Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, iHG Spire, JGC Diamond
Originally Posted by sscywong
Not surprising to me... Even full fare subclass Y / J tickets require flyer to pay fare difference in case of changing before first segment is flown... Once first segment is flown further change is free

But I doubt how many of those VERY special fare tickets will need changes once first segment is flown
Just called cathay in HK and Vietnam , they say even after flying first segment you cant change anything without repricing.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ermen
hes probably right on the amount needed per mile. 0.8 - 1 UScper mile. joe public normally pays closer to US 2c (especially for AS).

put another way assuming crediting to AS, CX is lumping in a free one way J redemption Asia to NA (50k AS miles).

Go Army Beat Navy
i don’t think they will be paying 0.8c per dollar either, do you have a source?

Alaska’s mileage plan miles are particularly lucrative it has to be said though, you can purchase enough straight off (providing you have a 10 day old mileage plan account) for a Oz to HKG on Cathay in J for <$600, a third of the cost of the flight paid just with cash.

i suspect the cost will be somewhere nearer to $100-150 per pax for Cathay for miles (whether theoretical or if money actually changes hands). Why do I suggest that, because it is in the interest of airlines to sell their airmiles commercially at a significantly reduced rate as this generates further revenue to the airline through additional purchases and is completely different to selling direct to the public.

Onviosuly thjs does add costs, which aren’t inconsiderable, but not at a level that it will concern shareholders or investors , particularly as they are likely not to be included in any reporting to shareholders of the cost (if indeed it is reported, any shareholders want to ask the question for FT at the next briefing?)

Last edited by navylad; Jan 4, 2019 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:21 pm

Datapoint- I cancelled my flights today as frankly it goes against my morale compass and has bothered me since I booked them. I reached out to Cathay via Twitter and asked for a cancellation fee waiver since at the end of the day they can sell these two seats at full fare and make a boatload of money compared to the mistake fare. Sadly they responded as such:
" we are unable to waive the cancellation fee at our end, we will charge it according to the terms and condition."

I now have a new understanding of the people who take great pleasure in giving it to an airline. Think about the dollars and cents involved in this situation and ask yourself if you were a decision maker why you would not support a waiver of the cancellation fee. I applauded them for owning their mistake and honoring the tickets, however I have an incredibly bad taste in my mouth with how they are handling the cancellation.
Calchas likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Datapoint- I cancelled my flights today as frankly it goes against my morale compass and has bothered me since I booked them. I reached out to Cathay via Twitter and asked for a cancellation fee waiver since at the end of the day they can sell these two seats at full fare and make a boatload of money compared to the mistake fare. Sadly they responded as such:
" we are unable to waive the cancellation fee at our end, we will charge it according to the terms and condition."

I now have a new understanding of the people who take great pleasure in giving it to an airline. Think about the dollars and cents involved in this situation and ask yourself if you were a decision maker why you would not support a waiver of the cancellation fee. I applauded them for owning their mistake and honoring the tickets, however I have an incredibly bad taste in my mouth with how they are handling the cancellation.
It bothers you that CX is earning far less money than they normally would but you aren't willing to pay them the full cancellation fee? Interesting.

CX is owing up to its obligations so I'm not sure why the fuss when they expect you to do the same.
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:10 pm

There you go!

This should rid any compunction you may have had to take this trip and really "giving it" to them. Enjoy Vietnam, have a bottle of Krug, extra servings of caviar, and order several of the side dishes. Enjoy and taste the full flavor of the CX F experience absent any guilt or remorse! Congrats!
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
It bothers you that CX is earning far less money than they normally would but you aren't willing to pay them the full cancellation fee? Interesting.

CX is owing up to its obligations so I'm not sure why the fuss when they expect you to do the same.
I cancelled my fare as I did not feel good about the mistake fare. My cancelling of the fare allows CX to sell my fare for 10-20x what they sold said fare to me. They give up a couple hundred bucks to make $10-30k off of my cancellation and both parties are happy. What part of that do you not understand?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by dddc
But the issue is business people may never have thought the situation that just happened could happen..
Yes. Some 40 years ago, I did speak with somebody like that, who insisted that in near future, the speed of light would be exceeded.......

