Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by summly
Actually many of my DM and GO friends have started to change their loyalty programme to BA, JL or even switching to*Alliance......

We all based in HKG so we got limited choice but only stick with CX.......

Why CX cannot simply renew all memberships for one year and see what the pandemic develops for further revaluation?

Im very much appreciated that SQ BA and QF reacts so efficiently, these are the airlines truly and sincerely value their loyal customers! They knows the games and rules of running a successful business but absolutely not CX for sure!
rofl

BA, SQ and QF, who all have rolling calendar memberships as well have all only extended the status of their members, the exact same thing that CX has done.

You obviously haven’t read the BA forum’s thread on BAEC membership renewal; nearly everyone is bad mouthing BA for taking the action that they have.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:06 am

What is Cap 599E?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
To all the whiners: I do think, CX does quite a good job, compared to nearly (maybe all) other airlines. CX is very pro-active, gives real money refunds (instead of probably useless vouchers), gives free rebooking/reroutings, etc. Nearly all other airlines refrain from these things, one way or another.

When in the pity squadron, Jan-April, just wait until things mature a little more by the end of the summer and see what comes up, 2021 is still far away. CX shows pretty well, they need to take care of their customers. CX is not saving money to do that (compared to all other airlines) and doing a good job with that. It's not perfect, though certainly acceptable AND they obviously do read FT, to see what is relevant and act accordingly.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by summly
What is Cap 599E?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32301998-post544.html
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by Cambo
To all the whiners: I do think, CX does quite a good job, compared to nearly (maybe all) other airlines. CX is very pro-active, gives real money refunds (instead of probably useless vouchers), gives free rebooking/reroutings, etc. Nearly all other airlines refrain from these things, one way or another.

When in the pity squadron, Jan-April, just wait until things mature a little more by the end of the summer and see what comes up, 2021 is still far away. CX shows pretty well, they need to take care of their customers. CX is not saving money to do that (compared to all other airlines) and doing a good job with that. It's not perfect, though certainly acceptable AND they obviously do read FT, to see what is relevant and act accordingly.
I would have to agree. Also that was what they implied when I called. And to-date all my dealings with MPC have been satisfactory.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
And to-date all my dealings with MPC have been satisfactory.
+1.

My DM expires this month with c. 2400 points, and I am sure I won't be travelling much for several months - but unless the lock down is until let's say late Q4 I imagine I won't struggle to get to 1200 by April 2021. If I do, I am sure that a call to MPC nearer the time, noting my 10 years plus DM membership, would receive a favourable response.

I think they are doing a decent job all things considered.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:38 pm

Yes & No on our whining.

we are specifically talking about how CX deals with the MPC , esp them giving the 12 month extension for May -Dec members, and giving rise to another headache to deal with the Jan - Apr 2021 expiry members if travel does not resume fast.
Wat we are discussing is - wouldn’t it be a better option to extend ALL for 12 months ? I am no expert and there prob are reasons for this , but if taking me as an eg, i am probably sore about this. Y?

I had planned for travels from Dec 2019 -Apr 2020 (1 trip per month) on CX , making sure that these trips would be able to get me to Gold by the time my MPC expires end Apr. Alas, things doesn’t pan out with COVID. And being short of points makes me uncertain if I could keep my current status as silver , even if the points relief are much appreciated but still am short of 20pts after Apr relief . If I get downgraded to green , well I accept it cos tats the way how the system is. I just dun have enuf points .

however, now that CX announces the 12 month extension for May -Dec members, it does strike a raw chord . It just sucks to be downgraded to green when I see others having the auto renewal just cos my expiry does not fall in the May -Dec bracket.

Let me point out tat I love CX. They are my go-to airline of choice when I travel and I too think they have done better than other airlines in terms of refund etc. but my point is tat perhaps this is an area ( MPC) where they prob can do better.

My 2cents worth.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Your reasoning seems a bit strange to me.

