Search

YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward

Hi FT,

With YVR's connection guide going offline and AC's YVR connection guide being severely out of date, I created an up-to-date connection guide to guide you through your connection at YVR.

Keep in mind that you cannot use any sterile connection facility if your bags have not been checked through to your final destination. For DOM -> INTL/TB Connections, you must exit to landside and pick up your bags from the carousel + recheck them with your next carrier. For INTL -> DOM/TB/INTL Connections, you must clear Canada Customs and pick up your bags from the carousel + recheck them with your next carrier.

There are absolutely NO airside overnight connections allowed in ANY circumstance. Your connecting flight must leave at 0200 the following morning at the latest. While some carriers may transfer checked bags automatically overnight (i.e. ITD AC->AC), this is the exception and you should always check with the arriving carrier's baggage information desk at YVR to see if this is the case. Either way, you must exit to landside or clear Canada Customs at YVR until CATSA opens at 0400 the next morning.

DOM(A/B/C) -> INTL(D) Connections
Follow the signs to "International Connections(D)" towards the C/D swing gates (Gate 50-52) checkpoint where an agent will check your next boarding pass or itinerary to ensure that you have a same-day(before 0200) international connection. If you do not have your onwards boarding pass, you can present your itinerary and pick up your boarding pass at the gate. Note that gates are typically staffed 60 minutes before departure and there are no airline assistance counters in the International Departures Area(with the exception of AC via the MLL Lounge). Keep this in mind if you would like to use the lounge and cannot generate your departing boarding pass via OLCI.

You do not have to be screened through CATSA again, however you may not turn around(i.e. going back to A/B/C gates or exit to landside) after passing the INTL CNX checkpoint. You must remain in the International Departures Area(D Gates). Keep this in mind if you have a long layover and would like to enter Vancouver to sightsee.

DOM(A/B/C) -> TB(E) Connections
Your connection journey will vary significantly depending on what time your DOM flight arrives. Note that the USCBP Pre-Clearance facility closes at 2030. If your flight is departing after 2030, you will be departing through D Gates and must clear USCBP at your destination.

Arrival between 0700-1900:
Follow the signs to "USA Connections(E)" towards the C/D swing gates (Gate 50-52) checkpoint where an agent will check your next boarding pass or itinerary to ensure that you have a same-day(before 2030) TB connection. After passing the checkpoint, keep walking towards the signage to "E" Gates to the TB Connections Facility, past the AC MLL Intl Lounge and CATSA Intl Security Checkpoint.

If you do not have your onwards boarding pass, you can present your itinerary and pick up your boarding pass at the TB Connections airline assistance counter right before CATSA's TB Connection Security Checkpoint. There is a self-serve kiosk that can print out AC,WS,AA,AS,DL and UA boarding passes but YMMV due to the current COVID vaccine attestation rules to enter the US. AC/WS also typically have agents positioned there as well. If there is no agent/you're having difficulty printing your boarding pass via the self-serve kiosk, you can use the courtesy phone on the wall next to the self-serve kiosks with speed dials to carrier's check-in supervisors so they can dispatch an agent to verify your documents/print your boarding pass.

With an outbound boarding pass, you can be screened by CATSA. Security re-screening for all TB CNX pax are mandatory due to the more stringent TSA regulations for Pre-Clearance flights. There is currently no Priority/GE/NEXUS/TSA PreCheck line due to lack of demand from COVID. Immediately after security, there are GE kiosks to print out a GE slip for GE/NEXUS members.

You'll then get your boarding pass scanned one more time to ensure that your checked baggage have been screened + scanned at YVR in preparation for USCBP inspection. If your bags do not have a scan, you'll be directed to wait in a seating area until your bags have been scanned at YVR. Afterwards, you may proceed for USCBP Pre-Clearance inspection. There is a separate line for TB CNX that is typically shorter than the originating USCBP line.

Arrivals before 0700/after 1900:
You must exit to landside and proceed to TB landside check-in counters. Enter CATSA through the landside checkpoint.

INTL -> DOM(A/B/C) Connections
You may be eligible to use the International to Domestic(ITD) Facility if you arrive between 0600-2200 and meet one of these specific criteria:
- Air Canada(AC) connecting to Air Canada(AC)
- Lufthansa(LH) connecting to Air Canada(AC)
- Edelweiss(WK) connecting to Air Canada(AC)
- Westjet(WS) connecting to Westjet(WS)
- Air France(AF) connecting to Westjet(WS)
- Delta(DL) connecting to Westjet(WS)
- Japan Airlines(JL) connecting to Westjet(WS)
- KLM(KL) connecting to Westjet(WS)

AND are also arriving directly(excluding any technical stops) from a flight departing from the following destinations:
- All USA Flights
- All Mexico Flights EXCEPT MEXICO CITY(MEX)
- All Europe Flights
- All Japan Flights
- All Korea Flights
- All Australia Flights
- All New Zealand Flights

Follow the signs for "Canada Connections" and present BOTH arriving and departing boarding pass to the agent. If you do not have your onwards boarding pass, you can pick one up at the AC/WS counter right before the ITD facility. Scan your passport on the Primary Inspection Kiosk and proceed to the CBSA officer. There are Nexus kiosks available at the very left of the ITD facility for eligible members. After passing Canada Customs, present BOTH arriving and departing boarding passes one more time to the agent.

