Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
From what I’ve read if you test positive you must self isolate not quarantine with anyone else.
The fine details notwithstanding I'd rather be positive in Canada and sweating it out than in a foreign country.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
My friend and I passed through the border through St. Armand/Highgate Springs. The paperwork part went fine and they accepted my printed Walgreens rapid NAAT (ID Now) and everything. The officer kept asking me about my citizenship even though he was literally holding my US passport. He didn’t realize there were next-gen passports and was like “what the hell” looking at it. I explained they only started rolling out recently.

He gave us two covid test kits and said we were both randomly selected. He gave us a yellow ticket and told us to park instead of going to the testing tent. At this point we thought they were making us wait to go to the tent.

Turns out it had nothing to do with covid at all. Two officers came out and questioned us hard. They didn’t like the fact that we’re both freelancers and I was only staying five days while he was staying in Quebec City for a month. We answered everything truthfully but also went through all our things. One officer kept claiming she was “confused” by my story and kept asking why I was the one renting the car and not my friend since he lives in Vermont and not me. Which is like, what the hell.

He’s also supposed to go France from Quebec City and kept hassling him to show proof. He didn’t have internet on his phone (no international roaming) so he used my phone to look up the ticket and that’s when they let us go. She also asked me what I planned to do with the car coming back to Vermont, and I said I’ll drop it off at the airport and return to Denver.

I know supposedly there’s some sort of point to these questions but this was ridiculous and the most humiliating border experience since I came to the US the first time ever as an 18-year-old international student. I’m hoping to go to Europe in Nov and I really hope they don’t also take issue with my freelancing or scrutinize things too much for our own good. Do I have to come up with a full itinerary for going to Europe too it order to satisfy them or do I have to bleach my skin instead and change my name to an English one?

The testing part was ok though it took time to register the online profile. The Dyna whatever the hell asked us to enter an address to quarantine and the lady in charge insisted we had to enter our home addresses in the US. But there was no option to choose a different country. Even the Google addresses bar only showed addresses in Canada when I tried typing my US address as per her order.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nayef
My friend and I passed through the border through St. Armand/Highgate Springs. The paperwork part went fine and they accepted my printed Walgreens rapid NAAT (ID Now) and everything. The officer kept asking me about my citizenship even though he was literally holding my US passport. He didn’t realize there were next-gen passports and was like “what the hell” looking at it. I explained they only started rolling out recently.

He gave us two covid test kits and said we were both randomly selected. He gave us a yellow ticket and told us to park instead of going to the testing tent. At this point we thought they were making us wait to go to the tent.

Turns out it had nothing to do with covid at all. Two officers came out and questioned us hard. They didn’t like the fact that we’re both freelancers and I was only staying five days while he was staying in Quebec City for a month. We answered everything truthfully but also went through all our things. One officer kept claiming she was “confused” by my story and kept asking why I was the one renting the car and not my friend since he lives in Vermont and not me. Which is like, what the hell.

He’s also supposed to go France from Quebec City and kept hassling him to show proof. He didn’t have internet on his phone (no international roaming) so he used my phone to look up the ticket and that’s when they let us go. She also asked me what I planned to do with the car coming back to Vermont, and I said I’ll drop it off at the airport and return to Denver.

I know supposedly there’s some sort of point to these questions but this was ridiculous and the most humiliating border experience since I came to the US the first time ever as an 18-year-old international student. I’m hoping to go to Europe in Nov and I really hope they don’t also take issue with my freelancing or scrutinize things too much for our own good. Do I have to come up with a full itinerary for going to Europe too it order to satisfy them or do I have to bleach my skin instead and change my name to an English one?

The testing part was ok though it took time to register the online profile. The Dyna whatever the hell asked us to enter an address to quarantine and the lady in charge insisted we had to enter our home addresses in the US. But there was no option to choose a different country. Even the Google addresses bar only showed addresses in Canada when I tried typing my US address as per her order.
Had a similar experience back in August. Maybe CBSA officers have too much time on their hands due to lower amount of travelers coming across. They asked why I rented a vehicle instead of driving my own vehicle to which I replied I didn't want to put mileage on it. While the answers to the question will be used against you, a significant purpose of questioning is observing your body language.