Speaking about a downgrade to Green, you seem to be Silver now and do not requalify for Silver by the end of April, not even with the freebie points.
There was normal flying in Dec/Jan/Feb. Feb somewhat, though with rescheduling you could still fly everywhere except China.
For Silver, you got your extension points Feb/March/April, total 90 points, and -because you do not requalify for Silver- did have less than 210 flying points when the bans started for you.
You planned (in Dec, plan without freebies) to do mileage runs to get to Gold (total required 600).
You state, you failed your target, so missing more than 600 - 210 = 390 points by the end of April, due to non-flying in (part of) Feb, March, April.
So, you originally planned to fly in March and April for 390 points ?
Possible, though a challenge and impressive to do so for a mileage run, quite expensive to get Gold (note, that Gold is of little value, when you fly J class).

If the above is correct, you should have (by now canceled) tickets to prove your story, so maybe contact MPC and explain.
Explain them, due to Corona, you missed the upgrade to Gold as well as your Silver requalify, whether they understand your hardship position and whether they would be prepared to continue your Silver status.
Then, by the time the world flies again, you restart your mileage runs, using the extra freebies granted in May/June/July.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
Your reasoning seems a bit strange to me.

Speaking about a downgrade to Green, you seem to be Silver now and do not requalify for Silver by the end of April, not even with the freebie points.
There was normal flying in Dec/Jan/Feb. Feb somewhat, though with rescheduling you could still fly everywhere except China.
For Silver, you got your extension points Feb/March/April, total 90 points, and -because you do not requalify for Silver- did have less than 210 flying points when the bans started for you.
You planned (in Dec, plan without freebies) to do mileage runs to get to Gold (total required 600).
You state, you failed your target, so missing more than 600 - 210 = 390 points by the end of April, due to non-flying in (part of) Feb, March, April.
So, you originally planned to fly in March and April for 390 points ?
Possible, though a challenge and impressive to do so for a mileage run, quite expensive to get Gold (note, that Gold is of little value, when you fly J class).

If the above is correct, you should have (by now canceled) tickets to prove your story, so maybe contact MPC and explain.
Explain them, due to Corona, you missed the upgrade to Gold as well as your Silver requalify, whether they understand your hardship position and whether they would be prepared to continue your Silver status.
Then, by the time the world flies again, you restart your mileage runs, using the extra freebies granted in May/June/July.
yup - I actually have biz class trips booked for this period from sin to New York and sin to Seoul which is enough points to qualify to gold , with other short trips also on biz to Shanghai and HK among my booked travels. It helped tat some of these are biz trips and I’ve timed it to complete it before Apr.

and yes, if my status doesn’t get renewed as silver by end April, my last resort is prob to pull out all my cancelled past trips to prove tat I actually have trips tat would qualify me . I dun know if this had been tried & tested before?

I dun know if I would be traveling as much in biz after apr , so would be good for me to at least maintain silver to get lounge access when i am traveling in economy.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pochi
Thx for the reply.
Seems 1000 CP + 100 CP(holded ticket) is not that secure to upgrade as Diamond.........
considering they have given you 195 club points for free, they might not be that generous
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Mei1981
yup - I actually have biz class trips booked for this period from sin to New York and sin to Seoul which is enough points to qualify to gold , with other short trips also on biz to Shanghai and HK among my booked travels. It helped tat some of these are biz trips and I’ve timed it to complete it before Apr.

and yes, if my status doesn’t get renewed as silver by end April, my last resort is prob to pull out all my cancelled past trips to prove tat I actually have trips tat would qualify me . I dun know if this had been tried & tested before?

I dun know if I would be traveling as much in biz after apr , so would be good for me to at least maintain silver to get lounge access when i am traveling in economy.
even with the club points relief of three months you will fail to renew?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: CX DM
Apr CPR credited
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:48 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Received my April credit.

I'm now at 1165 out of 1200 for my diamond renewal, with a renewal of July 2020.

Does anyone know if they will provide more credits for May onwards? With the renewal extension announced it's better that I don't receive anymore CP credits for May otherwise I lose 2 months membership.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:56 pm

Got my April points relief and now at 1610. I suppose if things don't really improve we can just request for a membership holiday extend things by 6months to a year given some of us might not be traveling until 2021.

I wonder if CX would allow us to get a 12 month holiday with an option to exit it when things improve.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Apr 20, 2020 at 7:29 am
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Just got mine which got me 4 bookable upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.