Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Soopergal
We arrived in YYZ from St lucia on Dec 31st evening. Direct flight, no connection and we didn't get held up in the plane. Another good reason for living in Toronto.

Arrival was smooth. Got the pink sticker. Did the test. Was out of of the airport within 20 mins of arrival. it has been almost 4 days. no test results yet.
So how do they know if your pink or green sticker is from this arrival, or a previous arrival? If you had 3x arrivals in Canada, you would have 3x stickers. How can they tell which is the current one? (My is green, no date, but I was sent to test and as noted above, never got any results at all before I left the country again)

And agree with the others that this is a shocking waste of resources, especially when one reads online the people in BC etc who cannot even get tested at this point at testing centres when ill. Why waste all of this testing healthy people who had a negative test a few hours before?!
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:37 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mountainboy
Everything the Feds do is too much, too late.
Um, not to defend the Gov't, but you do realize it is not the feds who do the testing or process the test, eh?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, not to defend the Gov't, but you do realize it is not the feds who do the testing or process the test, eh?
It is the Feds who decided that international arriving passengers need to be tested upon arrival.
They contracted the various health operators, and forced this upon the airports.
Noone else was involved in the decision, only the Feds.
24left likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Also arrived at YYZ on Dec 31 afternoon (transiting on to domestic) and still waiting for a result 4 days later.
I guess whatever contract there is with the providers has this at lower priority than their private outbound travel tests (which makes sense for the providers and probably reduced the cost to the taxpayer significantly!).
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mountainboy
It is the Feds who decided that international arriving passengers need to be tested upon arrival.
Yup, we are in agreement there.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Switch Health seems to be the provider of the arrival PCR tests, paid for by the government. Cannot find a single answer on their website, as per how long does it take to get results. Fourth day and counting (2 of their people at the airport gave me 2 versions: 48hr and 72hr) In the meantime, vaxed or not, in quarantine...It seemed to me upon arrival all are sent to be tested.

I know of people who are 6 days after travel yet to get results. Anyone has any other DP re this company's service standards? It is the one thing that get me truly concerned about using their services at all..

Last edited by Doors Closing; Jan 4, 2022 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by exbayern
So how do they know if your pink or green sticker is from this arrival, or a previous arrival? If you had 3x arrivals in Canada, you would have 3x stickers. How can they tell which is the current one? (My is green, no date, but I was sent to test and as noted above, never got any results at all before I left the country again)
!
The old green sticker has different writing on it.

However that didnt stop the sticker checker from telling us to leave without testing without I assume noticing the pink sticker on the other side of the passport.
Who are we to argue.

The more green stickers you have the better I guess 😂
EmailKid and exbayern like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:07 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I already had green sticker and they did not give me a new green sticker so I only have one. My wife got green sticker on her passport and it looked different than mine; mine says PHAC in big letters and hers says PHAC-ASPC in small letters.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
Switch Health seems to be the provider of the arrival PCR tests, paid for by the government. Cannot find a single answer on their website, as per how long does it take to get results. Fourth day and counting (2 of their people at the airport gave me 2 versions: 48hr and 72hr) In the meantime, vaxed or not, in quarantine...It seemed to me upon arrival all are sent to be tested.

I know of people who are 6 days after travel yet to get results. Anyone has any other DP re this company's service standards? It is the one thing that get me truly concerned about using their services at all..
Not much better with Dynacare at YUL. Empty arrival, it seemed everyone was sent to testing. Light blue sticker with ASPC PHAC on the passport.
Nurse told me 24-48h when she took the swab. I called after 3 days and they said up to 5 days. I guess they'll say 7 when I call later today.
Can't help but comparing to DXB where I got results in 12h

Now wondering what would happen if no result received by the time I am due to leave Canada.
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by fereke
Same here. Got < 12h in UAE. Also <12 hours in Bermuda and Thailand.

This stuff of waiting multiple days is utterly ridiculous.
jlisi984 and leoo like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:15 am

Now wondering what would happen if no result received by the time I am due to leave Canada.
You just leave. Nobody will stop you.
fereke likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:31 am

Not much better with Dynacare at YUL. Empty arrival, it seemed everyone was sent to testing. Light blue sticker with ASPC PHAC on the passport.
Nurse told me 24-48h when she took the swab. I called after 3 days and they said up to 5 days. I guess they'll say 7 when I call later today.

