Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Originally Posted by xyzzy
in reality, those one billion "miles" are really only worth one million dollars in statement credits. That's small potatoes compared to the capital ne marketing budget.
$1,000,000,000 / 100 = $10,000,000
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Red face

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Not 10 Mil$ ?
D'h! yes (he says as he reviews Kettle math)...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Besides the uncertainty of being one of the first "10,000" to get their share of the miles, the other thing that gave me pause on this deal is the multiple pulls your credit gets hit with for just this one application. But then I thought further and in a way, this could still be considered one pull. It's not like you get 3 pulls on one of the reporting agencies and endure 3X the point damage. Each will have just the one normal pull. So then later, for my next application the card issuer will only be checking just one of the agencies, as is much more common, and just the one inquiry for this CapOne card would be seen. Not all 3. So in a way, the 3 pulls from this deal really doesn't do any more harm than the usual 1 pull. Does that make sense? Does to me anyway.
Just a thought for those that may be hesitating on this deal due to CapOne's dreaded "triple pull."
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by LAXtraveler19
If most people shoot for a $.02 redemption value on airline miles, this offer is the equivalent of a standard 50k offer from any of the credit card companies. With the AMEX 50k+25k(mqm) and the AA 75k offers out there, this doesn't seem special at all, ESPECIALLY considering that applicants are taking a chance on missing the promo after being approved (more so if you have to wait for approval).

I've only been following card offers for about a year but can any of you veterans chime in here? Is this really a good offer considering the risk? If so, why?
Yes, there are some great deals out there like the ones you've mentioned, however, many of us have taken advantage of those already. I, for one, like the flexibility of this and hope to net at least 20k EQM, 40K RDM, and 8 500mile upgrades on AA (hopefully securing PLT for another year and maybe enough to vault me towards a run EXP). These perks combined are more valuable to me than 75k RDM miles and that's it!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
This seems even riskier than the 'promise' that you referred to. You're signing up without a guarantee that you'll get the points. 3 dings on your credit, and if you don't score the promo you get a $100 credit with C1 and you ruin your chances of taking advantage of their next promo...
I guess I don't live in fear that a credit pull (or three) is going to ruin my financial life or the ability to take advantage of future credit card promos whether it is with Cap1 or any other credit card company. Given that, I see no risk in applying for this card, but to each his own.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by xyzzy
In reality, those one billion "miles" are really only worth one million dollars in statement credits. That's small potatoes compared to the Capital ne marketing budget.
I bet that's only a portion of their marketing budget for this promo even. Apparently they're running ads during the weekend's basketball games and I'm guessing Alex Baldwin will be making an appearance...nether of which can be too cheap.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
I guess I don't live in fear that a credit pull (or three) is going to ruin my financial life or the ability to take advantage of future credit card promos whether it is with Cap1 or any other credit card company. Given that, I see no risk in applying for this card, but to each his own.
It's not the end of the world, but it would certainly ruin my day to find out i wasted an app for only 10,000 Capital one miles, after meeting the spend. Heck i would rather waste an app on 25k Delta miles.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:41 pm

If most people shoot for a $.02 redemption value on airline miles, this offer is the equivalent of a standard 50k offer from any of the credit card companies. With the AMEX 50k+25k(mqm) and the AA 75k offers out there, this doesn't seem special at all, ESPECIALLY considering that applicants are taking a chance on missing the promo after being approved (more so if you have to wait for approval).

I've only been following card offers for about a year but can any of you veterans chime in here? Is this really a good offer considering the risk? If so, why?
It is a good offer if you just upgrade your current C1 card to the Venture Card. This way there is no "hard pull" with nothing to lose.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:42 pm
ss

With 110,000 "miles" in my Venture card account, can I submit a receipt for a $2000
airline ticket and be reimbursed for $1100 of it?

Last edited by ss; Mar 11, 2011 at 4:17 pm Reason: Originally wrote "1100" but meant "110,000".
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by ss
With 1100 "miles" in my Venture card account, can I submit a receipt for a $2000
no
for those miles you will be reimbursed only $11 not a cent more
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by libuser
no
for those miles you will be reimbursed only $11 not a cent more
Deleted. (Mis-read the original post)
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ss
With 1100 "miles" in my Venture card account, can I submit a receipt for a $2000
Assuming you meant 110,000 miles, which translates to 1,100 dollars, the answer seems to be yes. Ignore the posters who failed to notice what you meant.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO, AA
Originally Posted by crm1712
Wondering if this card is gonna be worth it for me. My CO account has ~83,500 miles which I feel like is worth it, problem is, 25,000 are from the CO Card Enrollment Bonus and will be featured on my newest statement.

The only work around I can think of is after my CO statement closing in a day or two, is taking a print screen showing a ~83,500 "Beginning Balance" since I can't wait for another statement to close in 3+ days.

Thoughts?
Anyone?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by brasov02
Besides the uncertainty of being one of the first "10,000" to get their share of the miles, the other thing that gave me pause on this deal is the multiple pulls your credit gets hit with for just this one application. But then I thought further and in a way, this could still be considered one pull. It's not like you get 3 pulls on one of the reporting agencies and endure 3X the point damage. Each will have just the one normal pull. So then later, for my next application the card issuer will only be checking just one of the agencies, as is much more common, and just the one inquiry for this CapOne card would be seen. Not all 3. So in a way, the 3 pulls from this deal really doesn't do any more harm than the usual 1 pull. Does that make sense? Does to me anyway.
Just a thought for those that may be hesitating on this deal due to CapOne's dreaded "triple pull."
You are correct - it's just a concern for those experienced churners who may be heavy on one or more of the reporting agencies.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by crm1712
Anyone?
I think you're better off answering that question for yourself.

For me the question is, Is it worth it to take 3 credit pulls for $1,100 in credit card spend credits (Essentially cash back)? My answer is an easy yes for the following reasons:

1. I have recently received Citi AA, Chase CO, and AMEX Plat cards and am unlikely to apply or be approved for further cards from these banks for the immediate future so no urgent need to save credit pulls for now.

2. I find myself relatively miles rich and cash poor. For example, I have plenty of airline and hotel points to get myself to the boundary waters of Minnesota/Canada which is next on my list of dream vacations. I hesitate to make the trip however because such a trip would require big out of pocket expenditures for fishing/canoeing outfitting packages. No way to cover these expenses with airline or hotel points but this works perfectly!

Basically, it is more than worth it to me to take $1,100 (and would still be if I only expected $935 as you are) in exchange for 3 credit pulls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.