Yes, a secondary is humiliating as it is essentially stating the primary officer didn't fully trust you but they're just doing their job. CBSA is primarily interested in working in Canada without a permit and narcotics.

Like ArriveCAN, the test kit is expecting a Canadian address where a Purolator courier will come to pickup the test sample. You have to do the test within 24 hours of arrival into Canada.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 26, 2021 at 6:56 am
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by seawolf

Like ArriveCAN, the test kit is expecting a Canadian address where a Purolator courier will come to pickup the test sample. You have to do the test within 24 hours of arrival into Canada.
They had us do the test then and there at a tent and made us create accounts with that company and immediately took the sample. Said the result would be out in 3-4 days so I might be back in the US before the result even comes out.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by i0wnj00
I'm still debating if running around VT to find a place to get a test is worth the quick trip I want to do for some shopping in the 10/30 mall. Luckily, I will be visiting family up in VT so I have time to think about it but I noticed that there are very few places to get tested in VT. I took a peak inside the ArriveCAN portal and it seems fairly easy to fill out, other than my quarantine plan because I'm not sticking around for more than 1-2 hours. I go up, get my stuff and return to where I will be staying in VT.
Ended up taking a day trip to Montreal for some quick shopping.
Took the covid 19 PCR test at Kinney's on Oct 29, and got the results on Oct 30.
I had trouble answering the questions related to the quarantine in the ArriveCAN app because I was only going be there for a quick trip so I did the best I could. I ended up getting a "I" and "Q" for my receipt.

I entered through the St-Armand/Philipsburg checkpoint and the CBSA officer asked the usual questions and took my Passport Card and test results. I was asked if I had the code, to which I answered "Yes". I presented my phone so he can verify it but, the hand with my phone was left hanging out the drivers side window since he didn't bother with it.

There was no discussion of my quarantine plan, about my recent trip to Mexico, nor was I sent to secondary for any reason. I was not asked for my CDC card even though I had it.

A few years ago I got sent to secondary at this checkpoint and it was a terrible experience. I have passed through this checkpoint many times and the one near Richford, VT in the past. I think I know why I was sent to secondary the last time I went through.

The 20 min line at the Highgate Springs, VT checkpoint on return to the USA was mainly filled with cars with Vermont plates (including the one I borrowed from a family member). Not many people from Massachusetts as it was before pre-covid, probably because of the requirement for the covid 19 testing to enter Canada and trying to time it right.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Oct 31, 2021 at 4:30 pm
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by i0wnj00
Ended up taking a day trip to Montreal for some quick shopping.
Took the covid 19 PCR test at Kinney's on Oct 29, and got the results on Oct 30.
I had trouble answering the questions related to the quarantine in the ArriveCAN app because I was only going be there for a quick trip so I did the best I could. I ended up getting a "I" and "Q" for my receipt.

I entered through the St-Armand/Philipsburg checkpoint and the CBSA officer asked the usual questions and took my Passport Card and test results. I was asked if I had the code, to which I answered "Yes". I presented my phone so he can verify it but, the hand with my phone was left hanging out the drivers side window since he didn't bother with it.

There was no discussion of my quarantine plan, about my recent trip to Mexico, nor was I sent to secondary for any reason. I was not asked for my CDC card even though I had it.

A few years ago I got sent to secondary at this checkpoint and it was a terrible experience. I have passed through this checkpoint many times and the one near Richford, VT in the past. I think I know why I was sent to secondary the last time I went through.