If you are arriving from the US, EU Schengen Zone, UK, Australia or New Zealand, you do not have to re-clear security under the One Stop Security(OSS) agreements. However, you must present your arriving boarding pass to prove that you are eligible for the OSS program.

If you are arriving from outside these countries OR have misplaced your arriving boarding pass, you must go through security again. You'll go through flip doors and depending on time/demand, go through CATSA screening within the facility or exit through landside where you must go through CATSA screening via A/B or C Gates.

Itineraries ineligible for ITD/arriving outside ITD hours must clear Canada Customs on Level 2 and exit to landside. Ineligible passengers must pick up all checked bags unless explicitly stated by the airline's baggage customer service desk at YVR. You must re-check all baggage at the re-check station immediately after the carousel exit doors, or at the carrier's check-in counter in the domestic terminal on Level 3.

INTL -> TB(E) Connections
You may be eligible to use the TB Connections Facility if you arrived from eligible airlines such as, but not limited to, AC, WS, AF, KE, KL, LH, PR or WK between 0700-1900. It does not matter what airline you are travelling to the US as long as your check baggage(if any) are tagged to your final destination. If you are eligible, you do not have to clear Canada Customs and will only clear USCBP via the TB Connections Facility.

Eligible passengers may follow the signs to "USA Connections(E)" where an agent will check your next boarding pass or itinerary to ensure that you have a same-day(before 2030) TB connection. Note that the USCBP Pre-Clearance facility closes at 2030. If your flight is departing after 2030, you will be departing through D Gates and must clear USCBP at your destination.

If you do not have your onwards boarding pass, you can present your itinerary and pick up your boarding pass at the TB Connections airline assistance counter right before CATSA's TB Connection Security Checkpoint. There is a self-serve kiosk that can print out AC,WS,AA,AS,DL and UA boarding passes but YMMV due to the current COVID vaccine attestation rules to enter the US. AC/WS also typically have agents positioned there as well. If there is no agent/you're having difficulty printing your boarding pass via the self-serve kiosk, you can use the courtesy phone on the wall next to the self-serve kiosks with speed dials to carrier's check-in supervisors so they can dispatch an agent to verify your documents/print your boarding pass.

With an outbound boarding pass, you can be screened by CATSA. There is currently no Priority/GE/NEXUS/TSA PreCheck line due to lack of demand from COVID. Immediately after security, there are GE kiosks to print out a GE slip for GE/NEXUS members.

You'll then get your boarding pass scanned one more time to ensure that your checked baggage have been screened + scanned at YVR in preparation for USCBP inspection. If your bags do not have a scan, you'll be directed to wait in a seating area until your bags have been scanned at YVR. Afterwards, you may proceed for USCBP Pre-Clearance inspection. There is a separate line for TB CNX that is typically shorter than the originating USCBP line.

Itineraries ineligible for the TB Connections Facility or arriving before 0700/after 1900 must clear Canada Customs on Level 2 and proceed to TB landside check-in counters. Enter CATSA through the landside checkpoint. Passengers who are arriving from a non-TB Connection Facility participating carrier must pick up all checked bags unless explicitly stated by the airline's baggage customer service desk at YVR. You must re-check all baggage at the baggage drop off station right before the entrance to TB Landside CATSA Security on Level 3.

INTL -> INTL(D) Connections
Follow the signs for "International Connections(D)" and scan your passport on the Primary Inspection Kiosk. Present the kiosk receipt and BOTH arriving and departing boarding pass or itinerary to the agent to ensure that you have a same-day(before 0200) international connection. If you do not have your onwards boarding pass, you can present your itinerary and pick up your boarding pass at the gate. Note that gates are typically staffed 60 minutes before departure and there are no airline assistance counters in the International Departures Area(with the exception of AC via the MLL Lounge). Keep this in mind if you would like to use the lounge and cannot generate your departing boarding pass via OLCI.

If you are arriving from the US, EU Schengen Zone, UK, Australia or New Zealand, you do not have to re-clear security under the One Stop Security(OSS) agreements. However, you must present your arriving boarding pass to prove that you are eligible for the OSS program.

If you are arriving from outside these countries OR have misplaced your arriving boarding pass, you must go through security again. Security is done within the INTL CNX facility and you do not have to enter Canada.

All checked baggage will be transferred automatically no matter what as long as the checked baggage is tagged through properly to your final destination.

Once you pass the International Connections Facility, you may not backtrack and go through Canada Customs to exit to landside. You must remain in the International Departures Area(D Gates). Keep this in mind if you have a long layover and would like to enter Vancouver to sightsee.

