Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
I know this probably has been mentioned before but I couldn’t find it on FT or Google: are US citizens driving into the US from Canada also required to get a negative test result beforehand? And could someone post an official source for this?
Done it 20+ times. USA driving is exactly the same as 2019. Only immigration and customs. No covid test. No vaccine. And no lines.
Nayef likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Seems like it’s been finalized and I’ll be driving thorough Highgate Springs, VT on Monday. But for ArriveCAN, what should I put as my arrival time? I’m not even sure what time I’ll be at the border. Don’t know how much they’ll take issue if I arrive before or after the submitted time.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:26 pm

Seems like it’s been finalized and I’ll be driving thorough Highgate Springs, VT on Monday. But for ArriveCAN, what should I put as my arrival time? I’m not even sure what time I’ll be at the border. Don’t know how much they’ll take issue if I arrive before or after the submitted time.
Many times I have showed up at the border hours early or late and even at different border crossings. No one cared. I simply gave him my passport, arrivecan code and covid test.
seawolf and Nayef like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Many times I have showed up at the border hours early or late and even at different border crossings. No one cared. I simply gave him my passport, arrivecan code and covid test.
My experience via air too. I same day changed a flight arriving into YVR 4 hours later. No issues.

James
Nayef likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the advice.

My friend is coming with me but he’s staying for a month while I’m only staying five days. As per this from AreiveCAN, we wouldn’t be able to use the same receipt despite traveling together. Does anyone though know what is meant by “exemptions” in the last line here?

Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the advice.

My friend is coming with me but he’s staying for a month while I’m only staying five days. As per this from AreiveCAN, we wouldn’t be able to use the same receipt despite traveling together. Does anyone though know what is meant by “exemptions” in the last line here?

Exemption from quarantine.
Nayef likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:20 am

Thanks for the advice.

I have flown and driven into Canada several times with family and we were all staying a different number of days all using the same ArriveCAN code. No one asked. No one cared. They are focused on your entry. Not your exit. And travel plans can often change after arriving in Canada.
Nayef likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:16 am

One more question: if my PCR result comes out I’ll probably be in VT and likely won’t have anywhere to print it. Would CBSA accept an electronic copy off my phone?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:30 am

One more question: if my PCR result comes out I’ll probably be in VT and likely won’t have anywhere to print it. Would CBSA accept an electronic copy off my phone?
Yes.
Nayef likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Once the U.S. border is opened to fully vaccinated Canadians we will be permitted to enter by land without showing a test. We are however required to show a negative test taken within 72 hours when re-entering Canada regardless of vaccination status.

The CBSA cannot turn away a Canadian citizen. What would happen if a fully-vaccinated Canadian citizen arrived at a land border and does not have a test result? Quarantine? And should that Canadian citizen be tested after his arrival and the results are negative does that relieve him of the quarantine requirement?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Once the U.S. border is opened to fully vaccinated Canadians we will be permitted to enter by land without showing a test. We are however required to show a negative test taken within 72 hours when re-entering Canada regardless of vaccination status.

The CBSA cannot turn away a Canadian citizen. What would happen if a fully-vaccinated Canadian citizen arrived at a land border and does not have a test result? Quarantine? And should that Canadian citizen be tested after his arrival and the results are negative does that relieve him of the quarantine requirement?
Northbound into Canada this has been in effect since July 5. I understand the fine is $5,000+ if the traveller refuses to go back to USA to get the required covid test. Quarantine is only for the unvaccinated.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Northbound into Canada this has been in effect since July 5. I understand the fine is $5,000+ if the traveller refuses to go back to USA to get the required covid test. Quarantine is only for the unvaccinated.
Thanks. I found the answer after a little more searching.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

• If a Canadian citizen, person registered under the Indian Act, or permanent resident does not provide proof of a valid molecular test result they:
    • will be allowed entry, but may be subject to a fine of up to $5,000 plus additional surcharges or face criminal prosecution
    • may also be required to go to a designated quarantine facility if they are symptomatic on arrival at the border, or do not have a suitable quarantine plan
This makes driving to Buffalo and flying from there more attractive than leaving from YYZ. One less test and should you test positive while away it's easier to return home as opposed to being stranded far from home.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:55 pm

Thanks. I found the answer after a little more searching.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

This makes driving to Buffalo and flying from there more attractive than leaving from YYZ. One less test and should you test positive while away it's easier to return home as opposed to being stranded far from home.

I agree flying from Buffalo saves you the US antigen test. But if you test positive outside Canada how exactly is it easier to drive back to Canada? You’ll just pay the $5,000+ fine and tell them you forgot to take the covid test vs disclosing that you tested positive?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:17 pm
Suspended

I agree flying from Buffalo saves you the US antigen test. But if you test positive outside Canada how exactly is it easier to drive back to Canada? You’ll just pay the $5,000+ fine and tell them you forgot to take the covid test vs disclosing that you tested positive?
The difference is I get into the country. I'd rather disclose my positive status and spend two weeks quarantined in Canada than two weeks out of the country being unable to board a plane to Canada.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:56 pm

The difference is I get into the country. I'd rather disclose my positive status and spend two weeks quarantined in Canada than two weeks out of the country being unable to board a plane to Canada.
From what I’ve read if you test positive you must self isolate not quarantine with anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.