Reload this Page >

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Thank you. So are you saying that as long as the test is done that particular day, it doesn't matter if it's done in Canada? (for unvaccinated kids 5-8, to comply with the day 1 testing requirement). That's great news if so.
Are you asking about the Day 1 arrival test that is required by Canada for unvaccinated travelers? If so, that is done either at the border in a tent after you clear CBSA or you they will give you a home test to take home which you must do over video within 24 hours. There is no cost. If that isn’t what you are asking, then I am not sure what you mean. But the Day 1 test required by Canada is done by LifeLabs, contracted by the Canadian government. It is not something you need to arrange yourself. You both do need a PCR test taken in the US to enter Canada.

Have a look here. Scroll down to Arrival Testing. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...rrival-testing

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 16, 2021 at 10:56 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Originally Posted by iahphx
Obviously the situation can change, but my experience finding openings at Walgreens was very poor. CVS seems to have many more slots. I assume the CVS "rapid result" test works just as well (as far as getting into Canada) as the Walgreens test? My only concern is that it's in a different box from the test they describe as "Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)."
No, CVS Rapid-result test is an antigen test, and this is not allowed for entrance into Canada.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I'm finding ALL the discussions about testing requirements for Canada to be ridiculously confusing and obscure. The question is extremely simple. If you're an American who wants to enter Canada by land now, what is the easiest/cheapest test to take, and how do you take it? Are any self-tests accepted? If you go to an American pharmacy chain (Walgreens, CVS, etc), is an easy/cheap test readily available? Is it called "ID Now"? Do they swab? Is it not a deep swab? Do you get the results fast? What does it cost?
Thank you!
You've asked all the questions that I have.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I'm finding ALL the discussions about testing requirements for Canada to be ridiculously confusing and obscure.
It is pretty simple. For entry from the US, you need a molecular test (not an antigen test) taken in the US no more than 72 hours prior to the departure time of your flight into Canada if arriving by air or no more than 72 hours from the time you arrive at the border crossing if entering by land. Accepted molecular tests can be PCR, Lamp, NAAT (Abbott IDNow is a NAAT) etc. The list of accepted tests is here https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...try-vaccinated

The question is extremely simple. If you're an American who wants to enter Canada by land now, what is the easiest/cheapest test to take, and how do you take it?
That depends where you are. The easiest/cheapest that I am aware of is the Abbott IDNow from Walgreens (free, their Red Dot test) but it is not available everywhere so you have to look in your area. CVS is also free, as are many other tests in the US. Just make sure it is a molecular test and not an antigen test and that you will get the result back in time.
Are any self-tests accepted?
Not that I am aware of. Someone on another thread mentioned a PCR self test but I wouldn’t chance it myself until I heard some data points that they were successful using it to enter Canada. Canada requires certain information to be on the test result and one is the name and address of the lab that administered the test. I don’t see how a PCR self-test would have that but it would be good to see some data points if it does actually work.
If you go to an American pharmacy chain (Walgreens, CVS, etc), is an easy/cheap test readily available? Is it called "ID Now"? Do they swab? Is it not a deep swab? Do you get the results fast? What does it cost?
See above. IDNow is a rapid molecular test with results in anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or two. It is a shallow nasal swab. At Walgreens, it is a drive thru, self-swab and it is free. IDNow is not offered everywhere (i.e. not available in CA for example) so check your area.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
No, CVS Rapid-result test is an antigen test, and this is not allowed for entrance into Canada.
Has anyone been to CVS for their "Canada Covid test"?
On their website they include PCR and NAAT is the same box, with the (apparently prohibited) rapid test in the other box. I guess I'll have to do more research (sigh). In New England, it seems 10x harder to get a Covid testing appointment at Walgreens (at least for ID Now) than it is to get a test at CVS.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Has anyone been to CVS for their "Canada Covid test"?
On their website they include PCR and NAAT is the same box, with the (apparently prohibited) rapid test in the other box. I guess I'll have to do more research (sigh). In New England, it seems 10x harder to get a Covid testing appointment at Walgreens (at least for ID Now) than it is to get a test at CVS.
PCR and NAAT are both fine to enter Canada.