Or that the risk of it happening was so small that it outweighed the cost of developing a solution for it.
Yes, as always, look at the IoT security nightmare, just an example.

Too be fair if this was a case of fares being loaded incorrectly, simply building a check for a 2nd user to authorise the changes would reduce the risk of it happening again.
Nop, 2 pairs of eyes does not work in environments where time pressure is immanent.

That would be far easier than building an algorithm to spot unusual transactions like this, imho.
Simply don't make the checks to complicated. Just have a minimum amount to be charged for a ticket vs. the actual sales price, simply based on leg length and booking class. Everything that fails that check, needs manual approval. Easy peasy.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
There you go!

This should rid any compunction you may have had to take this trip and really "giving it" to them. Enjoy Vietnam, have a bottle of Krug, extra servings of caviar, and order several of the side dishes. Enjoy and taste the full flavor of the CX F experience absent any guilt or remorse! Congrats!
LOL! I flew CX F early last year and while it was a nice experience, it was nothing remotely close to the cash value of the trip. With that said, next time CX f's up with a similar fare, I'll be the guy booking 17 roundtrips........
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

I cancelled my fare as I did not feel good about the mistake fare. My cancelling of the fare allows CX to sell my fare for 10-20x what they sold said fare to me. They give up a couple hundred bucks to make $10-30k off of my cancellation and both parties are happy. What part of that do you not understand?
If you didn't feel good about it, why did you book it to begin with?
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seems commercially shortsighted.

It also seems to contradict their other position that tickets priced under the fare are now non-changeable, despite the terms and conditions saying otherwise.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
It was NYE, I had a few beers in me. What's it really matter? CX should have been happy to waive the fee to get back their ability to make their usual revenue.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo
.....Apart from the HKG-NA leg capacity, the capacity of the feeder leg VN-HKG is also relevant (HAN:A321:24J, DAD:A320:24J, SGN:330:30J+772:42J), which gives a total of 120 J seats a day. That is far less than the HKG-NA F+J capacity. Assume some 25% of the VN-HKG leg was already booked and half of the remaining J capacity was reserved for the lowest -action- booking class, this gives: 45 seats a day, over the year: roughly 16K seats.

Which might explain that the J action offer VN-HKG-NA was also exhausted, where probably the J inventory HKG-NA is not exhausted. Check,check, check.......
Having seen more reports, it turns out, CX did also sell code-share tickets on VN.

So, another guesstimate: Add another 25% to my previous total, reaching 20K tickets. Pfffff.

We really can say, CX does everything BIG: Billions in fuel hedges, Millions of leaked customer data and 10 thousands of peanuts tickets.

Feel free to comment on this "enhancement".
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
...... The consequences would be far more apparent if CX accidentally sold half a million economy tickets to overseas travels by mistske for $10 instead of $1000 (instead of mucking up premium classes as they did), .....
I think, your calculation might be a bit opportunistic. For several reasons:
- I don't think, the CX IT systems will be able to handle that many sales in just a couple of hours. It does have an automatic brake.
- There aren't that many people on FT and all other FF blogs.
- Those people skimming FF blogs, can be expected the ones more interested in premium travel and if not, are to busy to chase around the planet in Y style from/to locations they don't need to go.
- Flying in Y is a necessary lifestyle, flying F/J is a pleasure, so to say.
- The majority of Y tickets goes to "tourists", who pay sub-standard prices, only small part of the USD (I assume) 1000 you refer to.
- I think, CX would be very happy, to sell even a million low-class Y tickets in a New Years eve sale. Then the remaining tickets go in higher fare classes and there will be enough people to purchase that remaining lot (grinding teeth or not).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Capitalism new to you?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:45 pm

When you ordered the tickets, you did not seem to have considered the serious financial consequences for CX and you did not seem to feel pity for CX. Your pity feelings came only 3 days later.

Why do you expect CX to have pity with you ?

Who knows, and CX starts to feel pity with you, in another 3-4 days.......

Buying tickets a long time upfront gives you huge discount on the cost of flexibility. Your argument holds for all these tickets though contradicts the logic of "obtain cheap when purchased early".
HKGglobaltrotter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.