "Elevated" Award Booking Engine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:01 pm

Excellent. You are a life saver! Coffee on the way!
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Amazing stuff!! So helpful, especially the batch search
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Didn’t work on my iOS devices, but worked famously on my Android Nightly+Tampermonkey. Four drinks on its way:

Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:39 am

I think CX IT is doing something to spike the supercharge search mode:

Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: AM
Wow this batch search function is a game changer!
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:52 am

OK, got my home Chrome to work; which leads me to suspect, CX is doing some sort of quota on how much each device can search in a period of time.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:48 am

[OK, this one may be user (my) error. Search once using the Unelevated search first, and then use the batch search. Seems to fix the nil return problem.]

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 29, 2022 at 4:26 pm
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:05 pm

Has anyone been successful in getting a connecting itinerary to ticket using this tool? Got as far as inputting passenger details for my trip but since when using the site's own multicity tool the same itinerary errored out with some sort of Y inventory error I was worried I'd be out my points and not actually ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jaytw
Yeah, I’ve noticed the same. It seems in some instances the flights will be available to book separately segment by segment, but not as a single one-way. The system will throw an error saying "Redemption Class Y not valid on this flight" or something to that effect. It did not start with the new search engine though, I think I ran into this as far back as May. The agent sees the same on their end, availability only available separately. The same routing was available to book on some other dates as a transfer, so it does not look like a blanket award routing rule thing. Also, FWIW, it’s not restricted to the CX search engine either, as availability for the same flight would not show up as a transfer in BA either, only segment by segment. It's perplexing because back in the day, it was usually the other way around, where transfer routing was available, but booking separately was not.

I did not HUCA, and just bit the bullet and booked separately, so I can't speak as to whether a different agent may have helped.

For data point purposes, my particular case was a TSA-HND and HND-LHR flight all on JL with a 17 hour overnight connection.
This sounds like CX is now using married segment logic for award inventory availability.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:47 pm

What was weird with my booking is that the UnElevated tool was able to get the segments to go together but I got the "Redemption Class Y" error when doing the multi-city. Makes me worry that the bookings won't actually work in the end when using the tool. For reference I was doing LAX-LHR-BUD next summer.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by percysmith
[Search once using the Unelevated search first, and then use the batch search. Seems to fix the nil return problem.]
Ah, yes. I should make that more clear, or see if I can disable the batch button when the search was triggered by the website’s own search. The reason for this limitation is that the site uses the "flexible dates" search flag by default, and the unelevated one searches with it turned off. Since the unelevated search relies on checksums that the actual CX engine leaves on the page, a batch search using the altered parameters will not match the checksums and will fail.

Originally Posted by Spacetek13
Has anyone been successful in getting a connecting itinerary to ticket using this tool? Got as far as inputting passenger details for my trip but since when using the site's own multicity tool the same itinerary errored out with some sort of Y inventory error I was worried I'd be out my points and not actually ticket.
If you can get to that page, it is unlikely there will be a problem.

To be frank, I’d be more surprised to see the multi-city tool not erroring out on most itineraries.

Originally Posted by Spacetek13
What was weird with my booking is that the UnElevated tool was able to get the segments to go together but I got the "Redemption Class Y" error when doing the multi-city. Makes me worry that the bookings won't actually work in the end when using the tool. For reference I was doing LAX-LHR-BUD next summer.
I have no certain answer for this, but my hypothesis is that it could be related to the way the segments are coded when using the multi-city tools. Keep in mind that the multicity is a leftover from the era when we could book actual stopovers using the tool. My guess is that they are still coded as a stopover and not a transfer, and some arcane ticketing rule is blocking those itineraries from being ticketed as stopovers.
percysmith and 36902BRF like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
By the way, I’ve released a tiny update to 2.1.2

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/44...rch-fixer-2022

This fixes a reported issue where the available seats for itineraries with stopovers would show the number of available seats on the segment that had more seats, rather than the one that had less.

Some poor dude saw J7 on a flight and was ecstatic that he could take his entire family on cross pacific business, only for it to disappear when he changed the search to 4 travelers. We don’t need disappointment like that!
ernestnywang and 36902BRF like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:25 am

Amazing tool, however when calling customer service to book, they do not see the availability. Tried 2 reps who spent a lot of time on several itineraries showing as available via this fix but they could never see them. It is for a ticket change and I must call. Has anyone been able to actually book online? I am worried about canceling to find myself unable to finalize the booking online if the call center can't see those tickets.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: AM
Originally Posted by st3rv
Amazing tool, however when calling customer service to book, they do not see the availability. Tried 2 reps who spent a lot of time on several itineraries showing as available via this fix but they could never see them. It is for a ticket change and I must call. Has anyone been able to actually book online? I am worried about canceling to find myself unable to finalize the booking online if the call center can't see those tickets.
I suppose you may try using a different browser and searching CX's website through the native method without using this tool?
If the availability for the same route, date, and class still appears, then it is probably a typical CX style call center issue... Good luck!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st3rv
Hey st3rv, can you give me some more details regarding your itinerary?
My assumption is that you are trying to change one leg of a multi-segment itinerary, and you can see availability for that one leg, but CX call centre can't see said same flight availability?
If that is the case, are you able to see the entire itinerary you want to change to change to using the new tool? Or only the leg you want to change?
e.g. If your original ticketed itinerary was SYD-HKG-LHR and you want to change the HKG-LHR leg, does the entire SYD-HKG-LHR as a transfer flight show as available? or just the HKG-LHR leg?

If you cannot see the entire SYD-HKG-LHR itinerary together as available (by searching SYD-LHR), but only the one leg separately, I would advise you not to cancel, because it is likely that you won't be able to rebook it as a transfer. If you can see it, then I would book it first before cancelling the old one, since you indicate you are OK with canceling, and your main concern is not being able to rebook.

I've run into a lot of issues myself ticketing multi-segment itineraries myself. For example, I have a pair of TSA-HND and HND-LHR tickets that were available to book separately, with a layover time well within the current 24 hour rules, but when I wanted to book them together as a transfer, the call centre said they could not see availability. The TPE-HND-LHR flight would have cost exactly the same as a HND-LHR, so that was a bummer.

I'm getting a lot of reports from testers that the same thing is happening a lot with oneworld multicarrier awards, i.e. the flights are all available to book separately, but not as transfers or as part of a larger itinerary. As tonyatflyertalk001 mentioned, if the same flight also shows up in the native CX engine as a one-way, it is a call centre issue, or more likely a ticketing rule issue. It looks like some sort of reverse married segment control, a divorced segment control, if you will, lmao. Can anyone who can see these backend details on amadeus find any clues as to what’s going on?

Last edited by jaytw; Aug 30, 2022 at 7:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.