Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
As a US citizen, can you drive across the border with just a drivers license and a birth certificate? Or has that program ended? The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative page on the government website says it’s still possible, but the Canada entry page contradicts it. Anyone know if you can cross the border as a US citizen without a passport or passport card by land?
YMMV. Technically speaking CBSA can admit based on verbal declaration of citizenship at land border.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:15 pm
ALW

I believe there's no actual requirement for proof of citizenship (which technically a DL and birth certificate don't give) but those documents are handy. Also Canada is saying that so you'll have less trouble getting back into US. As a US citizen, the US would have to admit you even without the right documentation, but you'd have to work to prove it. Same for Canadians entering Canada really, you'd have to prove your eligibility somehow.

Note that both ON and QC have dropped the EDL programs, not sure about other provinces (I suggested it to someone as an alternative to getting a passport just for driving over the border, then I discovered ON had dropped too).
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ALW
I believe there's no actual requirement for proof of citizenship (which technically a DL and birth certificate don't give) but those documents are handy. Also Canada is saying that so you'll have less trouble getting back into US. As a US citizen, the US would have to admit you even without the right documentation, but you'd have to work to prove it. Same for Canadians entering Canada really, you'd have to prove your eligibility somehow.

Note that both ON and QC have dropped the EDL programs, not sure about other provinces (I suggested it to someone as an alternative to getting a passport just for driving over the border, then I discovered ON had dropped too).
Yup, EDL has been phased out in support of the Nexus program. Honestly EDL kinda sucked, you had to go to specific Service Ontarios to renew and made it kinda inconvenient to carry. RFID was on the card too, made it easy for sniffers to pickup the data. They sent out metal sleeved holders for EDLs to prevent it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.