The 20 min line at the Highgate Springs, VT checkpoint on return to the USA was mainly filled with cars with Vermont plates (including the one I borrowed from a family member). Not many people from Massachusetts as it was before pre-covid, probably because of the requirement for the covid 19 testing to enter Canada and trying to time it right.
CBSA doesn't need the ArriveCAN code. They can lookup based on the travel documentation you entered into ArriveCAN (assuming it is the same one you presented at the border). Image of the vaccination proof will come up from ArriveCAN. They may ask you to show the test results as that is not in ArriveCAN.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
CBSA doesn't need the ArriveCAN code. They can lookup based on the travel documentation you entered into ArriveCAN (assuming it is the same one you presented at the border). Image of the vaccination proof will come up from ArriveCAN. They may ask you to show the test results as that is not in ArriveCAN.
This has been my experience crossing into Canada via the Peace Arch crossing, on the way to Vancouver. They’ve never asked to see the ArriveCan code but always ask to see the covid test results and enter them in the system.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:25 pm

Yes, the one time I was asked for my ArriveCAN receipt is when I used my Passport as ID in the app but entered the country with Nexus card. If the ID I enter in the app matches what I enter on, they seem to have it pull up automatically.

Makes me wonder why they don't let you upload test results through the app as well. One would think it would make things easier all around.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Random data point: in ArriveCAN I said I will enter Canada at Peace Bridge. When I drove by the traffic was insane, the line started on I-190. Proceeded to drive to Whirlpool Rapids Bridge where I was the only car. So even if you put in a different entry point the agent didn't seem to have an issue with that.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:51 am
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Hi everyone,

Planning to drive from Seattle to Vancouver next week, most likely through Peach Arch. Has anyone gone through there recently?

If you are selected for a random arrival Covid test, do they give you a take-home test or do you have to do it at the border? (We have not been outside the US in the past 14 days).

Thank you!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by txp
Hi everyone,

Planning to drive from Seattle to Vancouver next week, most likely through Peach Arch. Has anyone gone through there recently?

If you are selected for a random arrival Covid test, do they give you a take-home test or do you have to do it at the border? (We have not been outside the US in the past 14 days).

Thank you!
I've done that trip a few times, most recently last weekend. They gave out home test kits to everyone on one of the trips (saw the same for cars ahead of us). You have to schedule the test online and then connect with a video call so they can monitor the test through to sealing the item in the shipping box. Took 5 mins to schedule and then 10-12 mins for the actual test the next day. You drop it off at fedex for delivery. The test has to be done within 24 hours. The test was picked up on a Monday and we were back before the results came in. All in all, it was pretty straight forward.

Safe travels!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:53 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by samplat
I've done that trip a few times, most recently last weekend. They gave out home test kits to everyone on one of the trips (saw the same for cars ahead of us). You have to schedule the test online and then connect with a video call so they can monitor the test through to sealing the item in the shipping box. Took 5 mins to schedule and then 10-12 mins for the actual test the next day. You drop it off at fedex for delivery. The test has to be done within 24 hours. The test was picked up on a Monday and we were back before the results came in. All in all, it was pretty straight forward.

Safe travels!
Thank you very much, this is very useful. I am familiar with the do-it-yourself test kit. I received one like that in July when I drove from NY to Montreal. In fact, I much prefer it over the in-person testing. I appreciate your reply.
samplat likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Data point (US citizen): drove from Detroit to Windsor this morning, and was expecting to be selected for testing as I had traveled outside the US within the last 14 days. Surprisingly, the officer didn't mention it and I was waved through after showing PCR results.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:49 pm

questions about random Covid test selection / Whistler

I'm thinking about a quick trip up to Whistler from Seattle, spending probably <48 hours in Canada.

I have a few questions as it relates to if I get selected for random arrival test.
1). Are all random arrival tests at land borders (eg, Peace Arch) take-home kit that you do within 24hours? In other words, it's possible to not have to quarantine the first ~20hours after arrival under any circumstances?
2). I understand that you use some type of app to schedule a video appointment within 24hours of arrival where they watch you do the self-test. Are these video appointments available abundantly, or is it pretty slim picking? Are appointments available as late as 6 or 7pm at night?
3). Is there an authorized sample drop off centre in Whistler? I see that there is a Fedex office in Whistler, but are all Fedex offices authorized drop off sites?
4). Just want to confirm that you're allowed to leave Canada before the results come back.

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
4). Just want to confirm that you're allowed to leave Canada before the results come back.
Asked and answered in the very active Canada rules changing ..... thread:

Originally Posted by fereke
Now wondering what would happen if no result received by the time I am due to leave Canada.
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
You just leave. Nobody will stop you.
evergrn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.