Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

A Fix for the New "Elevated" Award Booking Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Fix for the New "Elevated" Award Booking Engine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Passenger details entered, and the 140,000 Asia Miles and taxes were calculated for the two seats. Then, the next step was supposed to be "seat selection", but the error message popped up at that point.
So I've had time to take a look at the code again, and it turns out the API actually returns bookable=true for those flights as well. In fact, there is no difference in the response between those flights and the actually bookable T+353 flights, so I have no way of telling them apart in the code. I don't think there's anything I can do on the script end short of just hardcoding it to ignore flights after 353 days, but on the other hand, it seems it might be handy to be able to see in advance seats that might open up in the next week. I'll probably add a message somewhere to alert the user that those flights may not be bookable yet.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jaytw
So I've had time to take a look at the code again, and it turns out the API actually returns bookable=true for those flights as well. In fact, there is no difference in the response between those flights and the actually bookable T+353 flights, so I have no way of telling them apart in the code. I don't think there's anything I can do on the script end short of just hardcoding it to ignore flights after 353 days, but on the other hand, it seems it might be handy to be able to see in advance seats that might open up in the next week. I'll probably add a message somewhere to alert the user that those flights may not be bookable yet.
Definitely a useful feature to view in advance seats that may open up in the next few days, even if they are not yet available for booking.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:17 am

Experiencing Error: "Unable to confirm Fare for this Itinerary" and then "try a different search"

I may have made a mistake transferring points to Asia Miles...

Found availability for CGK > DOH > PHL, got past the calculated taxes/fees, but hitting error after passenger details...

EDIT: Just tried BKK > DOH > JFK, also showing availability. Same error...

help :[
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by Evan Bost
Experiencing Error: "Unable to confirm Fare for this Itinerary" and then "try a different search"

I may have made a mistake transferring points to Asia Miles...

Found availability for CGK > DOH > PHL, got past the calculated taxes/fees, but hitting error after passenger details...

EDIT: Just tried BKK > DOH > JFK, also showing availability. Same error...

help :[
What are the dates for your flight? Are they more than 353 days from now?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:21 am

Sorry - forgot to state:
Looking for a return from SE Asia
4/22, 4/23, 4/24

4/23 is the date showing availability via Qatar, CGK > DOH > PHL
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Sorry - forgot to state:
Looking for a return from SE Asia
4/22, 4/23, 4/24

4/23 is the date showing availability via Qatar, CGK > DOH > PHL
I just tested those dates for CGK>DOH>PHL on economy, and was able to get past the passenger entry, but failed on business.

There seems to be something very peculiar happening with results for QR business awards on Cathay’s engine when it switches to "Flexible with Travel Dates”. For example, searching for business awards on CGK > DOH and DOH > PHL separately for 2023-04-17 on the native engine (i.e. without using the script), it will show an alert that "Fare search by ‘Flexible with travel dates’ is not available for your chosen itinerary” and that it will redirect you to search with "Must travel on these dates". It then shows business award availability for QR which also errors out past the passenger detail entry.

I tried looking for dates where both QR and other airlines are available in business, to see if it’s a QR issue or a general flexible date issue, and was able to find an example with LHR-HND on 2023-05-10, which shows business availability for both JL and QR. The JL flight breezes past the passenger entry, while the QR one gets stuck on invalid fare as well.

I’ve heard unsubstantiated rumours of QR no longer releasing business award space to CX starting next year. If that’s what’s happening here, it looks like CX may be restricting business award booking for QR, and yet somehow the actual available award space is still leaking into the results. My speculative assumption is that IT attempted to hide availability from the results, but half assed it and forgot to remove it from the "must travel on these dates" part. Considering the page that redirects to the “must travel on” redirect loads unstyled half of the time, I wouldn’t be all that surprised if they simply just forgot it exists.

Evan, I think you might have to call in to check on this one.

Has anyone succeeded in booking any QR business awards lately?
tonyatflyertalk001 likes this.

