Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by thinklad
Are there any recent experiences of arrivals into HKIA (ideally from Mainland, with Return2HK) and how long to budget from landing to exiting the airport these days, with the 'test and hold' arrangement?
I seem to recall people were saying 3-5 hours earlier this year; I'm wondering if the segregation of mainland arrivals from overseas arrivals (since 18 November) had any material impact on that.
I have no experience from Mainland, but extensive surveys of waiting time for other arrival.
The main waiting if for the test results. This typically takes 2 hours (mine was 1.5h). They process all pax of a single flight more or less together to see if anyone on your flight is positive and you sat nearby.
Unless you are missing some documents, the paperwork is usually fast, even for non-China arrivals. Lots of staff. And the bags will be waiting for you.
I would budget a total of 3 hours.
thinklad likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Are there any recent experiences of arrivals into HKIA (ideally from Mainland, with Return2HK) and how long to budget from landing to exiting the airport these days, with the 'test and hold' arrangement?
I seem to recall people were saying 3-5 hours earlier this year; I'm wondering if the segregation of mainland arrivals from overseas arrivals (since 18 November) had any material impact on that.
There's no difference between Mainland and overseas as all samples are sent to the same lab. Results can take 1-4 hours, possibly more if there's special conditions like a typhoon.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realgaga
There's no difference between Mainland and overseas as all samples are sent to the same lab. Results can take 1-4 hours, possibly more if there's special conditions like a typhoon.
Prenetics has experienced technical problems a couple of times. And typhoons are out of seasons now.
Anything can happen In terms of planning, including exceptional event.
For budgeting, one usually tries to forecast the "expected" time, plus possibly a small risk premium.

I have followed the FB Quarantine groups for a couple of months, sharing hundreds of experience. If it were me, I would not budget more than 3 hours from plane to kerb.The lab busiest time is early morning with all the longhaul arrivals. But midday is quite calm.
The whole process is extremely efficient.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE)
Originally Posted by brunos
Prenetics has experienced technical problems a couple of times. And typhoons are out of seasons now.
Anything can happen In terms of planning, including exceptional event.
For budgeting, one usually tries to forecast the "expected" time, plus possibly a small risk premium.

I have followed the FB Quarantine groups for a couple of months, sharing hundreds of experience. If it were me, I would not budget more than 3 hours from plane to kerb.The lab busiest time is early morning with all the longhaul arrivals. But midday is quite calm.
The whole process is extremely efficient.
Thanks, that is helpful!
I suppose the other unknown at the moment is those 'checkpoint drills' they mentioned today in SCMP (although only next week, and not so much from HKIA as the gradual reopening should be from Guangdong): https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ctions-conduct
I'll report here if I see anything worth mentioning (as I'm going there tomorrow to pick up my partner).
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that is helpful!
I suppose the other unknown at the moment is those 'checkpoint drills' they mentioned today in SCMP (although only next week, and not so much from HKIA as the gradual reopening should be from Guangdong): https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ctions-conduct
I'll report here if I see anything worth mentioning (as I'm going there tomorrow to pick up my partner).
Indeed, I thought that you asked the question for pick up at HKIA.
Then I would substract the risk premium and get there 2.5 hours after arrival. Don't want to keep your partner waiting, do you?
I hope that I will not have you stranded at the airport for hours.
thinklad likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE)
I'll report here if I see anything worth mentioning
After a touch down at 14:45, specimen collected at 15:20, hold at Northern Satellite Concourse (not sure if that one is for Mainland arrivals only for now or not), released at 17:30, and in arrival hall a couple of minutes before 18:00. All in all, a little over 3 hours.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:46 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
I returned fro Shanghai in mid Nov vide CX381 (before the segregation, that is). Landed at HKG at around 21:30, got the result at 00:30, and left the airport at 01:16.
thinklad likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Australia, Canada, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Denmark, Italy and Belgium all get bumped up to Group A (no entry for non-residents, residents get 21 days hotel quarantine)

【最新】政府周四起將澳洲、加拿大及德國等九個地區納入A組指明地區,21日內曾逼留當地的非香港居民不准 入境,而香港居民抵港後須在酒店隔離21日
https://news.now.com/urgentnews.jsp?...36&refer=Share
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:08 pm

And HKG just added even more countries to the A list due to some imported omicron cases.

wonder if HKG will add China to the A list if China detected some Omicron imported cases ?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
And HKG just added even more countries to the A list due to some imported omicron cases.

wonder if HKG will add China to the A list if China detected some Omicron imported cases ?
That’s politically incorrect, and politics is paramount now.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Is there a list of lab partners acceptable to CX in US?

CVS PCR test wasn't good enough. Seems like CX is looking for

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html
  • Separate documentary proof (in English or Chinese) to show that the laboratory or healthcare institution is ISO 15189 accredited or is recognised or approved by the relevant authority of the government of the place in which the laboratory or healthcare institution is located. This can be in the form of a copy of ‘Certificate of Accreditation’, ‘Certificate of Compliance’, or information printed out from an official government website. Please note that documentary proof is required even if the test report from the laboratory or healthcare institution contains an ISO accreditation reference.
Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:12 am

Quarantine hotels booked out to Feb https://hk.news.yahoo.com/%E5%A4%A7%...120936418.html
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
Is there a list of lab partners acceptable to CX in US?

CVS PCR test wasn't good enough. Seems like CX is looking for

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html

Thanks.
I suggest that you join this FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2788738214495345/
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-to-normality

(or, for those who like to get the news from the horse’s mouth https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Odam0gkEZ-NnH91cSu86XA )
China's top health expert identified two
conditions for the country to return
to "normality," and maintained that
authorities should stick to their Covid
Zero policy in battling the omicron
variant.

Prerequisites for getting back to normal
include fatalities from Covid-19 needing
to fall to a rate of 0.1% -- similar to
influenza's - said Zhong Nanshan, who
heads China's Covid task force, according
to the state-backed Global Times. That's
still a far-off target, as the global death
rate stands at over 1.9%.

The virus's reproduction rate --a
measure of how many people one patient
can transmit the virus to - also needs
to remain within a range of 1 to 1.5,
according to Zhong.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:31 pm

Good that we’re getting a move on on dining vaccine mandates

But probably Govt will create a huge carve out like they still created carve outs for under-15s/over-65s with LeaveHomeSafe last night:

???? i-CABLE - 15?????????????????????????????????????

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-fear-revenues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.