Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by saacman5033
For me the question is, Is it worth it to take 3 credit pulls...
I can't believe peple waste so much time worrying about this.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: Skyteam, OneWorld, AMEX
Originally Posted by xyzzy
People waste time worrying about this stuff to leave some dry powder for when it's really needed rather than jumping at every free t-shirt offer that the banks throw out there.

Hopefully at least a few people have learned from the mortgage fallout that this stuff shouldn't always be taken lightly, especially because the rest of us are paying for their mistakes. The great credit card bailout is right around the corner and perhaps some discerning borrowers can lighten the load...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:01 pm

Out of that whole post you deduced that I actually was worried about that. And that I spent "so much time" worrying.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:16 pm
ss

Originally Posted by mreed911
Assuming you meant 110,000 miles, which translates to 1,100 dollars, the answer seems to be yes. Ignore the posters who failed to notice what you meant.
Yes, I meant 110,000. What's a few zeros among friends? Thanks for the answer.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by saacman5033
Out of that whole post you deduced that I actually was worried about that. And that I spent "so much time" worrying.
No -- ut of that one and the countless others I've seen over the years worrying about the same thing.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Originally Posted by Huevosman
I have a 750 credit score and was denied for this card, it was my first denial, can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do?
me too! Denied and my Vantage score is 990! But I do have high debt to credit limit ratio on some business cards, so that may be the culprit. First denial ever!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:04 pm

Got denied for the card last night, in my first actual denial ever. I have a very good to excellent credit score, but I've opened probably 10 or so credit cards (I've lost track ) in the last six months.

I've gotten most of the best offers, so the plan is to wait at least 6 months before applying for a new card, unless something incredible comes along in the meantime.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:09 pm

No -- ut of that one and the countless others I've seen over the years worrying about the same thing.
Just a little strange that of all the countless posts worrying, you pick the post not expressing worry to quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:49 pm

My wife and I were both approved with a $30,000 limit EACH...not that I'll use any of it.

Anyway, thanks for the $2,200 travel voucher!!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by arrosen
My wife and I were both approved with a $30,000 limit EACH...not that I'll use any of it.

I think you and your wife are the only ones who have gotten their miles reserved
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johndeere19
I bet that's only a portion of their marketing budget for this promo even. Apparently they're running ads during the weekend's basketball games and I'm guessing Alex Baldwin will be making an appearance...nether of which can be too cheap.
Well, that will be interesting. My guess is that this Flyertalk thread and related blogs (like ViewFromtheWing) are easily worth 5,000 apps. Maybe more. So that doesn't leave many miles (the billion) left for "the public."

The "problem" for CapOne is that Flyertalkers make terrible customers for most credit card deals. Almost all of us are going to spend $1K, collect our big bonuses, and never use the card again. Many less sophisticated members of the general public wouldn't even qualify for the full 100K bonus, and might continue to use the card (and pay the annual fee) after they reach the $1K spending threshold.

In other words, I think they will regret this offer. That is, if they're smart enough to actually interpret the "results."
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, that will be interesting. My guess is that this Flyertalk thread and related blogs (like ViewFromtheWing) are easily worth 5,000 apps. Maybe more. So that doesn't leave many miles (the billion) left for "the public."

The "problem" for CapOne is that Flyertalkers make terrible customers for most credit card deals. Almost all of us are going to spend $1K, collect our big bonuses, and never use the card again. Many less sophisticated members of the general public wouldn't even qualify for the full 100K bonus, and might continue to use the card (and pay the annual fee) after they reach the $1K spending threshold.

In other words, I think they will regret this offer. That is, if they're smart enough to actually interpret the "results."
Yup, and most Flyertalkers will probably apply their significant other, sibling, children, and the family dog to get the miles too. Could take just a few thousand people to end this deal before it really began.

And the majority of us have at least one of the eligible FF programs with over 100k miles in it to match the full amount.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by arrosen

+1

We both got the same credit limit a day apart. I was going to hold out but then $1,100 more for another vacation was too tempting. This was my 8 or so credit card in the past 10 months. I'm not catching on to the worry about inquiries. If I haven't messed up my credit yet I think I'm fine.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: virgin
I can't believe how ridiculously confident everyone here is that they will get $1100 from C1, for spending $1000. You really are delusional.

airlines can do it because they are giving you a seat that otherwise would be empty, and has a flexible value to it from zero up. This supposedly =cash, and therefore very unlikely to be fulfilled in the way people are talking here.

Capital One are gaming you. Gaming the gamers. They are not dumb, and yes they know about mileage freaks like us. Please be rational, and keep a firmly cynical eye on these offers.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peegeenyc
I can't believe how ridiculously confident everyone here is that they will get $1100 from C1, for spending $1000. You really are delusional.

airlines can do it because they are giving you a seat that otherwise would be empty, and has a flexible value to it from zero up. This supposedly =cash, and therefore very unlikely to be fulfilled in the way people are talking here.

Capital One are gaming you. Gaming the gamers. They are not dumb, and yes they know about mileage freaks like us. Please be rational, and keep a firmly cynical eye on these offers.
What's the most I have to lose on this? 2 minutes to apply and $1k spend that I would otherwise do on another card. I see no downside and $1100 of upside.
Originally Posted by iahphx
I think you greatly overestimate the number of people from here with 100k balances who have applied.
n this we can agree!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.