Where there is no competition, there are no standards whatsoever: in the UK you could select and pay yourself from a list of PCR providers, and take the test within 48 hours, results are always provided by next day, and companies compete for you, the client. Since the providers are the sole options at their respective airports, their no-standards policy are upheld, no incentive at all. What is verily bewildering is that Air Canada is also now in bed with Switch Health, and countless travellers are in an elongated self-isolation...
airoli and 24left like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
It is my impression that the Federal Government is once again trying to make international travel as unpleasant as possible, without actually banning it. The onerous arrival test requirements, combined with ridiculous times until results are provided (no service standards defined with labs) and the requirement to quarantine in the meantime, are clearly intended to discourage people from travelling. At a time when community transmission within the - largely untested - general population in Canada is rampant, this is both stupid and despicable.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Doors Closing
Where there is no competition, there are no standards whatsoever: in the UK you could select and pay yourself from a list of PCR providers, and take the test within 48 hours, results are always provided by next day, and companies compete for you, the client. Since the providers are the sole options at their respective airports, their no-standards policy are upheld, no incentive at all. What is verily bewildering is that Air Canada is also now in bed with Switch Health, and countless travellers are in an elongated self-isolation...
Originally Posted by airoli
It is my impression that the Federal Government is once again trying to make international travel as unpleasant as possible, without actually banning it. The onerous arrival test requirements, combined with ridiculous times until results are provided (no service standards defined with labs) and the requirement to quarantine in the meantime, are clearly intended to discourage people from travelling. At a time when community transmission within the - largely untested - general population in Canada is rampant, this is both stupid and despicable.
I agree with both of these statements and have an even hotter take. I think the Canadian government is not very interested in ensuring compliance of the supposed quarantine / self-isolation requirements until results are available (or even after a positive test). I've been home for 2 days waiting for my Switch Health results, and the government has done absolutely nothing to encourage, much less enforce, my isolation. Immediately after the test, I was free to go on my own merry way, and since I don't drive, getting to my apartment required either taking public transit or sharing a vehicle with an Uber / taxi driver or a friend. Once at home, there is none of the surveillance nor support mechanisms countries actually serious about quarantine requirements have put in place. There is also the now well-known stat that the government had "no idea if 75 per cent of air arrivals obeyed hotel quarantine rule".

All that leads me to conclude that this travel advisory + testing requirement are intended to:
  • Make travel as inconvenient as possible to discourage it, and
  • Put on political theatre to show the public the government is doing something.
airoli, nnn, mountainboy and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
I agree with both of these statements and have an even hotter take. I think the Canadian government is not very interested in ensuring compliance of the supposed quarantine / self-isolation requirements until results are available (or even after a positive test). I've been home for 2 days waiting for my Switch Health results, and the government has done absolutely nothing to encourage, much less enforce, my isolation. Immediately after the test, I was free to go on my own merry way, and since I don't drive, getting to my apartment required either taking public transit or sharing a vehicle with an Uber / taxi driver or a friend. Once at home, there is none of the surveillance nor support mechanisms countries actually serious about quarantine requirements have put in place. There is also the now well-known stat that the government had "no idea if 75 per cent of air arrivals obeyed hotel quarantine rule".

All that leads me to conclude that this travel advisory + testing requirement are intended to:
  • Make travel as inconvenient as possible to discourage it, and
  • Put on political theatre to show the public the government is doing something.
"Political theatre" is a great way to put it, thank you for that.

Arriving into T3 5 days ago (and still awaiting PCR results...) if there is any place I could get positive IS YYZ T3! Social-distancing? the CBSA hall was over-crowded, packed to the extent I cannot recall in years of rather intense travelling. Waiting in line at the hall is the first part, if you missed the virus there, no worries, waiting with the same pax at the Switch Health arrival hall is next, and same 30 minutes wait. In the last few weeks I have not been to ANY place where chances of getting the virus were so high...The Switch Health facility could have been replaced by the same options as I mentioned in my upper post, i.e. select your provider and do it yourself within 48 hours, much better experience, less crowded airports!
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.