Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Old Jul 22, 21, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
Some experts have called for HKG to ban fights from a particular country/carrier for 2 weeks if they carry 3 infected cases with VOC within 7 days.

Not sure what is the current criteria
I believe the current threshold is 5, and USA is very close to that at the moment.
Old Jul 22, 21, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by patrickw View Post
I believe the current threshold is 5, and USA is very close to that at the moment.
Not quite. There were 4 airlines serving the USA-HKG market. As of this moment, 3 of them - AA, SQ, and UA have suspended its HKG passenger service. The only operating airline is CX. And the recent infected was on AC.
Old Jul 22, 21, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
So, what's the latest on pax departing from the US to HKG? What's the covid protocol? Can I take a covid test at a local CVS 72 hours before departure and hand over the -ve test results to the check-in agent and call it a day? I am so confused with all the constant changes. TIA guys!
Old Jul 22, 21, 11:28 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by NJFlyer_HOHO View Post
So, what's the latest on pax departing from the US to HKG? What's the covid protocol? Can I take a covid test at a local CVS 72 hours before departure and hand over the -ve test results to the check-in agent and call it a day? I am so confused with all the constant changes. TIA guys!
Read the government website https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html
etkuo likes this.
Old Jul 22, 21, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Can I take a covid test at a local CVS 72 hours before departure and hand over the -ve test results to the check-in agent and call it a day?
No. You will need either 14 or 21 days of hotel quarantine as well.

In short - don't bother if you have no HKID or a long-term visa.
Old Jul 22, 21, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
I have HKID and a flat. So, I am all set for the post-arrival quarantine.

I just am not sure where I should do my PCR covid test. Unless I missed it on the website, it infers that I could just go to a local clinic (not designated by HK gov) to do the test. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 22, 21, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need a designated hotel for the quarantine. That's not by choice.

I just am not sure where I should do my PCR covid test. Unless I missed it on the website, it infers that I could just go to a local clinic (not designated by HK gov) to do the test. Am I missing something?
Who cares? You just simply need a report complying all the requirements.
Old Jul 22, 21, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.

The lab needs CLIA certification.
Old Jul 23, 21, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
The lab needs CLIA certification.
AND

You need a hard copy of the CLIA certificate for boarding at all airports along the way and HK entry.
Old Jul 26, 21, 5:10 pm

Looks like there will be no on-arrival airport serology antibody test until at least mid-August: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...rport-antibody

Although the HK gov website still shows a July implementation:
Depending on the implementation progress of the relevant facilities, the Government will implement the second-phase arrangements within July to provide self-paid serology antibody testing service for inbound travellers at the airport. According to the above arrangements, the compulsory quarantine period for those with a serology antibody positive result will be shortened to seven days, and the entry to Hong Kong by relevant non-Hong Kong residents will be relaxed. The operational details of the measures concerned will be announced in due course.

Curious if the antibody test scheme (both phases) will eventually be rolled back entirely, or if HK gov will move forward with phase 2 and still restrict it to HK residents. I don't see how a HK resident who took an antibody test before travelling abroad is any more likely to carry the virus than a HK resident who takes an antibody test upon return to HK.
Old Jul 26, 21, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 View Post
Looks like there will be no on-arrival airport serology antibody test until at least mid-August: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...rport-antibody

Although the HK gov website still shows a July implementation:

Curious if the antibody test scheme (both phases) will eventually be rolled back entirely, or if HK gov will move forward with phase 2 and still restrict it to HK residents. I don't see how a HK resident who took an antibody test before travelling abroad is any more likely to carry the virus than a HK resident who takes an antibody test upon return to HK.
As with everything in Hong Kong right now while there may be policy announcements, we must wait until the details have been published to assess what the policy really means.

It would be nice to see the Government present a plan for moving out of the current environment and the parameters that allow or do not allow it

For instance if this article is correct Singapore has a plan https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/sing...free-september
Old Jul 31, 21, 5:27 am
Original Poster

A Sad Day: This Thread is 1 Year Old

I find it hard to believe I started this thread one year ago. Then I was of the mistaken belief that like World War One 'It would all be over by Christmas'.

Since then there has been multiple waves and global border restrictions have become so byzantine with the added twist of sudden changes, except the permanently unblown HKG-SIN travel bubble.

There only seems to be questions.

1. Will we see any changes before Christmas 2021?
2. What has the HKSAR Government got planned?
3. Will we still be wearing these awful face masks?
4. Who will win the gold medal, vaccines or virus varients?

The thought of this message becoming an annual one is somewhat offputting, especially as WW1 lasted 4 long terrible years.

Stay Safe!
Old Jul 31, 21, 6:44 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Nicc HK View Post
Stay Safe!
masks and personal hygiene will go a long way.

Masks are the only defense for delta with vaccine.
Old Jul 31, 21, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
masks and personal hygiene will go a long way. Masks are the only defense for delta with vaccine.
Seems it is also the day the irony died
Old Jul 31, 21, 8:24 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Nicc HK View Post
I find it hard to believe I started this thread one year ago. Then I was of the mistaken belief that like World War One 'It would all be over by Christmas'.

Since then there has been multiple waves and global border restrictions have become so byzantine with the added twist of sudden changes, except the permanently unblown HKG-SIN travel bubble.

There only seems to be questions.

1. Will we see any changes before Christmas 2021?
2. What has the HKSAR Government got planned?
4. Who will win the gold medal, vaccines or virus varients?

The thought of this message becoming an annual one is somewhat offputting, especially as WW1 lasted 4 long terrible years.

Stay Safe!
1. More countries will be added to the groups A1, A2 and B list.
2. Nothing in the form of easing restrictions at the moment. They want to reopen the border with mainland China (like Macao) but mainland Chinese authorities require at least 70% of population fully vaccinated.
3. The majority of the HKSAR population doesn't mind wearing face masks if it protects themselves from Covid, so it will continue to exist for some time if Covid does too.

Search this Thread