Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward

YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward

Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: AC SE
Yes. There is always some risk, but that is tons (assuming your first flight is relatively on time).
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:53 am

Programs: CX Gold
I failed to mention that I’m holding a Philippine passport, which might take longer to clear immigration?

How far will be the AC check in from international baggage claim?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by boybi
I failed to mention that Iím holding a Philippine passport, which might take longer to clear immigration?

How far will be the AC check in from international baggage claim?
If this is one single ticket:
  • you should not need to collect your luggage.
  • in case of a misconnect, there are frequent flights to YYC.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:29 am

Related question--I'm arriving on air France business class with a 2 hour 15 min connection to Alaska flight to Seattle. Is this enough time? I will have checked bags, but I do have global entry and precheck (as well as biz class on incoming flight for quicker deplaning). I had a longer connection originally, but Alaska changed the flight.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by turgutbey
Is this enough time?
Yes. More than enough.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
For some reason today ITD OSS boarding passes had to go through screening, instead of bypassing it. (Came in from LAX) Had to throw out the bottle of water Iíd forgotten was in my bag since I canít remember last time I did screening after departing the USÖ

Feel like it might have been just to slow down the flow of people as the escalator was out of service and you can only for a few people at a time in the elevatorÖ
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:58 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Why have they built that barrier around the international departures zone and have someone from CATSA checking tickets before security?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:56 am

I asked on the CX forum but no responses, will try here.

Flying CX ticketed flight HKG-YVR-YYC. HKG-YVR will be on CX metal whilst YVR-YYC will be on either AC or WS (still confirming flights) but will be booked via CX on a single ticket. I will need to overnight in YVR due to connection times. Can I check if my luggage will be checked all the way through to YYC or will I have to collect it in YVR and then re-check it the next day? Thanks in advance
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Vancouver 5.5 hours layover /PPL worth it?

Arriving in YVR at 11:48 on AC 107 from Toronto YYZ and leaving at 17:20 to Honolulu on AC 519.
I beleive we have to do US Immigration.
Can we stay airside?
How long will take to clear security/imigration and what's there to do for the rest of the time. Estimating about 4.5 hours with nothing planned to do yet. Is the Plaza Lounge worth it (price vs what it offers)? I don't think I can get MLL access or day passes unless someone is willing to give away two. They may not even be transmisible.
Any suggestions, advices or ideas are highly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:18 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Connecting to the US in Vancouver is relatively painless. Once you arrive in YVR you will have to go through security again (US govt requirement) then pre-clear US customs. At mid-day the lines are usually pretty short. If you have checked baggage, it will be transferred for you. See AC's connections page for further details.

Plaza lounges aren't bad, but probably not worth the cost. It has been a while since I've been in one, but I seem to think it's around $35 Canadian per person? You could have a couple of drinks and much better food anywhere in the terminal for the same money or less. Quite frankly, the MLL is no better.

Your layover is a little awkward in that it's not really enough time to go downtown and do anything. If you just want to get out of the airport for a bit, consider taking a taxi to the Flying Beaver Restaurant, which is located near the South Terminal about 10 minutes away. The food's nothing special, it's decent pub grub but they have very nice views of the Fraser River and the seaplanes taking off and landing. It's a good time, and a bit of a Vancouver institution to some people. You should have ample time to enjoy a nice lunch, then taxi back to the main airport terminal.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Thank you. If I stay in the airport, is this transfer airside or I have to exit and then go back in?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
If you don't want to taxi anywhere, exit landside and go up to the Jetside Lounge for a nice lunch and some plane watching at the Fairmont YVR hotel. It is right in the terminal and literally right above the US gates. Down the escalator and straight into CATSA and US CBP when you are done. Or take the Skytrain from YVR two stops to Templeton and have a wander around the McArthur Glen Designer Outlet shops. The Skytrain is free to Templeton (use a contactless card or select a Sea Island Only ticket at the kiosks) and takes just a coupe, of minutes to get there.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:46 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Similar question, my flights are on different tickets: CX MNL-HKG-YVR and AC YVR-YYC, can my luggages be checked through to YYC?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by ticu
Thank you. If I stay in the airport, is this transfer airside or I have to exit and then go back in?
Entirely airside. Just follow the "Connections" signs.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 29, 2024 at 7:54 am Reason: Not needed after merge
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:16 am

What does TB stand for?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.