Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm thinking about a quick trip up to Whistler from Seattle, spending probably <48 hours in Canada.

I have a few questions as it relates to if I get selected for random arrival test.
1). Are all random arrival tests at land borders (eg, Peace Arch) take-home kit that you do within 24hours? In other words, it's possible to not have to quarantine the first ~20hours after arrival under any circumstances?
2). I understand that you use some type of app to schedule a video appointment within 24hours of arrival where they watch you do the self-test. Are these video appointments available abundantly, or is it pretty slim picking? Are appointments available as late as 6 or 7pm at night?
3). Is there an authorized sample drop off centre in Whistler? I see that there is a Fedex office in Whistler, but are all Fedex offices authorized drop off sites?
4). Just want to confirm that you're allowed to leave Canada before the results come back.

Thanks a lot!
1) I’ve read of people being asked to do a test at the border because their test results weren’t acceptable. Don’t recall the specifics though s seemed there were some odd circumstances. For the random tests, as far as I know, you aren’t required to quarantine, just complete the test within 24 hours of entry.
2) I’ve only had to do it once and there were plenty of appointments available every 10 mins. I think they started at 7:30 and went to early evening, but don’t recall exact times.
3) You can arrange for FedEx to pick it up or drop it off at a FedEx drop box. iIRC Shoppers drug mart is another place you could drop it off (and even do the test if you can’t/don’t want to do it via video
4) Yes, no restrictions there. Left the next afternoon (probably around the time the lab was receiving the sample) and got the results via email a couple of days later at home in WA.
evergrn likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by samplat
1) I’ve read of people being asked to do a test at the border because their test results weren’t acceptable. Don’t recall the specifics though s seemed there were some odd circumstances. For the random tests, as far as I know, you aren’t required to quarantine, just complete the test within 24 hours of entry.
2) I’ve only had to do it once and there were plenty of appointments available every 10 mins. I think they started at 7:30 and went to early evening, but don’t recall exact times.
3) You can arrange for FedEx to pick it up or drop it off at a FedEx drop box. iIRC Shoppers drug mart is another place you could drop it off (and even do the test if you can’t/don’t want to do it via video
4) Yes, no restrictions there. Left the next afternoon (probably around the time the lab was receiving the sample) and got the results via email a couple of days later at home in WA.
That's very helpful, thank you!
So even if you're selected and they give you the test kit, you can just ditch the kit and choose to go get swabbed at Shoppers Drug Mart the next day in Whistler?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:25 pm

So even if you're selected and they give you the test kit, you can just ditch the kit and choose to go get swabbed at Shoppers Drug Mart the next day in Whistler?
i don’t think you can just ditch the kit. The instructions that came with it had guidance on what to do if you aren’t able to do the test online (e.g. no internet connection, etc.) and that had a blurb about being able to do it at Shopper drug mart. I don’t remember all the details but presuming you’d need to take the kit there and see if they could supervise the test for you etc.

i think the kit given was from Lifelabs. I think there’s also kits by SwitchHealth. Don’t know which ones are being used these days but you may be able to Google their website & FAQs to get a better idea of procedures.

Last edited by samplat; Jan 6, 2022 at 8:25 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
i don’t think you can just ditch the kit.
I was just thinking about that, and agree that sounds like a very bad idea

Pretty sure it's a PCR test that Gov't requires, and probably the specific one that they hand out. I would not risk it
samplat likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:32 pm

i don’t think you can just ditch the kit. The instructions that came with it had guidance on what to do if you aren’t able to do the test online (e.g. no internet connection, etc.) and that had a blurb about being able to do it at Shopper drug mart. I don’t remember all the details but presuming you’d need to take the kit there and see if they could supervise the test for you etc.

i think the kit given was from Lifelabs. I think there’s also kits by SwitchHealth. Don’t know which ones are being used these days but you may be able to Google their website & FAQs to get a better idea of procedures.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I was just thinking about that, and agree that sounds like a very bad idea

Pretty sure it's a PCR test that Gov't requires, and probably the specific one that they hand out. I would not risk it
Got it.
Thanks again!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Got it.
Thanks again!
The ones given in Quebec is run by Dynacare and the questions their site ask for when did you arrive, which port of entry and the the travel document you entered Canada with. Wouldn't be hard for CBSA to cross reference their entry records with test provider details and figure out individuals not testing as instructed..
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:03 pm

Came back to Canada around New Year's Eve at the Thousand Islands crossing and I was given the Switch Health kit. Pretty simple to do that same night but shipping holidays meant that it wouldn't be picked up by Purolator until Jan 4. It arrived at the lab on Jan 5 but still no result

At this rate, any result will be pointless. A rapid or NAAT test performed at the border would be a lot more efficient.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:45 am

Crossed over via Peace Arch this weekend and one person in the vehicle was selected for random testing. BC uses the Lifelabs kit. Here’s the box and instructional flyer for those curious.

