Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward

YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward

Old Jul 16, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
When you go through into the main hall, you will come face-to-face with a sign that tells NEXUS/GE members to turn left and go to the desks. This lane merges with the passengers coming from the machines if they're originating at YVR.

This might lead one to believe that there's no need to use a GE machine, since one never really had an opportunity.

As counterintuitive as this might seem, we were told we should have walked around the sign that was definitely right in the middle of the path from connections security and swum upstream a bit to use the GE machines in the originating area.

Crudely drawn diagram below in spoiler tag. Where the two arrows meet is where you would need to walk around the sign directing you to the desks and instead go to the GE machines, which would be just past that.
What a timely update! I was just looking at itineraries with YVR connections. To clarify, is this the process for Nexus/GE coming off an international flight?
  1. Go through Transborder connections. Wait for them to clear your bags, if necessary, and then go through security.
  2. Go past the Nexus/GE sign to the machines, which are straight ahead (in other words, towards the bottom right of your diagram).
  3. Backtrack to the sign.
  4. Follow the sign's directions to the Nexus/GE desks on the left (between the red arrow and your US CBP caption?)
Open question to anyone: Is the process pretty easy for inexperienced travelers? The through-checked bag would be a huge plus over a US connection, as they'll definitely struggle with baggage claim and re-check at US gateways. US to international seems even smoother, with just customs and no security.
Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2023, 8:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tennen
What a timely update! I was just looking at itineraries with YVR connections. To clarify, is this the process for Nexus/GE coming off an international flight?
The process I described and the diagram are for domestic to TB connections. Coming in from an international flight, if you're on one ticket with through-checked bags, there's a sterile INTL-TB connections path, but I'm not sure whether it dumps you out at the same security station or whether it has its own. Maybe [MENTION=258072]D582[/MENTION], [MENTION=904004]recreationaltimetraveller[/MENTION], or [MENTION=599574]canadiancow[/MENTION] would know.
Tennen likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: LH SEN
The process I described and the diagram are for domestic to TB connections. Coming in from an international flight, if you're on one ticket with through-checked bags, there's a sterile INTL-TB connections path, but I'm not sure whether it dumps you out at the same security station or whether it has its own. Maybe [MENTION=258072]D582[/MENTION], [MENTION=904004]recreationaltimetraveller[/MENTION], or [MENTION=599574]canadiancow[/MENTION] would know.
It's the same path.

In the diagram you posted in post #15, the escalator in the top left and lift in the middle left are where you come down from the international transfer gangway and join the TB transfer security.
Tennen and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Just to make sure as sometimes US to CA is named Transborder vs International

Coming from PHX on AC and connecting to MUC on LH
> is this all in the international terminal (aka just a document/boarding pass check)?

If it matters business tickets - both legs on the same ticket - EU passport - US residency card - TSA Pre / GE / Clear and hand luggage only

Last edited by blitzen; Aug 11, 2023 at 3:59 pm
Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
More of int'l to int'l as arrivals from the U.S. are not really segregated from int'l arrivals. You've got the procedure right if the connection is open; go to the transfer facility. It's more than a simple doc check as that's reportedly where/how the whole HuaWei/Two Michaels blowup started.
blitzen likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
INTL and TRANSBORDER

Arrivals are all international, there is no segregation for US arrivals.

Departures are:
1 Domestic to Canadian destination
2 TRANSBORDER to US, CBP cleared for US entry pre-departure.
3 International - everywhere else
There are distinct holding departure area for the three groups.
blitzen likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheGreatTree
Can't use the connections lanes without an outbound boarding pass. Even if you did somehow manage to get through, you will not be let out from the international area back into the city.
if you are in the international departure area, your airlines can help you exit to customs to leave the airside. This being said, this may only work if your next flight is AC and you are able to use MLL. Most other airlines will not have agents available to help you until the flight is about to leave.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
More of int'l to int'l as arrivals from the U.S. are not really segregated from int'l arrivals. You've got the procedure right if the connection is open; go to the transfer facility. It's more than a simple doc check as that's reportedly where/how the whole HuaWei/Two Michaels blowup started.
Thanks. Looking at the PHX-VYR history it it was max delayed by 30 something minutes reducing the connection time from 1h 30min to a few minutes less than 1h > as the MCT is 1h that should be doable I hope
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
Thanks. Looking at the PHX-VYR history it it was max delayed by 30 something minutes reducing the connection time from 1h 30min to a few minutes less than 1h > as the MCT is 1h that should be doable I hope
Assuming it's all open, 10-15 minutes most of which will be walking + security.
blitzen likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Flying LAX - YVR on AC, and then transferring to a PR flight YVR - MNL

Being as these are separate tickets and we will have to collect our luggage, would a scheduled 2hrs 50min between flights be cutting it too close?

I have never transited through YVR and I am not sure what the usual immigration times are. We will be arriving in YVR around 8PM
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:52 pm

Would HKG-YVR-YYZ qualify for ITD? Reading the above, it seems not, but AC is happy to sell a connection of just a little over an hour! Not sure if that's even a realistic transfer if I need to line up at immigration with everyone else.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 11:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Would HKG-YVR-YYZ qualify for ITD? Reading the above, it seems not, but AC is happy to sell a connection of just a little over an hour! Not sure if that's even a realistic transfer if I need to line up at immigration with everyone else.
As of late 2022, HKG was on the list of approved origins for ITD OSS at YVR, if connecting AC to AC. Standard MCT for I-D connections on AC metal at YVR is 1:10, which includes both OSS and non-OSS origins. So I wouldn't read too much in to that. But there's a good chance you'll have OSS, and even if you don't, your bags should at least be checked through, and if you end up missing your connection, there are lots of other flights to YYZ.
hkskyline likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:57 pm

As of late 2022, HKG was on the list of approved origins for ITD OSS at YVR, if connecting AC to AC. Standard MCT for I-D connections on AC metal at YVR is 1:10, which includes both OSS and non-OSS origins. So I wouldn't read too much in to that. But there's a good chance you'll have OSS, and even if you don't, your bags should at least be checked through, and if you end up missing your connection, there are lots of other flights to YYZ.
Thanks. Reporting back that I made it through with plenty of time to spare. Not many were actually transiting to domestic connections off AC8, and shortly after entering the terminal, signs pointed to the special area for Canada connections. There were 2 open immigration counters and I didn't have to wait in line to get processed. Then it is a long walk to security and another long walk back to the domestic air-side pier. A lot of walking overall but it was all seamless and I didn't need to retrieve my checked bags.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, BAEC Bronze
Flying on BA on the first week of January from LHR-YEG through YVR. BA85 lands at 19:25 and the WS to YEG departs at 21:15 and it's all under the same booking. Unless BA decides to BA around (delay or screw with baggages), should I just do the same "follow the signs to arrivals, clear customs, collect baggages, walk to the domestic pier and drop them off again" procedure? Or do I have to not worry about retrieving baggages upon arrival at YVR. Is 1:50 sufficient enough? I'd hope they'd offer an overnight accommodation at YVR incase I miss my next flight
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Seems there's no 2023 edition of this thread. Anyway, I'm considering a 1h54m connection YYZ-YVR-SEA on separate tickets on Christmas Eve. No checked bags (carry-on only) with Global Entry. Would I be crazy to do this?

YYZ-YVR on AC121 arriving 19:01
YVR-SEA on AC8810 departing 20:55

I could adjust my inbound from AC121 to AC119 arriving 18:29 but then I run greater risk of misconnecting I-D (1h35m) in YYZ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.