Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China

Given the latest HK Government announcement on strict quarantine restrictions for inbound travellers from Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines and South Africa started 25/7 with Kazakhstan and the US from 29/7 I think it is a good idea to create a discussion thread to keep up to date with changes for travellers visiting the Fragrant Harbour.

The announcement can be found at www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/high-risk-places.html.

I am curious to know whether the 14 day hotel stay applies to just visitors or includes HK residents as well, as it states ‘travellers’. My personal reading is this means everyone.

Stay safe!

Nicc
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Just to add the reason the Philippines is on the list is apparently because of the number of passengers arriving from Manila on several flights having the virus
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Your post mix a few things.

First, no visitors have been allowed into Hong Kong for months. Just returning residents and a few exceptions. A major exception are travellers from mainland China, Taiwan and Macao who have not been to another country in the past 14 days.

Every returning resident is tested at the airport, wait for results and then quarantined either at home, hotel or dedicated center. That has been in place for several months.

Residents returning from high-risk countries, such as India, Pakistan, . have been sent to dedicated quarantine centers for the past month.

Three rather recent news are:
1) United States and Kazakhstan have been added to the list of high-risk countries a week ago.

2) Every returning resident from the high-risk country list must provide a certificate of a negative test in the 72 hours preceding the flight. Given the need for Government authentication, that will be difficult to get in several countries.

3) Returning residents from high-risk countries have to quarantined in a hotel. That is tough for Americans, but sweet (if expensive) for others who used to be sent to not-so-nice dedicated centers One reason is that those dedicated centers are needed for locals given the third covid wave in HK.

Last edited by brunos; Jul 30, 2020 at 11:15 am Reason: I removed a sentence as Convinced by other posters
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:33 am

There are several reports that everyone headed to HK on the CX flight from JFK this week -- over a 100 people -- were denied boarding because their health documents were not in order. The requirement for some sort of government document certifying the authority of the lab which took the test is not practically available in the U.S. Nor are lab results with your passport number printed on them.

All the Government/CX will tell you are the required documents. The don't tell HOW to get them, which is the critical problem.

So reports in this thread from travellers who know first-hand what works and what doesn't work and where to get the paperwork done would be very valuable.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by 889
There are several reports that everyone headed to HK on the CX flight from JFK this week -- over a 100 people -- were denied boarding because their health documents were not in order. The requirement for some sort of government document certifying the authority of the lab which took the test is not practically available in the U.S. Nor are lab results with your passport number printed on them.

All the Government/CX will tell you are the required documents. The don't tell HOW to get them, which is the critical problem.

So reports in this thread from travellers who know first-hand what works and what doesn't work and where to get the paperwork done would be very valuable.
I also saw reports that everyone (or practically everyone) on this morning's flight from LAX were denied boarding due to insufficient paperwork.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:55 am

As well, officials in Hong Kong are accustomed to seeing chops on paperwork, and American labs and government offices don't usually have seals and ink at hand.

And look at how this has affected arrivals. A week ago on July 22, before any of these new rules took effect, there were 1,570 arrivals at the airport. Yesterday, July 29, there were just 356.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:57 am

There is a recent news report of a Fedex pilot seen on the Peak Tram boasting his test results are pending. But shouldn't the inbound person be waiting at the airport hotel or test centre for the results being let out?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24U03S
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
As well, officials in Hong Kong are accustomed to seeing chops on paperwork, and American labs and government offices don't usually have seals and ink at hand.

And look at how this has affected arrivals. A week ago on July 22, before any of these new rules took effect, there were 1,570 arrivals at the airport. Yesterday, July 29, there were just 356.
But, the wait for test result at AWE is now back down to single-digit hours.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:12 pm

That's what I suggested on the other thread: that the point is actually to reduce airport arrivals and free up testing capacity for those sick in the city.

I believe the pilot seen at the Peak was travelling before the new rules on crew quarantine during layovers came into effect. Before, there apparently were some airline promises that crew not under quarantine would nonetheless restrict their activities, but legally crew were free to wander the city.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Hyatt
Originally Posted by 889
There are several reports that everyone headed to HK on the CX flight from JFK this week -- over a 100 people -- were denied boarding because their health documents were not in order.
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I also saw reports that everyone (or practically everyone) on this morning's flight from LAX were denied boarding due to insufficient paperwork.

Can you please link the source?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I am curious to know whether the 14 day hotel stay applies to just visitors or includes HK residents as well, as it states ‘travellers’. My personal reading is this means everyone.
My phone conversation with the hotline confirms this applies to everyone.

What I am puzzled is why a Hong Kong resident can't return to his/her home for quarantine.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
My phone conversation with the hotline confirms this applies to everyone.

What I am puzzled is why a Hong Kong resident can't return to his/her home for quarantine.
His/her family members are the loopholes of home quarantine.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by tentseller
But, the wait for test result at AWE is now back down to single-digit hours.
I can only speak with my own experience as I caught the last flight from LAX which didn't need the covid test result for boarding. I arrived at HKG on 28th July morning on CX881. Waited at AWE for 12 hours for the test result after I provided saliva sample. So it took a total of 14 hours from landing to leaving the AWE for home quarantine. Single digit hour wait it was not for sure.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Reply1984
The solution would be for the whole family to isolate then. If they don't like it then quarantine elsewhere
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Home quarantine is allowed other than those from high risks. So it is not really a loophole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.