Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:12 pm

From a point of view (visited past times few weeks), it seems that in the lounges the staffs seems worn out and can hear them saying they are tired. Tables were not cleared on time during the breakfast hour and I hardly could get seat. Food presentation are also not always optimal.

Maybe it seems that Sodexo is cutting down in budget and Cathay is not taking care of it... (also budget?!?)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by SDXS
From a point of view (visited past times few weeks), it seems that in the lounges the staffs seems worn out and can hear them saying they are tired. Tables were not cleared on time during the breakfast hour and I hardly could get seat. Food presentation are also not always optimal.

Maybe it seems that Sodexo is cutting down in budget and Cathay is not taking care of it... (also budget?!?)
Welcome to FT.

Your statements are pretty intriguing. Where the majority of CX-FT posters do conclude the opposite of your findings (after initially sharing your opinion some 2-3+ months ago). You may want to elaborate your very general statements.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SDXS

When did you experience the issues? Definitely, just a few months ago what you describe was the norm here on FT. And, in my personal experiences too.

I actually haven't been to Pier F in 3+ months as a result! Despite departing from Hong Kong on OneWorld carriers at least 10, if not 15 times since then.

However, recently it seems like there is a lot of positive reviews here.

Originally Posted by Cambo
Your statements are pretty intriguing. Where the majority of CX-FT posters do conclude the opposite of your findings (after initially sharing your opinion some 2-3+ months ago). You may want to elaborate your very general statements.
Yea. Maybe / hopefully the poster is referring to a past experience. I hope the positive experiences weren't just the result of a lucky 2-3 weeks.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by Alawyer
For those of you who still think the grass is greener in the Qantas lounge, I lost my appetite for char siew upon this sight:

Had to quickly retreat to the Deck to calm my nerves with Mumm. The improved hor d'oeuvres helped as well!
That pic belongs on Passenger Shaming IG!
Gross
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
My experience @ The Pier J

Read lots of comments about the declining quality in the lounge on here but I really don't see it that way.
Granted, I've not been to the Pier F lounge but in the past 3 years, I'd say that CX lounges at HKIA is one of the best in the world (especially so when you compare it to SQ/QR's policy of separating their business class lounges from the Gold status lounges)
I was in HKG twice last month, and I visited the QF lounge on the first trip & then the CX lounge on the following trip.

I've always been able to find something that suits my taste but the comments about the (beef) siu mai and dumplings/dim sum really made me laugh.
Of course, it's packaged food either frozen or chilled.
Surely, you can't/don't expect Ding Tai Fung quality of hand made dumplings in an airport lounge, right?

Some pics from late last month -

And the lounge has more going for it than just the food - I think the showers & slumber room are excellent if you have a long layover at HKG or after a long haul flight from Europe/USA & the staff have always been friendly & helpful.

The 2 things that I did notice were -

1. the San Pellegrino water bottles have been removed from the beverage display chillers a few months ago & is only available from the bar counter - the very friendly Filipina bartender was more than happy to serve it to me when I asked
2. it might just be me but I thought that the wonton skin was thicker than usual when I ordered the wonton soup (without noodles) from the noodle bar, the filling was more or less the same

Overall, I'd be happy to spend my time at the Pier lounge but if my departure gate was in the 1-15 zone then I'd head over to the QF lounge instead.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I was in The Wing two days ago from 0530 (opening, I was the first passenger through the door) until around 0730 when I left for my gate (45, verrry long walk). Staff was invariably good, all staff smiled during all interactions with guests. As I was looking around for the showers, one staff member approached me with a friendly, "You look as though you're looking for something. May I help you?"

I had poached eggs from the menu, and they were fine (a little undercooked for my personal taste, but acceptable overall; not everyone likes them the way I do). American bacon cooked perfectly (slightly crisp but not at all dry). Prompt refill offers whenever my glass/cup was empty. Used dishes removed quickly. Both staff at the door thanked me with a smile as I left. I can't think of any way in which my experience could have been improved.
I actually just realized this myself last month but the train (Automated People Mover) makes a stop at gates 40-60 & the elevator will bring you up to exactly where the Wing BRIDGE lounge is.

Last edited by kaffir76; Sep 7, 2018 at 11:39 pm Reason: Wrong lounge - still confused with all the different names :)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76
I actually just realized this myself last month but the train (Automated People Mover) makes a stop at gates 40-60 & the elevator will bring you up to exactly where the Wing lounge is.
I think you mean The Bridge Lounge?

The Wing is near Gate 2.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Just visited Pier J last 6 Sept. A few musings:
  1. The food was vastly improved from my visit last June. Selection and quality.
  2. Change from Moet to Mumm. My preference is Moet, but Mumm is not a deal breaker. Hair splitting, really.
  3. Staff pretty good and plates were cleared rather quickly.
  4. Was it just me or is there no ice machine or ice bucket in the drinks section? Staff had to give me a glass of ice for my soda.
kaffir76 and clubeurope like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Knowing the guys at Plaza Premium and how they operate their business, it is little wonder why they lost this lucrative CX contract to manage their lounges at HKIA.

Plaza Premium are a complete bunch of unrelaible clowns.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF Platium(OWE)/CX Diamond(OWE)/SPG Platium/Marriott Titanium/Hyatt Globalist/Accor Platium/
Visited Wing/Pier F lounger few time this in the last few weeks. The food quality/staff in the restaurant definitely improved a lot.
However the sitting area now became anther service lapse area. The staff only come to clean up the desk only once an hour!! We are forced to clean them up \!!!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Knowing the guys at Plaza Premium and how they operate their business, it is little wonder why they lost this lucrative CX contract to manage their lounges at HKIA.

Plaza Premium are a complete bunch of unrelaible clowns.
Tell us more? The way they ran the CX lounges was okay and it seems like they’re running the Amex lounge okay too.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by mbamejia
Just visited Pier J last 6 Sept. A few musings:
  1. The food was vastly improved from my visit last June. Selection and quality.
  2. Change from Moet to Mumm. My preference is Moet, but Mumm is not a deal breaker. Hair splitting, really.
  3. Staff pretty good and plates were cleared rather quickly.
  4. Was it just me or is there no ice machine or ice bucket in the drinks section? Staff had to give me a glass of ice for my soda.
Yeah, I forgot to add that point too about the lack of ice machines/buckets but the bartender will be happy to get you some ice if you ask for it
I personally prefer to help/serve myself when it comes to drinks & ice cubes
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:43 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sxc
Tell us more? The way they ran the CX lounges was okay and it seems like they’re running the Amex lounge okay too.
+1

I agree. I've felt that Plaza Premium Lounges are often a lot nicer than those typical contract lounges you'd find elsewhere...

The Aspire lounges are particularly bad
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Had the exact same beef shin and prawn tofu, the presentation was exactly the same as pictured above. Tasted good as described above, so not going to further illustrate.

Want to highlight some services I did not notice in the past:
1)While ordering, I was asked if I would like starters and main to be served all together, or main come after starters.
2)Once I finished my mains, staff quickly approached with menu again and asked if I needed any desserts.
3)Had an eye contact with one of the staff and I was quickly asked if I need anything - quite attentive.

The visit was during non-peak hours (around 8pm), so the occupancy was ~20%. It met my expectation of Pier F.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
The Dining room was a bit of a mess this morning, only 3 staff and 3 supervisors working the floor. Many tables left uncleaned...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.