Last edited by OccasionallyFlying; Oct 1, 2022 at 10:31 am Reason: Added additional ITD information
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Hyatt
MCT for trans border to international

Hi,

What would you say is the minimum connection time for a flight arriving from the US and then connecting onto an international flight? Is two hours enough?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turtle777
Hi,

What would you say is the minimum connection time for a flight arriving from the US and then connecting onto an international flight? Is two hours enough?
Once you get off your plane, it takes 2 minutes to complete connections formalities at the INTL -> INTL connection facility. The challenge here is getting on land at YVR in consideration to delays and such but once you’re standing on YVR carpet, it’ll take maximum 10 minutes to walk from your arrival gate to the International departures area.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Seems like JL recently became eligible for the ITD facility for connections to WS. NH is currently the only carrier arriving from Japan that is not eligible for the ITD Facility. This means that all pax arriving from NH must clear Canada Customs during the awful 11am INTL rush at YVR (1 hour+ customs delays without NEXUS), re-check all bags and clear security via the landside checkpoints. Keep this in mind when booking your post-COVID restrictions trip to Japan.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Came in from ICN the other day. What a wonderful and easy process compared to what it was back in May when everyone was shuffled down to the main customs hall. Took about 10min from getting in line to finishing security check. Most of the time was spent walking.
OccasionallyFlying likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
We've done ITD OSS when coming from the UK a couple of months ago. Fantastic improvement on the old system. But the fact that ANA to AC connections can't use the process, nor BA to WS, is disappointing. The one that's really needed is UA to AC.

Also I find it bizarre that all Mexico flights with participating airlines are eligible for ITD except for those coming from Mexico City.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Daimond
Hey there! I'm flying from Los Angeles to Vancouver and I would like to visit a Plaza Premium lounge before heading out into the city. I understand that YVR has a special terminal section for flights arriving from the USA. I was wondering if it's still possible to remain in the secure area of the airport after going through the Canadian border check when I arrive? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
No, you're dumped out unless you are connecting to another flight.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by crownedking
Hey there! I'm flying from Los Angeles to Vancouver and I would like to visit a Plaza Premium lounge before heading out into the city. I understand that YVR has a special terminal section for flights arriving from the USA. I was wondering if it's still possible to remain in the secure area of the airport after going through the Canadian border check when I arrive? Thanks in advance!
No special area when you arrive, it is lumped in with the rest of the international arrivals.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Daimond
Originally Posted by TheGreatTree
No special area when you arrive, it is lumped in with the rest of the international arrivals.
Thanks for the replies everyone. would I be able to use the International Connections (D gates) using the OSS kiosk and explain to the office I just want to visit the lounge? I would really like to use the benefits of my Credit card. This trip will be my first opportunity to use the lounge benefits.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies everyone. would I be able to use the International Connections (D gates) using the OSS kiosk and explain to the office I just want to visit the lounge? I would really like to use the benefits of my Credit card. This trip will be my first opportunity to use the lounge benefits.
Probably not w/o a BP for an int'l flight.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:43 pm

Can't use the connections lanes without an outbound boarding pass. Even if you did somehow manage to get through, you will not be let out from the international area back into the city.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 7:55 pm

Family members are doing a YYZ-YVR-HNL flight in a couple months with AC with checked bags. Anyone know whether they need to re-check their bags at YVR, or will their bags be transited directly to their final destination? Their departure times are all between 0700-1900 FWIW, and they do not have GE/Nexus.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aimango
Family members are doing a YYZ-YVR-HNL flight in a couple months with AC with checked bags. Anyone know whether they need to re-check their bags at YVR, or will their bags be transited directly to their final destination? Their departure times are all between 0700-1900 FWIW, and they do not have GE/Nexus.
Will/should be transferred. They have to go to US connections, go through security and then US immigration/customs. May have to wait for the bags to be transferred/scanned for the CBP officer to have a look (and retrieved if physical inspection is required). There was a board with part of pax name hat told you if the bag was ready and to proceed to US CBP.
aimango likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@OccasionallyFlying perhaps you might consider turning your awesome OP in to a wiki so that others could update it?

Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying
Immediately after security, there are GE kiosks to print out a GE slip for GE/NEXUS members.
Perhaps due to the rollout of new GE machines that's under way, this is no longer true. The machines in that little space between connections security and the US CBP hall are gone. When you go through into the main hall, you will come face-to-face with a sign that tells NEXUS/GE members to turn left and go to the desks. This lane merges with the passengers coming from the machines if they're originating at YVR.

This might lead one to believe that there's no need to use a GE machine, since one never really had an opportunity (especially if you come from YYC, where this same vintage of machine has been out of service for months, supposedly pending upgrade to one of the newer types in use at many US airports).

But ​​​​​​we got a bit of a lecture from a US CBP officer (roaming around between desks, so perhaps he was a supervisor) for not doing so. As counterintuitive as this might seem, we were told we should have walked around the sign that was definitely right in the middle of the path from connections security and swum upstream a bit to use the GE machines in the originating area.

They were friendly enough about it, so no problem for us in the end, but a more ornery CBP officer might have made life more difficult.

Crudely drawn diagram below in spoiler tag. Where the two arrows meet is where you would need to walk around the sign directing you to the desks and instead go to the GE machines, which would be just past that.
Spoiler

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 14, 2023 at 2:53 pm Reason: Add diagram

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.