Plenty of same day appointments available so took care of it as soon as we got to our destination and dropped it off at a nearby Shoppers Drug Mart. Lifelabs asks you to set up an account first and you need a kit ID in order to setup an appointment for video testing. For dropoff, had to fill out a form at Shoppers.

Lifelabs Kit box

EmailKid and evergrn like this.

Last edited by samplat; Jan 9, 2022 at 10:52 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:21 am

Thanks for posting the pictures!
If I do go, I’ll probably be crossing the border around 6pm but would like to be on the slopes at 8.30am the next day. Hopefully there’ll be appointments available either past 6pm or before 8.30am.
samplat likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:35 am

Apologies if this has been covered upthread, but what happens at a land border point of entry if I show up with a negative PCR test dated three days prior that does not include a precise time that the test was taken? My state (Vermont) does few PCR testing but the results letter does not include a time the sample was taken or the time the results were generated.

Will Canada reject the letter on the basis that it only proves that I had a negative test three days prior to my arrival, rather than 72 hours prior to arrival? I'm a fully vaccinated and boosted Canadian citizen who resides in the US, if that matters.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jkirk
Apologies if this has been covered upthread, but what happens at a land border point of entry if I show up with a negative PCR test dated three days prior that does not include a precise time that the test was taken? My state (Vermont) does few PCR testing but the results letter does not include a time the sample was taken or the time the results were generated.

Will Canada reject the letter on the basis that it only proves that I had a negative test three days prior to my arrival, rather than 72 hours prior to arrival? I'm a fully vaccinated and boosted Canadian citizen who resides in the US, if that matters.
Take a look at Rapid Diagnostic ID NOW at Walgreens. That test contains sample date/time and turns around next day but in practice results are provided between 30 minutes to 6 hours.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Take a look at Rapid Diagnostic ID NOW at Walgreens. That test contains sample date/time and turns around next day but in practice results are provided between 30 minutes to 6 hours.
Yes, I understand that's an option, and one I have used in the past, but it's not the question I was asking. There is only Walgreens within a reasonable distance from me and it offers very few appointments for ID Now, and those appointments go quickly.

My question was whether Canadian border officials will accept a PCR test that shows a date three days prior to arrival, but does not show a time that the test was taken.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:28 am
Original Member

Yes, I understand that's an option, and one I have used in the past, but it's not the question I was asking. There is only Walgreens within a reasonable distance from me and it offers very few appointments for ID Now, and those appointments go quickly.

My question was whether Canadian border officials will accept a PCR test that shows a date three days prior to arrival, but does not show a time that the test was taken.
Have you checked Walgreens recently?

Appointments readily available within 48 hours and some even next day for ID NOW at most Walgreens offering ID NOW in VT and bordering states. It was pretty difficult to get an appointment about 3 weeks ago but that doesn’t seem to be case anymore.

CBSA site and ArriveCAN are very clear on what the requirements are.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...try-vaccinated

Even if you find someone here stating there were able to get in with a test matching your question, it doesn’t mean the CBSA officer you encounter will allow for it.

I recommend getting a test that meet published requirements instead of trying to find out if someone was successful at skirting/negotiating around those requirements because chances are it would be useless at gaining entry unless you happen to encounter the same misinformed CBSA agent.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Have you checked Walgreens recently?

Appointments readily available within 48 hours and some even next day for ID NOW at most Walgreens offering ID NOW in VT and bordering states. It was pretty difficult to get an appointment about 3 weeks ago but that doesn’t seem to be case anymore.
Yeah thanks, but this just isn't accurate. None of the Walgreens in the southern half of the state, where I am, offer ID Now. West Lebanon, NH is the closest Walgreens to me that does offer ID Now and it is currently showing no appointments available. If anyone has experience with the actual scenario I described, I'd be grateful for their insight.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:29 am
Original Member

Yeah thanks, but this just isn't accurate. None of the Walgreens in the southern half of the state, where I am, offer ID Now. West Lebanon, NH is the closest Walgreens to me that does offer ID Now and it is currently showing no appointments available. If anyone has experience with the actual scenario I described, I'd be grateful for their insight.
Walgreens open up their reservations at 12:01AM Eastern. So if you login FEB 6 12:01AM Eastern, you'll get your pick of ID NOW reservations for FEB 9 as well as any openings left for days prior to FEB 9. There might still be FEB 9 slots left if you login FEB 6 7-9AM. Are Cambridge NY or Milford NH comparable in distance to West Lebanon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.