FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:45 pm
Cambo

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Datapoint- I cancelled my flights today as frankly it goes against my morale compass and has bothered me since I booked them. I reached out to Cathay via Twitter and asked for a cancellation fee waiver since at the end of the day they can sell these two seats at full fare and make a boatload of money compared to the mistake fare. Sadly they responded as such:
" we are unable to waive the cancellation fee at our end, we will charge it according to the terms and condition."
When you ordered the tickets, you did not seem to have considered the serious financial consequences for CX and you did not seem to feel pity for CX. Your pity feelings came only 3 days later.

Why do you expect CX to have pity with you ?

Who knows, and CX starts to feel pity with you, in another 3-4 days.......

Originally Posted by brodielayne
I cancelled my fare as I did not feel good about the mistake fare. My cancelling of the fare allows CX to sell my fare for 10-20x what they sold said fare to me. They give up a couple hundred bucks to make $10-30k off of my cancellation and both parties are happy. What part of that do you not understand?
Buying tickets a long time upfront gives you huge discount on the cost of flexibility. Your argument holds for all these tickets though contradicts the logic of "obtain cheap when purchased early".