FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:16 pm
Cambo

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
...... The consequences would be far more apparent if CX accidentally sold half a million economy tickets to overseas travels by mistske for $10 instead of $1000 (instead of mucking up premium classes as they did), .....
I think, your calculation might be a bit opportunistic. For several reasons:
- I don't think, the CX IT systems will be able to handle that many sales in just a couple of hours. It does have an automatic brake.
- There aren't that many people on FT and all other FF blogs.
- Those people skimming FF blogs, can be expected the ones more interested in premium travel and if not, are to busy to chase around the planet in Y style from/to locations they don't need to go.
- Flying in Y is a necessary lifestyle, flying F/J is a pleasure, so to say.
- The majority of Y tickets goes to "tourists", who pay sub-standard prices, only small part of the USD (I assume) 1000 you refer to.
- I think, CX would be very happy, to sell even a million low-class Y tickets in a New Years eve sale. Then the remaining tickets go in higher fare classes and there will be enough people to purchase that remaining lot (grinding teeth or not).