Last edited by jaytw; Sep 8, 2022 at 6:03 pm
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Btw, here is the QR rumour I mentioned:

Google Translation:

Attention everyone, based on more than four hours of ineffective and absurd telephone communication this week, Qatar Airways will not release seats above business class to Cathay (previously Asia Miles) starting January next year. Why will they not release it? I don’t know, because Cathay Pacific insisted that their partnership with Qatar is still there, and asked me to ask Qatar myself why they won’t give them business class.

"Our partnership has not changed because it is possible to redeem for economy class."

"I'm not talking to you about economy class. If we can only redeem economy class, how can you say the partnership has not changed? "

"That's your inference, we haven't been instructed of a change."

"You can also switch to Cathay Pacific flights."

"Are you sure you will to fly? Are there even any seats to redeem? Taipei and Hong Kong is flying and yet there are literally no seats to redeem.”

"Well, you can still buy it with cash."

Well, the above is for your reference.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I tried looking for dates where both QR and other airlines are available in business, to see if it’s a QR issue or a general flexible date issue, and was able to find an example with LHR-HND on 2023-05-10, which shows business availability for both JL and QR. The JL flight breezes past the passenger entry, while the QR one gets stuck on invalid fare as well.
BAEC and QF FF can't see it either.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:22 am

Thank you both for looking into it.
At this point, I'm just hoping I can find any useful redemption for a long leg of biz class using the 180k Asia Miles I transferred. Might have to settle for HKG to mainland US, and book a separate itinerary to get from BKK to HKG. But even searching HKG to the US I'm not seeing award space for those dates, 4/22-4/24
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:33 am

Thanks for following up and checking. I would NOT ignore the flights 353+ days out. That info is still helpful for advanced planning.

For example, today, I was able to use your tool to search for YVR-NRT on JL departing 01 Sep 2023. That date is 357 days out. I saw two J seats available, and tried to book it, and it worked! Got two CX 160- e-tickets (JL metal) emailed to me already.

So, apparently, in this example, JL offers bookable flights for redemption earlier than CX does!
jaytw likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for looking into it.
At this point, I'm just hoping I can find any useful redemption for a long leg of biz class using the 180k Asia Miles I transferred. Might have to settle for HKG to mainland US, and book a separate itinerary to get from BKK to HKG. But even searching HKG to the US I'm not seeing award space for those dates, 4/22-4/24
Since you mention 180K miles, I'm assuming you're booking for two?
I'm seeing J1 for Royal Jordanian BKK-AMM-JFK on 4/23 as well as BKK-AMM-ORD. Since BKK-AMM shows J2, you should hypothetically be able to book both, that is, if you don't mind traveling traveling separately for the second half of the trip and somehow reuniting after JFK/ORD. I tested the booking process and can confirm it does go past the passenger detail entry.

In the same vein, there is also the option for BKK-AMM-ORD + BKK-AMM-YYZ on 4/24.

Alternatively, if you can travel just one day later on 4/25, I'm seeing J2 for BKK-HKG-JFK on CX.

By the way, while doing these searches, I realised there was a regression in the code that went back to showing the larger number of seats between the two flights instead of the lower one. It has been fixed in 2.3.3
ricktassie likes this.

Last edited by jaytw; Sep 9, 2022 at 12:33 pm
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:25 pm
cgo

Thanks for this unelevated version!!! The new system is extremely frustrating.

I have a question for you though. I have been wanting to do a 'multicarrier award ticket' redemption, 4 segments in total. Each individual segment is showing as 'available' in the elevated + unelevated search engine. But when I contacted the call centre to book, they say that all the flights I have requested are not available for redemption.

The reason why I wanted to use the call centre to book is to save on the miles. The multicarrier award cost 165k miles, vs booking each flight per segment will cost more than that.

I have request the agent to repeatedly check and they said their amadeus system is real time.

Is this a normal experience? Or this is just a crappy bug that CX hasnt fixed?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:34 pm
cgo

You are a life saver, quite literally.

Now i wanted to ask if you have a multi-city version for this?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR

Has anyone succeeded in booking any QR business awards lately?
Tried multiple routes for multiple dates next year, it won't continue after passenger info entry.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:46 am
cgo

I can confirm that you will receive an error message after you enter passenger information. You cannot proceed with the booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.