Rapid test (antigen) from CVS is NOT valid to enter Canada.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Friends used the CVS test (free) in Massachusetts over the weekend. PCR and results within 24 hrs. Flew back Sunday to YYZ. No issues.
iahphx likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:09 am

Driving with minors

Will be driving from NY to ON tomorrow across Whirlpool Bridge which is dedicated to Nexus holders.

We all have taken the CVS PCR tests and all came back negative. However, the kid’s results are only provided by calling a toll free number. How do I prove that to the CBSA agent that the pre test was done and negative? I know they will need to get an arrival test or a test kit to do.

Maybe the answer is in the ArriveCAN app but I haven’t done that yet.

Any experiences?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eiloo
Will be driving from NY to ON tomorrow across Whirlpool Bridge which is dedicated to Nexus holders.

We all have taken the CVS PCR tests and all came back negative. However, the kid’s results are only provided by calling a toll free number. How do I prove that to the CBSA agent that the pre test was done and negative? I know they will need to get an arrival test or a test kit to do.

Maybe the answer is in the ArriveCAN app but I haven’t done that yet.

Any experiences?
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested

Providing proof of your result

When you arrive at the border, you must present an accepted test result (paper or electronic proof) which must include:
  • Traveller name and date of birth
  • Name and civic address of the laboratory/clinic/facility that administered the test
  • The date on which the test was conducted
  • The type of test conducted
  • The test result
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:15 pm

Thanks seawolf. I’ll see what I can do to get CVS to send me something that I can print or take a photo of. Confirmation of negative is only provided on the phone for minors through their automated system.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:25 pm

Thanks seawolf. I’ll see what I can do to get CVS to send me something that I can print or take a photo of. Confirmation of negative is only provided on the phone for minors through their automated system.
in case this helps anyone, if you use CVS to test minors, after you text or call the number to get the results you can speak with a rep (need to call again) and they will send you a link to a secure portal to download PDFs of their results since they don’t send minors’ results in MyChart.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:13 pm

I drove across land border today at Detroit tunnel. Uneventful just like 2019. I was concerned as in ArriveCan I put down Sarnia Blue Water Bridge crossing point but he didn’t care. I also arrived 4 hours later than stated in ArriveCan due to traffic and flight delay into DTW. Again he never mentioned it.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:19 pm

My Experience at Peace Bridge - NY to ON

Crossed at Peace Bridge yesterday. Almost right on time as I entered into ArriveCan. I have two, unvacinated minors that I was taking across the border. A little bit longer for the agent to check off boxes in their system at the Nexus booth. Sent us to secondary inspection and the agent their looked at our printed Covid test results from CVS and said we were good to go. I reminded him that we had two minors and then he went to get Covid test kits.

FYI, there is a test site at Fort Erie Racetrack. You could probably do it quicker on Zoom but we thought we would just get it over with.

Hoping for an uneventful crossing back to the US next weekend.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:25 pm

Crossed at Peace Bridge yesterday. Almost right on time as I entered into ArriveCan. I have two, unvacinated minors that I was taking across the border. A little bit longer for the agent to check off boxes in their system at the Nexus booth. Sent us to secondary inspection and the agent their looked at our printed Covid test results from CVS and said we were good to go. I reminded him that we had two minors and then he went to get Covid test kits.

FYI, there is a test site at Fort Erie Racetrack. You could probably do it quicker on Zoom but we thought we would just get it over with.

Hoping for an uneventful crossing back to the US next weekend.
I drove into USA today. Exactly like 2019 except
wearing masks. No covid test. No vaccination. No lines. Just what you have to declare.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Aug 21, 2021 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Drove across Peace Bridge on 8/16. Two adults, two teenagers. Filled out the stuff in the ArriveCan app. Used the Nexus lane, just one car ahead of me - traffic very light. Asked all the usual questions. The person did briefly get confused about the dates of the COVID tests (I was at about 50 hours) but cleared that up. After this we were sent over to some trailers they have set up between the initial booths and the tolls. Agent came out and asked to see proof of COVID tests (I used PDF’s printed out) and vaccine cards (CDC ones). We never even got out of the car - maybe an extra 3 minutes, very easy. Not full secondary. After that we went through.

Coming back into the US yesterday we also used NEXUS, again not much traffic. Got asked the usual questions, then onward.
seawolf, eiloo and OSSYULYYZ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.