Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
I am planning my cross-border shopping trip to Bellingham for this weekend, will be nostalgic to be stuck in border lineups again
Me too, but going to Niagara Falls, NY on Saturday...I wonder how busy the bridge is going to be.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I am planning my cross-border shopping trip to Bellingham for this weekend, will be nostalgic to be stuck in border lineups again
Originally Posted by LNahid2000
Me too, but going to Niagara Falls, NY on Saturday...I wonder how busy the bridge is going to be.
Looking forward to reading trip reports
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Looking forward to reading trip reports
I’m going to/from Buffalo tomorrow and will report.

DELETE. BUF flight cancelled now flying directly into YYZ.
TheCanuckian likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Apr 1, 2022 at 6:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:15 pm

Went today and had a successful shopping trip! Got to the Rainbow Bridge at 10:30am and the line of cars was already to the Canadian side. Took about 40 minutes to get across, but it was just like pre-COVID.

The way back was completely different. There were only 6 cars in front of me so I thought it would be super quick, but the border guard was spending like 10 minutes with each car. I thought for sure that I would be "random" tested since almost everyone in front of me was getting a yellow slip. It ended up taking 40 minutes to go through 7 cars.

When I got to the front the border guard asked me for my passport and nothing else. It was also really odd that they asked you to put your mask on before talking to you. He didn't ask for the ArriveCan QR code or proof of vaccination but he spent like 5 minutes looking at things on his computer and then let me through.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
It was also really odd that they asked you to put your mask on before talking to you.

My daughter crossed the other day and mentioned this as well. It seems to be a relatively new thing that they insist on masking when talking to the guard.

He didn't ask for the ArriveCan QR code or proof of vaccination
Because he sees that information on his screen when he scans your passport.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: AP 35K
As I originally shared in a now-deleted post, I started my Saturday by noticing a screw in one of my tires during my pre-trip check. Headed to Costco and was there before opening, and was on my way at 9:45 AM.

For some inexplicable reason, I decided to go through Peace Arch rather than my usual Pacific Highway, and it was a terrible decision. NEXUS line was longer than the regular line (only two lanes vs five for non-NEXUS, although a third one opened by the time we got to the border agent), and as expected, got sent inside to get a new I-94.

This is where Pacific Highway is so much better than Peace Arch: while there was a "NEXUS" line inside, it was absolute chaos. Agents were ignoring our line so it was down to "cutting" people off whenever an agent said "next". After about an hour, I finally got my I-94.

Time in the US was pretty nice, got to buy a bunch of stuff at Trader Joe's, Costco, Target, outlets, and of course cheap gas. We filled our ArriveCAN form while having dinner and we were back at Peace Arch at around 11:00 PM. NEXUS lanes were already closed by then (I thought they would still be closing at midnight like before but that wasn't the case), but they didn't put out any cones, so people were taking the NEXUS lane and then doing a weird u-turn to get back to the regular lanes. After waiting for about 15 minutes in line, it was our turn, we handed our NEXUS cards to the agent, got asked where's home and how much we had purchased while down there, whether we were importing any tobacco or alcohol, got our cards back and waved through. I wasn't randomly selected for COVID test.

All in all, it was nice to be back, and I will for sure take advantage of the 6 months I have with my new I-94 .
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Is everything back to normal at the land crossings? US citizen traveling BUF-CAN-BUF (staying 1 week in Canada). Besides vaccination cards, do I need anything else?

Thank you
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Is everything back to normal at the land crossings? US citizen traveling BUF-CAN-BUF (staying 1 week in Canada). Besides vaccination cards, do I need anything else?

Thank you
You need to fill the ArriveCan app before crossing, otherwise it is back to normal.
bwiadca likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
You need to fill the ArriveCan app before crossing, otherwise it is back to normal.
Thank you Happy to hear that everything is slowly getting back to normal.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Time in the US was pretty nice, got to buy a bunch of stuff at Trader Joe's, Costco, Target, outlets, and of course cheap gas. We filled our ArriveCAN form while having dinner and we were back at Peace Arch at around 11:00 PM. NEXUS lanes were already closed by then (I thought they would still be closing at midnight like before but that wasn't the case), but they didn't put out any cones, so people were taking the NEXUS lane and then doing a weird u-turn to get back to the regular lanes.
CBSA NEXUS schedule
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex....html#where-ou

Looks like it is open 0700-1900.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
He didn't ask for the ArriveCan QR code or proof of vaccination but he spent like 5 minutes looking at things on his computer and then let me through.
I've been told that the agents see the ArriveCan info automatically because it's tied to your passport number. I've yet to be asked by someone at the border fr it.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Quick question please. My dad is flying LHR-YYZ next week then driving back home to Detroit via Windsor. He won’t need a Covid test when he lands at Toronto and neither at US customs after he drives through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel correct?

thank you
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:03 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Quick question please. My dad is flying LHR-YYZ next week then driving back home to Detroit via Windsor. He won’t need a Covid test when he lands at Toronto and neither at US customs after he drives through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel correct?
As long as he's vaxxed, correct.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:34 am

Went today and had a successful shopping trip! Got to the Rainbow Bridge at 10:30am and the line of cars was already to the Canadian side. Took about 40 minutes to get across, but it was just like pre-COVID.

The way back was completely different. There were only 6 cars in front of me so I thought it would be super quick, but the border guard was spending like 10 minutes with each car. I thought for sure that I would be "random" tested since almost everyone in front of me was getting a yellow slip. It ended up taking 40 minutes to go through 7 cars.

When I got to the front the border guard asked me for my passport and nothing else. It was also really odd that they asked you to put your mask on before talking to you. He didn't ask for the ArriveCan QR code or proof of vaccination but he spent like 5 minutes looking at things on his computer and then let me through.
Why's he handing out yellow slips rather than test kits? Does this mean they have on-site testing now or does it mean folks have to pull over to obtain a test kit?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Land border crossing — planning a crossing shortly. Nexus-only bridge Niagara area. Do I have to use Nexus as the ID on my ArriveCan submission or will passport suffice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.