Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:23 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by apsrinomecker
I think the correct answer is book 14 (as you are vaccinated), then pray you get the antibody so it become 7. Carrie Lam said she will work with hotels so that refund will be made
From a hotel POV this must be troubling (or a onerous obligation Govt is forcing them to shoulder). What % of the 14 day guests can they safely assume will pass the antibody test?

This will be like airline overbooking, except, they really don’t have the option to actually bump passengers (to where?)?

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 23, 2021 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:32 pm

Yes - and these hotels cannot take non-quarantine guests. I don't know how it is going to work in practice.

Though no one will book 21 days and then become 7, as high risk countries are not included and all are vaccinated?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by percysmith
From a hotel POV this must be troubling (or a onerous obligation Govt is forcing them to shoulder). What % of the 14/21 day guests can they safely assume will pass the antibody test?

This will be like airline overbooking, except, they really don’t have the option to actually bump passengers (to where?)?
The hotels can choose not to participate or ask money for trouble.

The government can raise price and whoever travels can choose to pay the price or not to travel.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
The government can raise price and whoever travels can choose to pay the price or not to travel.
If this still means 14 days confirmed booking for phase 2 (overseas) travellers, that reduces the benefit of the concession.

So it’s like phase 2 travellers are still sentenced to 14 days’ quarantine, but there is a opportunity for early parole in exchange for a blood draw.

(Phase 1 (ex-HK) travellers will have their certificates in hand prior to leaving HK so on return they are pre-qualified for 7 days - unless they test positive for infection on arrival in which case they go to hospital anyway)

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 23, 2021 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:08 am

If this still means 14/21 days confirmed booking for phase 2 (overseas) travellers, that reduces the benefit of the concession.

So it’s like phase 2 travellers are still sentenced to 14/21 days’ quarantine, but there is a opportunity for early parole in exchange for a blood draw.

(Phase 1 (ex-HK) travellers will have their certificates in hand prior to leaving HK so on return they are pre-qualified for 7 days - unless they test positive for infection on arrival in which case they go to hospital anyway)
When there isn't a price set, the market will adapt to discover the price eventually. Capitalism works really well in this kind of situation.

After all, there are always the choices of not going to HK. Everyone involved need weigh their own choice.
sbs2716g likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
When there isn't a price set, the market will adapt to discover the price eventually. Capitalism works really well in this kind of situation.

After all, there are always the choices of not going to HK. Everyone involved need weigh their own choice.
I call this "falsely blaming a free market".
It is akin to Australian government diverting attention for tight arrival caps to the airlines - the airlines did what were set up by the Australian government to do and auctioned the seats correctly, but it is really the Australian government creating the shortage.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:53 am

I call this "falsely blaming a free market".
It is akin to Australian government diverting attention for tight arrival caps to the airlines - the airlines did what were set up by the Australian government to do and auctioned the seats correctly, but it is really the Australian government creating the shortage.
quota does not mean free market does not work. After all, the supply and demand is not unconstrained within any period of time.

price discovery continues to work with quota system.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And now “experts” are advocating putting the UK on the 21 day list. It’s going to be terrible if you leave HK with a 7 day booking and then they put the UK on the 21 day list while you’re away.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by sxc
It’s going to be terrible if you leave HK with a 7 day booking and then they put the UK on the 21 day list while you’re away.
No such concern anymore, UK just got slapped with 21 days. And I was smirking at my CFO’s upcoming blood draw.

【最新】政府宣布下周一起,將英國調升為甚高風險級別,入境人士不論有否接種疫苗,須於檢疫酒店隔離21天 及自行監察7日,期間須接受多次檢測
https://news.now.com/urgentnews.jsp?...79&refer=Share
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
No such concern anymore, UK just got slapped with 21 days. And I was smirking at my CFO’s upcoming blood draw.

【最新】政府宣布下周一起,將英國調升為甚高風險級別,入境人士不論有否接種疫苗,須於檢疫酒店隔離21天 及自行監察7日,期間須接受多次檢測
https://news.now.com/urgentnews.jsp?...79&refer=Share
Indeed 21 days for UK from 28 June.
And from 26 June all pax from A&B countries will need to take a PCR test, not the other nucleid acid test such as LAMP. That is another bad news for UK pax.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
UK got upgraded on the list due to the number of +ve arrivals over the last two days. This triggered the automatic upgrade as announced in May
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:43 pm

the list of labs providing antibodies tests before residents of Hong Kong making a trip overseas is out -

P2021062600414_370630_1_1624681922192.pdf

I saw labs charging around HK$1k for the test
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
the list of labs providing antibodies tests before residents of Hong Kong making a trip overseas is out -

Is there a link to an info page explaining this?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Is there a link to an info page explaining this?
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1062600414.htm
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

The branded hospitals are changing close to that with consultation.

CH lab is $300 in Jordan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.